Yet another 'Is it Me' day

Bad / good day today:

Is all this Shakespeare lark, about commemorating his birth or his death? I've heard and read both. Does anybody care?

Obama - has he well & truly shafted Johnson? I think so.

Caravaners. A prog to be shown midweek. Can't think of anything worse. Well maybe ........ Caravaners vs Mobiles. Both equally horrible.

That should stir things up .

Oh dear Gardian, I thought that everyone knew that the Shakespeare400 is a consortium of leading cultural, creative and

educational organisations, coordinated by King’s College London, which

will mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death in 2016
. Through a

connected series of public performances, programmes, exhibitions and

creative activities in the capital and beyond, partners will celebrate

the legacy of Shakespeare during the quatercentenary year.

"which

will mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death in 2016"

If that is the case then don't hold yer breath because you still have 400 years to wait? Or is that just a BAD way of wording it?

As for caravaners V mobiles? No real contest. you can't sleep in a phone, but if you are out in the wilds with your caravan and a mobile at least you can call your friends in comfort. Just as long as you can get a signal that is [:-))]

As for the hate of caravans on the road is concerned.. The biggest problem is not usually the car and the caravan it's towing, but the car behind the car and caravan. A car/caravan is not difficult to overtake, but when you get some clown behind the rig that won't overtake and won't leave room for others then you have the same thing as a dammed great long truck. Then it becomes a problem. So it ain't the car/caravan but the car behind that's the problem! Init [:D]

[quote user="vette"]

He died on his birthday so I suppose it's both![/quote]

Not very old then? [:(]

At most 24 hours [:-))]

Quick learner and writer me-thinks [Www][Www]

I

think that it's one of the things the French got right by having an

anniversaire and perhaps we should adopt birthdate instead [8-|]

Now caravans / camping cars.

Is there anybody else who's prepared to stick their head above the proverbial parapet and join me in saying that they hate them on the roads?

Around here, they're usually Dutch. You know that they bring their own spuds down with them AND take the peelings back? A well known fact.

I used to feel the same until we did 2 things. The 1st, we bought a caravan and 2 we went on a Caravan Club course to learn about what we had bought. After that I realised that it isn't the caravan rig driver that's at fault a lot of the time but the idiot who sticks up his bum, won't pass and makes it impossible for others to pass what has become a very long vehicle train. One of my claims to fame when towing was to pass 3 cars on the Mulsanne Straight with our van on the back! I had the best of the safety features including a good snaking satbiliser and Tyron wheel bands. If you don't know what they are then google them.

It's a case of never owned a caravan then you have no idea of what you have missed..

To be honest, it's something I'm totally prepared to have missing from my CV. The idea of holidaying in a biscuit tin in a field appeals about as much as root canal work. If others enjoy it, fair play to them, but from the point of view of personal preference (with the emphasis on "personal") I know I haven't missed anything I actually care about missing.

I DO know what I am missing, thanks. I have friends who live on a narrow boat. Permanently. Ive stayed on their narrow boat. Twice. And if you're saying that camping cars and caravans are not quite as good (the "next best thing"), then trust me, I'm not only aware of what I'm missing, I'm absolutely fine with missing it.

I have no axe to grind, if you love that sort of thing fair play to you, but I don't, and I don't plan on changing my mind. So you caravanners carry on, but please save your energy if you are trying to convert or convince me. It won't happen.

And when I was a penniless student, I camped in France. It was OK, but the morning I woke up with 43 mozzie bites (I counted) was the day I vowed not to do it ever again.

We are all different Betty and thankfully so. We can't stand beach holidays and I wouldn't have a motor home if you paid me. We loved our time camping and then caravanning, but the one holiday we had, with my sister and b-in-law, on a narrow boat cured us of that experience for life!

I have always been amused by the number of motor homes who tow a car on a trailer? It seems to be the caravan towing the car and although I can manoeuvre a trailer or caravan and put it exactly where I want it it must be a bind having to unhitch a trailer to do any kind of reversing because you can't see it. OK, these days they have reversing cameras, but it is a weird idea to me. I am also amused by the number of motor homes, costing lots of 10 of 1,000 of €€€ who can't or won't use a camp site because of the cost? Still, once again it's their preference?

The one canal boat that I have spent a week on, with the owner, is this one. That was when we took it down to the other side of Narbonne for him to do some work on on the dry dock. Plus several days when it's had to be moved for work on the Canal du Midi. It's a fantastic, if scary, experience with just the 2 of us and he wanders of up the front to do something and leaves me driving it [:-))] But I wouldn't miss it for the world!!

I'd love at some point to do a trip on the Canal du Midi, but on a big barge rather than a narrow boat. That sort of thing looks like fun.

I like all kinds of holidays, but I'm happy to admit that (time in France aside, because I don't regard it as a "holiday" in the same way) the one thing I don't want my holiday to be is self-catering. I can self-cater at home, thanks. That's NOT a holiday.

There are several peniches that give hotel type holidays on the Canal Betty, BUT they ain't cheap at around 5000€/week all found !!! Even the hire boats are expensive, just check?

A friend had a hire boat for a day several years back for a family party on the canal and that was 200€ and had to be back late afternoon.. It wasn't a very big boat.

As for the peniche holiday? About as welcome as a beach holiday for us??