Why Move to France ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minty said...

'Didn't I tell you to say what it is that is bothering you about expats or anyone else and I almost guarantee that I will have something to say to make you feel better?'

Nothing bothers me about expats Minty. Well apart from this....

http://ex-patradio.com/ (only follow this expat link if you are not feeling suicidal)

..and mobile chip shops.

Well I suppose the town of Eymet annoys me too since your asking. Uninsured Brits driving illegal RHD cars, they don't bother me.

Chancer, do you remember expat radiooo ? They are still going bless them.

Now Minty, amuse me by making me feel better during my midlife crisis.

Nothing wrong with Eymet. In fact it's where eccentrics gather... And it is hosting a depart in the Tour de France next year!

You'd fit in well and could join all the grumpy old men in the Cafe de Paris on a Friday night.

There is a little bit of expat radiooo around though... Good for when the in laws visit.

I have to say I can get some of your anxieties. Being a naturally risk averse person when OH suggested I give up my nice secure job and come and live in France, on a building site and survive on a quarter of the money I was used to I had panic attacks at the thought. However the reality of our day to life was that we both worked hard all week, and then Friday evening, exhausted, one of us would drive 2 hours to the other's house, arrive shattered, spend all Saturday morning recovering, get Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning to do stuff together and then have to go home again and start all over again. We talked about whether it would possible to change things in England to have the life we wanted, but that would have been 10 times more expensive to buy a house where we would have wanted to live and we did not want another mortgage. In the end the risks seemed worth taking.

LOL mint, I like calm and quiet, and some may call what I like, 'dead', but with the proviso that there is stuff to do when I want. And that is why even if I had stayed in France, a move to somewhere with 'life' all the year round would have been essential, I was all country living'd out.

And dead also has many meanings, and for the young, with no prospects, and being family dependant, I'm sure that it has a different meaning to yours or mine. Especially as the family has had to financially keep under 25 year olds. And even now, under 25 year olds do not 'just' get any allocations to help them.

And what sort of place will people end up with if all the young families leave, or most of them, how do the oldies like me for example get their medical treatment, and I have seen on french news that there are problems in rural France with getting GP's etc, talk of hospitals closing, maybe some have, plus all the ancillary stuff associated with care.

And that is just the french, add to the mix, with people who buy and do not parlez vous, never mind french medical stuff and who should really pay for their fantasy dream home being far from the madding crowd's  and their subsequent requirement for care, because frankly I do not want to. And it seems to me that british people at least, believe that it is a right, no matter where they live.

And the trouble with much in life, is, and I see from so many I personally know, they do not look at the big picture and decide what will be best for them other than now, and make no provision for at least normal problems with old age, never mind serious illness.

Family members moving in their mid 60's, from a home on the flat to the top of a hill and away from all conveniences, both having had great responsible jobs and never imagined that 20 years later that they would not manage that steep hill, nor be allowed to drive. And she was a senior nurse!

----------------------------------------------

And now I have mentioned not being allowed to drive, as we age, we all risk being unable to drive any more. What do people who live in the middle of nowhere do when moving to this dream home, which is not within a reasonable walking distance of shops or bus stops, if there are any. Some people will have sufficient funds to pay for taxis or move somewhere else without difficulty, but others won't. And if properties are not selling.........???? exactly what then????????? eventually another derelict building nulle part in France?????????? I do wonder.

Do you know many who would do that, Idun, particularly in their 60s?

I don't think I know anybody, French or English, who has done that, far away from amenities, transport etc.

We knew what we wanted aged about 60; a small, lively town open all year with all facilities, and that's what we bought. 2 minutes to the nearest small supermarket, 3 minutes to the bus stop to the nearest towns, 5 minutes to the main square where the markets are held twice-weekly. The only thing missing is a hospital, but there are 3 to choose from when the pompiers arrive.

Lindal says..'Nothing wrong with Eymet'

Eymet sounds like Maplin's holiday camp with less class. Sunburnt British expats walking around aimlessly with handkerchiefs on their head, eating fish and chips and singing the white cliffs of Dover..

I just don't see point of going there never mind moving there.

I bet the start off the line from Eymet in next years Tour de France will be the quickest in history.

Eymet, never been there and not likely to visit any time soon.  So, what the town's like, how people (expat or otherwise) live there is not of any immediate interest to me.

Oh dear, ALBF, I have NEVER seen that website you have posted about.  And, yes, nothing there to attract me but then I'd never go there, except just now and that's by way of research![:D]

What I do like is GG's, talking about dancing in the rain!  Don't mind doing that in summer, GG, but not on a dreary old, weary old November day with incessant drizzly rain like today.

Wools, mock all you like about agony aunts, but I never read those sorts of columns.  Problems come in all shapes and sizes, so do human beings.  What's a problem to some people would be a stimulus to others.

I still don't get "dead", id, apologies.  But I get being left alone to do the things that I like doing.  When the time comes when I can no longer drive, I know how to get hold of someone to drive me who will not be charging me an arm and a leg.  And anyway, that time is hopefully distant and I might not even be around to see it[:)] Pas de souci!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Eymet sounds like Maplin's holiday camp with less class. Sunburnt British expats walking around aimlessly with handkerchiefs on their head, eating fish and chips and singing the white cliffs of Dover.. I just don't see point of going there never mind moving there. [/quote]

Right again, definitely not worth going there, because you have already made your mind up.

I have been there, there is enough diversity there for anyone to validate their pre-concieved notions so once again, dont go!

One little gem to share with you though, Eymet was the only place where I have witnessed a British builder speaking French and not using any conjugaison or tenses, every verb was used in the infinitive, now they exist around here but in Eymet he was understood without the French person batting an eyelid which speaks volumes for the patience and open-ness of the people.

Eymet has a very high percentage of British immigrants. At one point a lot of them were retirees, although many of those have returned to the Uk or are planning to. It has an English shop, a tea room and a cricket team. It's not a bad little town really, especially in winter. In the summer it's a bit busy for me. In the 1950s you heard more Italian spoken in Eymet than French and now you hear more English.

There are now a lot of families and younger Anglo/French kids around. If the French news ever want the views of the British in France they usual go to Eymet on market day.

OH and I talked about the driving issue. Age and ability doesn't seem to stop people driving here, but we said if it got to the point when we couldn't drive we would probably move closer to somewhere like Eymet, or maybe Bergerac. Or maybe by then cars will be self driving? If you get one of the newer automatics with self parking, speed controls etc. driving requires very limited use of other faculties now so in 20 years time they may be fully automated.

@Chancer

Sounds loverly.

Whether it is nice or not nice, cosmopolitan or not cosmopolitan, I am not driving all the way down there to find out. It is quicker for me to drive to Sussex and have a decent pint, proper Scampi and Chips, decent conversation and a game of pool.

Sussex vs Eymet. Hmmmmm ??

Stop yapping on about language Chancer. I know french builders who can't read, write or speak any form understandable language. As long as they can build a wall straight I really don't care if they can recite shakespeare in swahili.

The OP seems to be bored; judging by his posting times he is at home a lot or using employment time to post. Maybe his OH is the brains and the earner and he the brawn.

Whichever, attacking the good people who have moved to France, where they choose to live and how much they pay or have paid for their property does seem a bit crass.

PatHCA is quite right, it has got people shooting from the hip in this dull pre-festive season.

Wooly, that was your 10,562 post. LOL....and not one of your best methinks.

You are right though, I do work on the computer. With a view of the Effiel Tower I might add. Lucky me.

You don't have to read my daft posts. Well, actually I don't think you actually read them otherwise you would not have said what you have said..

Allez, Loose Women is just about to start on ITV.