How do the Greve affect your daily lives?

idun

I ask as there is rarely a mention of such things on here.

These things used to affect our lives all the time when we lived in France and still affect friends and our son still lives there.

Is anyone on here living in France and be unaffected or peu derange and if so, HOW does that work???

Idun wrote : I ask as there is rarely a mention of such things on here.

OH had an appointment for a stress test on his heart at our local hospital, about 22 kms away. As the farmers were blocking all the dual-carriageways and every roundabout we could not get there by any means so the test was deferred.

For once it must have been quite peaceful in Cardiology.

Otherwise when the petrol deliverers were not delivering you could see the odd car abandoned at the roadside with a notice 'no fuel'.

In my English lesson we talked about the man who stockpiled lots of bidons of petrol and advertised them for sale on leboncoin - before he was advised by the police that it was not legal to stockpile fuel in such a manner, never mind try to sell it on. So the strike gave my group a useful point for discussion.

Sue

Usually the trains only run a limited service so if I am working I have to drive, which is a bit of a pain. If the farmers block le Cleric you have to park the car somewhere else and walk. This time round there was a march through the centre of Bergerac, which my visitors thought was amusing. I think we've just learned to adapt.

Mostly transport to Uni for our youngest. We have had the situation where SNCF could not even find the train that was supposed to be running. Only contact was by landline when the train was in a the down line station. The Uni town tram and bus service is the same union, so when one goes on strike, the whole transport system is closed. Here in Nantes I quite enjoy watching the "manifestations" until they get too violent.

So far the impacts have been exclusively with transport. SNCF cancellations, Air traffic controller walkouts, Air France cabin staff etc. but the worst effect was when Lufthansa pilots went on strike and the OH had to cancel a long anticipated trip back to Germany to meet up with her girlfriends. So not just a French phenomenon.

With that exception we have always found a work around - inconvenient certainly; but we have always made it to our destination.

A useful tip;some sat navs have apps or show routes where there are traffic holdups, including those caused by strikers. They also show workaround routes which will save time if caught out by the little ruggers.

As soon as she has finished unpacking the car, I am sure that l'Oiseau will be here to give the details.