Seine still rising

The Seine at Paris is still rising and is now well over 6 metres above its normal level. The record is over 8 metres. Metro and RER lines are concerned, some stations are shut and the Louvre has closed one of its basements. Other government buildings have moved valuable archives and collections to safer places.

Apparently, the French foreign office found a couple of ex- ministers asleep in the basement where they had lived and drawn pay since the 1960s; the oldest one had the rank of Minister for the Algerian Department!

The other one had hidden down there when it was thought Paris mght be bombed by the retreating Germans, but can no longer remember what his job was!

The Rhone is also running high - nothing like the Seine mind, still 4m of its high point, but it is the first time I have seen it locally breach its banks. The entrance to the hospital car park was damp and you wonder what happens if water levels rise further.

[quote user="andyh4"]The Rhone is also running high - nothing like the Seine mind, still 4m of its high point, but it is the first time I have seen it locally breach its banks. The entrance to the hospital car park was damp and you wonder what happens if water levels rise further.[/quote]

I used the Metro today and it was surprisingly quiet. Perhaps the locals were so worried by flooding they had all decided to stay away.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I don't think it is high as it was 2016 when we were in Paris.

It is spectacular to the Seine in Paris that high. You can't really appreciate unless you see it for real.

Shame you can't post pictures on this forum
as I have a few.[/quote]

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/13012895lpw-13012965-article-la-seine-jpg_4936221_660x281_zpskhhmhnjb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/13012895lpw-13012965-article-la-seine-jpg_4936221_660x281_zpskhhmhnjb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]