Brexit preparations, e.g. pet travel.

There are many conflicting reports about whether there will be chaos at the Channel ports the event of "no deal", especially around Calais / Eurotunnel, including statements that there will be no disruption of entry on the French side.

But as the EU have said that in that event of no deal, southbound traffic would be entering the EU and subject to the normal immigration and customs checks for third countries. For there to be "no disruption" implies the necessity for at least some physical infrastructure to be up and running on March 30.

While Calais does have some Customs and Immigration (being a normal port), and airports have the Blue EU entry line (which Brits will no longer be able to use), the Tunnel has only ever been a National (UK/France) border and never an EU external border. So the only French (and now EU) entry check point is at Folkestone.

Has anyone on this forum resident in that area seen ANY physical signs of work to construct any facilities?

As an example, because the Pet passport scheme will not be available, both the UK and EU official advice is that "in the event of no-deal, on arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with their pets would be required to report to a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). At the TPE, the pet owner would be asked to present proof of microchip, vaccination and the blood test result alongside their pet’s health certificate.”

The only Tunnel Pet centre is on the Coquelles side and can only be reached AFTER entering France (i.e. the EU) so unless the requirement is NOT implemented which seems a bit improbable in the political circumstances, an additional check point or road changes are needed to make it happen. Similarly there have been no customs facilities for checks of either people or cars on the Tunnel. Has anyone seen ANY evidence of actual work?

Well Steve, I go through the tunnel by car at least 12 times a year and get customs checked occasionally. As for transporting animals, it's not on my radar so I don't know. We travelled last week and didn't notice any works apart from normal modifications.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Steve, as the previous poster, not seen any sign of Brexit preparations on the French side in my frequent crossings.. Frankly, I dont think anyone knows what the helll is going on.[/quote]

You are correct woolly..... no one knows. Everybody waiting for the Brits to, once again, fire their salvo first.

After posting a message to Eurotunnel an executive in charge of Pet and Frequent Traveller actually rang me back rather than emailing.

Basically they have no more information than in early November but some of their people were meeting DEFRA officials to discuss pets issues yesterday (10th).

They don't have any preparations in place because they don't know what they need to prepare for, but are thinking about where checks could be done off site as there is no space at Cheriton and are worried about blocking the M20 with tailbacks.

Went a bit quiet when I reminded her that EU have stated they will have no option but to impose passenger and car customs checks as well as getting the "landing card" extras (where staying, how long, support funds) as well, which could be done by adding to the APIS form, but that needs collaboration with France.

In passing said she had already got her International Driving Permit. No plans to raise charges this year.....

NickP, like you I am a Frequent Traveller, as is my sister-in-law with dogs. You mention being occasionally pulled over for CUSTOMS checks. Can you clarify for me so I get my facts straight - we get stopped Folkestone side abut 1 in 5 times for a SECURITY check between the UYK passport booth and the French one. Similarly we have seen vehicles stopped (but never been been stopped ourselves) between the French and British passport checks and again I thought this was SECURITY not customs. I have never made a CUSTOMS declaration in either direction - have you?

In effect what our no-deal politicians seem to think is that we can walk out of the EU castle but then expect the EU to leave the drawbridge down and the gate open for us. My MP is one of these deluded individuals. With no deal in fact the EU is obliged to shut the gate behind us just like it was before when we were on the inside. The "deal" however bad they may think it is gives us a temporary key.

It sounds rather the case that not only does the right hand not know what the left is doing, but the fingers and thumbs aren't even getting on together[:(]

Anyway, we're not worried, as our local MP (at least, the one for the last place we lived), Claire Perry, stated quite categorically, on Question Time a few weeks ago, that nothing would change after Brexit for UK citizens in Europe, as Theresa May had agreed everything.[:D]

Steve wrote: I thought this was SECURITY not customs. I have never made a CUSTOMS declaration in either direction - have you?

You thought, did you? Well if you're a frequent traveller why are you asking questions about the tunnel situation, don't you look when you go through.

Why would I have to make a customs declaration, last time I looked we were still in the EU, if that changes after March then maybe I will, maybe I won't. So it's not something I will lose any sleep over.

On a separate, but possibly related note, we experienced for the first time last Saturday an attempt on the Calais side to make sense of the chaos that usually ensues during "busy periods".

On previous occasions, it's just been mayhem and more often than not a missed crossing slot, even arriving well in advance, as not enough booths are manned at check in, passport or security, resulting in massive tailbacks.

When we arrived last Saturday, we were filtered off into a holding area, away from the entrance booths, directed to a holding car park where we were put into queue lines relative to the crossing we had booked, and in due course filters back to the check-in booths. Here, the queues were only allowed to progress once there was no longer a queue for the passport/security booths on the other side.

OK, there was waiting involved, but it was a well-ordered and relatively painless process compared to our previous half dozen experiences, and indeed resulted in us getting a slightly earlier train than the one we'd booked.

Who knows, perhaps this is a system which will be used to manage the process in the event it's required after Brexit, and they're practising using it now to see how well it works?

NickP, the reason I queried it was you said " I go through the tunnel by car at least 12 times a year and get CUSTOMS checked occasionally." My emphasis added.

Having only ever been pulled over southbound for security and never northbound I just wanted to clarify whether some travellers such as yourself had experienced CUSTOMS checks as well. My understanding has been that CUSTOMS checks should not have occurred before, because as you say we are still (today) in the EU.

But the EU "no deal" advice from November 13 is quite explicit.

"As of the withdrawal date, controls of UK nationals upon entry to and exit from the Schengen area .... will follow the rules for third country nationals...... UK nationals .... be subject to thorough checks of all entry conditions for third country nationals upon entry.

As of the withdrawal date.... Luggage and other goods carried by or on travellers entering the EU from the United Kingdom will be subject to customs controls.

Regards

Steve

[quote user="woolybanana"]Betty, why not try and travel at off-peak times and avoid the queues, so much more civilized.

As regards pets, perhaps one might buy a rubber boat with a decent outboard and slip across the Channel in the night with them. It might be easier during the impending chaos period![/quote]

You might even get a really good deal for a rubber boat from people arriving.

Of course...not quite got the hang of Eurotunnel after only 25 years of using it....

We normally travel at off peak times. We do. It's much easier to do on our outward journey where we have only a short drive to the tunnel. It's a bit more difficult, timing-wise, on the return leg,when we've got to time our arrival at the tunnel at the end of an eight-hour drive.

Frankly, though, recent "off-peak" experience has been, if anything, worse, given that it seems pretty evident that Eurotunnel will pull trains and consolidate crossings if they feel it's not worth their while running the service. I've spent as long, if not longer, sitting and waiting for non-existent trains and being delayed by a couple of hours as a result, as I have sitting in queues at busier times. Frankly, it's not acceptable when you've got up at 3am to get an early crossing and you then end up waiting a couple of extra hours because of a "technical fault" thinly disguising a consolidation of several crossings.

And, given the 25 years of using Eurotunnel, last Saturday was the first and only time I've actually experienced the level of organisation we had. Normally they do next to nothing to ease the situation at busy times. In my obviously very limited experience, of course.

Steve, I have been custom checked in Cheriton several times and had the car searched. In Calais, we are always security checked and I have seen cars, although not many, pulled over and searched, which in my humble opinion is a customs check, it has never happened to me though in Calais. Mind you I'm a newbie at the tunnel game having only used it for 16 years. LOL (sorry I can't do emojis)

Many years ago I constantly travelled to France with my Van full of very expensive equipment. One night I arrived in Dieppe showed my carnet and was told that there wasn't an officer available of the correct rank to sign my Carnet. I explained that I had to be in Toulouse by the morning, the customs man said OK then I'll sign another piece of paper and you can go to the customs in Toulouse. I would imagine the same attitude will prevail after a short time following Brexit. Stop worrying, what will be will be. They will do what they do and we will adapt to whatever they decide.

Steve. You seem to be concerned about events that no-one know anything about ....... Even your government doesn't know what it is doing.

So, do not listen to hear-say (bruits de chiottes in my language) and wait until next Tuesday then wait for another 3 days after that. "We" might know more about it on the Brit side.

Thanks to NickP for his clarification....

EricD, I agree no-one knows anything for sure, but I raised this issue precisely to clarify what IS hear-say and what can be verified.

I had a one-to-one meeting about 2 months ago with my MP Steve Baker who is a Leave ultra ("shop steward" of the ERG) who made a number of statements that I subsequently "had cause to doubt". Baker was the Minister for Brexit preparations until he quit midsummer so is a significant Leave player though his constituency voted Remain.

Other ERG members have made public statements that on checking back to the sources and from my own professional knowledge I have found to be simply untrue. So the point of the post was to see if anyone can independently validate his statements to me about preparations at the Tunnel as well as comparing them with what a Tunnel executive told me yesterday. I sincerely hope that others who say it will all blow over are right and I am being unduly pessimistic !

Specifically for pet travel this may be your best source of information.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/news-and-views/policy/brexit/

ATM its just a simple check that paperwork is OK. Hopefully it will be similar if Brexit happens. RCVS will be a good place to check what needs to be done in terms of this paperwork.

Most hassle will probably be around lorries, but for passenger transport eg cars etc then it hopefully will not require too much extra infrastructure except more booths and obviously staff.

I am firmly in your "others" camp in terms of it ever happening.

Thanks, and I hope you are right. I've looked at that link and the Government one it sends you to.

That says "On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with their pets would be required to report to a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). At the TPE, the pet owner would be asked to present proof of microchip, vaccination and the blood test result alongside their pet’s health certificate."

My question to Eurotunnel was simply that as the entire tunnel complex is designated as a TPE, where will we physically go to present this information?"

The Eurotunnel manager in charge of Pet Travel told me on Thursday they don't know and will have to loomfor somewhere off the Tunnel site as they have no space there. So fingers crossed that it's not needed.....

Thanks, and I hope you are right. I've looked at that link and the Government one it sends you to.

That says "On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with their pets would be required to report to a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). At the TPE, the pet owner would be asked to present proof of microchip, vaccination and the blood test result alongside their pet’s health certificate."

My question to Eurotunnel was simply that as the entire tunnel complex is designated as a TPE, where will we physically go to present this information?

The Eurotunnel manager in charge of Pet Travel told me on Thursday they don't know and will have to look for somewhere off the Tunnel site as they have no space there. So fingers crossed that it's not needed.....