Bridge collapse

The collapse of the suspension bridge at Mirepoix en Tarn and the tragic loss of life highlights yet again the potentially dangerous state of many bridges and viaducts in France - the number is put at 25000

Since the awful collapse in Genoa the French have rushed to check them, yet, no emergency plan seems to have been put into action to make safe or demolish and rebuild or whatever.

The one at Morepoix was tested a couple of years ago, but clearly something was missed.

One problem with the smaller bridges seems to be that their use is abused by overweight or too many vehicles which weakens them over time, leading to collapse. Particularly at this time of year when huge trucks full of harvested stuff are blocking the roads and using bridges which were not designed to take their frequent presence.

Those of us who use the coastal motorway to Calais will be aware that the two viaducts around the péage are reduced to one lane and that work is slowly going on the repair them. Apparently when first inspected just after Genoa they were in a desperate state and almost closed completely.

Hope this link comes out, copy and paste:
https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/11/18/un-pont-suspendu-seffondre-dans-la-riviere-au-nord-de-toulouse,8547999.php
It's very worrying.

The Tyne Bridge here needs maintenance work,  but it's not a suspension bridge. Increasing volumes of heavy traffic.

As is pointed out in that article there were lorries over the 19 ton weight limit often using the bridge and no one stopped them. It seems, from press reports, the lorry on the bridge was over 40 tons.

They need to do something to stop this misuse.

This bridge near to us has a 6 ton limit.

I have several times seen a large articulated vehicle belonging to a local builders' merchant squeezing across it with a good load. It probably weighs more than 6 tons unloaded, as it has a Hiab type crane mounted permanently on it.

One day I'll catch it when I'm in the car with the dashcam.

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/KzrHQM7f/Peyriac-bridge-crop.jpg[/img][/url]

On the other side of the bridge from this picture, there is a deepening hollow in the road, caused by heavy vehicles coming off the bridge onto the road again. If it gets much deeper cars will begin to bottom out as they go over it.

A new sign "Affaisement" has recently appeared just before the hollow.

That's that fixed, then[:-))]

"The one at Morepoix was tested a couple of years ago, but clearly something was missed."

Yes, what was missed is the the impossibility of any system to combat the inherent stupidity of people who live by the code that "that is the rule but it does not affect me" which at the moment seems to be an increasing percentage of the population in any country.

Drive a 45 tonne lorry over a bridge clearly marked 19 tonnes, what could possibly go wrong!

Suspension bridges have always looked very fragile to me - hanging on thin steel ropes. We used to live near the Humber bridge, one of the biggest suspension bridges in the world.

I refused to drive across it for years. Partly because I'm scared of heights now.
Tyne bridge is an arched bridge - not sure what that means but it hasn't got any ropes.
Nomoss - we had an  identical bridge near us in France . A few years ago it was closed for weeks for repairs to the walls etc, but still had a low weight limit and it was definitely too narrow for any big lorries etc.

The funeral of the lorry driver was this morning, huge crowds.

The comments from la Depeche readers are very interesting, especially this one:

"que le premier qui n'a jamais fauté jette la premiere pierre..

Genlou

Il y a 1 heure

@robix12 il y

a des limites ! Le chauffeur d'un attelage pesant plus de 50t ne peut

pas être excusé pour avoir franchi un pont suspendu limité à 19t ! Ce

serait trop facile."

What do you think?

The person I feel most sorry for is the mother of the 15 year old girl who died. Losing any child is horrendous .. losing a child in such circumstances is beyond hideous.

This mother has to live with this loss and, perhaps, the thought was any of this my fault ? Could I have done smthg differently ?