Egg allergy - or soya allergy

chessie

I'm someone who is a 'soft' vegetarian; won't eat meat but do eat fish, cheese and eggs.

I've recently had an allergic reaction to a UK salmon fish paste (yeah, I know, how very old-fashioned and down-market but loved my salmon spread sandwiches with slices of cucumber - what I grew up on and love).

I recently over-dosed on the salmon sandwiches - and had a nasty allergic reaction.   I looked at the label on the fish-paste jar - and it contains added Soya Protein Concentrate.   What the ---?

Seems I'm allergic to the soya - so can't have my lovely fish-paste sandwiches any more - sad.

But I've also developed a weird allergy to eggs.  I can eat them scrsmbld without any real problem, but soft-boiled eggs, or poached eggs - and I end up feeling extremely sick after a few hours.

Only developed over last few years, so not a childhood allergy.

I've done some checking.   It appears that most hens, free range or caged, are fed soya supplements.    Which then ends up in the eggs, and is concentrated in the yolks.   And soft yolks seems to trigger the allergic reaction.

I've always bought the free range eggs here in France, as I did in the UK.

I now need to find eggs that are specifically 'rich in Omega 3'.

As I've always looked for the free-range eggs I've never looked particularly for the Omega 3 type eggs.

Has anyone on here had similar allergic reaction to eggs or to food products that have hidden soya added to them ?

And anyone know if I can easily find the special 'Omega 3' eggs ?

Wasn't certain if this post should have been in 'food' section, or 'animal welfare' - so I thought I'd cover all bases and post on 'General' - after all that's where everyone looks, and you're all so knowledgeable and helpful about everything maybe this is the best section !!

Will be interested in responses -

Chessie

Bummer getting old, well for me it is.

Over the last few years I have developed allergies to a few things, however, nothing as complicated as yours.

I do understand you liking those fish spreads, some things are just what they are, and please us.

I think that I would make some if I were you. There must be lots of recipes out there, and I would use fresh or tinned salmon. And I would chose a recipe I could freeze in small quantities, so quick to defrost and so easy to spread.

And to make it feel a bit more authentic, reckon I would put in a few  toasted very fine breadcrumbs, not too many though, just to give that slight grittiness of the original.[:D]

I now have problems with milk, but only sometimes, depends, as you  are with eggs. Pineapple and rhubarb.

Have you had soya or any other type of foods containing soya, such as soya sauce or tofu?

I understand that it is a food that very rarely causes allergies.

As for eggs, they rarely cause allergies if they are well-cooked, that is, hard-boiled or in cakes, etc.  Scrambled eggs could be a bit runny and so can omelettes so not really "cooked to death"[:)]

Hope you do find out what it is that you are allergic to......bon courage!

Are we overdosing on the concept of allergies? If you inadvertently eat a peanut to which you are allergic and are seriously ill - that is allergy. Being unwell on an occasional egg isn't. I adore steak tartare (raw steak and raw egg plus). For some time I can't eat it as it upsets my system big time. I call that intolerance not allergy.

I developed an egg allergy when I discovered that 7 BILLION male chicks are ground up at birth each year to make pet food, fertiliser, etc as otherwise they have no commercial value. Some are gassed but most are thrown live into grinding machines. I see France of all countries is leading the way to put an end to the practice.

[quote user="Kong"]Are we overdosing on the concept of allergies? If you inadvertently eat a peanut to which you are allergic and are seriously ill - that is allergy. Being unwell on an occasional egg isn't. I adore steak tartare (raw steak and raw egg plus). For some time I can't eat it as it upsets my system big time. I call that intolerance not allergy.[/quote]

I have eaten steak tartare twice, and found it quite delicious. After the first time I was mildly ill for a couple of days, but after the second I was violently ill (to put it mildly) for several days.

I have a similar reaction after eating rare steak and lamb chops cooked in the French fashion, which I put down to a reaction to partly cooked meat, so try to avoid it even though I prefer the taste. Pork, even slightly undercooked, doesn't have an adverse effect.

Maybe the preference in France to eat undercooked meat is connected to the fairly regular "gastro" problems here?

I am interested to hear that others  have had a reaction to steak tartare since I developed the same thing quite recently. I am almost pleased to  hear it because I very much like (and trust) the two restaurants where I had it and this confirms my suspicions that it is the dish itself  that caused my reaction and not poor hygiene on their part.

I even dare to eat raw mussels in one of  them with no adverse effect.

In hospitals (and I believe schools but I am not sure)  only powdered eggs are allowed which makes for a VERY grim omelette [:(]

Talk about dried eggs reminds me of the time years ago, when OH kept on and on about the lovely powdered eggs they used to have during the war (second one, I hasten to add![:D])

I found some in, I think, Inter, so I bought it and cooked him some scrambled eggs.  It was seriously horrible and he's stopped going on about the "lovely powdered eggs we used to eat".

But, unlike you, id, I love omelettes and eggs generally, however cooked.  Mind you, at the end of weeks of Spanish tortillas and huevos fritos during the compostelle, I stopped eating eggs for a very long time.

Eggs feature in most cuisine, from the Far East to Europe to the Americas, because it is a relatively cheap source of protein and there are numerous ways of cooking it.

Interesting replies.   Yes Mint, Judith and Kong - think I shall try making my own salmon spread - good idea.

Zoff - yes, was aware of this;  have seen videos and reports - extremely disturbing and distressing, but sadly something we 'forget', rather not know about.   Dreadful to consider the cruelties inflicted on animals so that people can eat meat and dairy.   But is there any real substitute for eggs?   Anyway, I think the animal cruelty aspect would need to be started in another post.  But thanks for this gruesome reminder - and hope that it is soon changed.

Yes Kong - I bow to your knowledge - it would seem to be intolerance rather than allergy.  

The reference to Tofu made me stop and think - yes, I am 'allergic' to Tofu.   The one time I ate a reasonably large amount of Tofu (as meat sub in a pie) - I nearly collapsed, couldn't breathe, almost blacked-out - now that was an allergic reaction.   So can't eat Tofu.

But it's the use of soya in hen feed - which has caused my 'intolerance' reactions.  

Recommendations seem to be to try to obtain eggs that have specially high content of Omega 3, which I presume means the hens are fed a different balance of feed, and maybe not just soya based.

Those who like their steak tartare - maybe it's the raw eggs causing problems ?

Thanks for interesting replies -

As always you lovely helpful posters -

Chessie

It's not the eggs, I have three eggs boiled or scrambled every day. It's the rareness of the meat. Rare steak upsets me. So it's a delicate balance cooking steak to get it just right so I can enjoy a little bit of rareness without subsequently being upset!

Kong wrote : It's not the eggs

It is or it can be if you are allergic to them or to the whites as I am.

I wrote a long rebuttal of your post and the software on here dissolved it .. so, as it took me a while to write the post, I have lost the will to repost.

It's a shame as my story was not only true but really funny too.

But there you go .. tant pis ?

Kong wrote: When you have the time please repost, this is an interesting topic.

Hopefully I will feel more motivated tomorrow .. it was really gutting this evening when I realised, through no fault of my own, that all I had written had disappeared, without even the usually obligatory puff of smoke .. bah humbug.

Norman wrote : I tend to write in Libre Office then copy and paste here, but it does leave a weird line of text at the bottom of the post...

But you can/should be able to get rid of that Norman .. just click on edit afterwards and that might well give you the possibility of getting shut of the verbage.

But .. a big but .. it does depend on the operating system you are using ?

Oh Sue - I feel your pain.

That's happened to me before now - I - somehow - discovered that if I hit the little 'control' button on left-hand bottom side of keyboard that sometimes it will come back.

Don't know why it disappeared - but I've found sometimes that's a 'trick' that has worked - at least for me, but then I'm only using basic Windows 10 - I'm still in the dark ages where computer techie stuff is concerned.

Strangely though, I find if you've already typed it (and obviously talked about your weird/funny experience), once you start typing again most of it will come back to your brain and fingers.

But believe me - I really sympathise.

Chessie