Fed up of modern techno -PayPal probs

chessie

I had some sort of problem with my Windows Live Mail and Firefox - won't go into details but suddenly developed horrendous problems.
Wasn't sorted by taking PC back to previous 'restore' point.
So I downloaded a new e-mail software - eM.   Chose this because it would retain all previous e-mails receieved and sent on Windows Live Mail prior to installing new software.
Fine; download nor probs.
Then trying to use eM - found I could not download from Orange web-mail nor could I send.  

Aaaarrrgggh.
Took 3 days for me to realise that at same time I down-loaded eM somehow, or another, and I don't remember it - I had down-loaded a new browser.  Already use Avast as virus/security set-up.
Removed the Avast browser - yippeee - everything works. 

Except that for some sites, only some, I now have to log-in, rather than be automatically recognised.   Fine - coping with that (this site included).

Have also downloaded up-dated version of Firefox.   Should be all systems 'go'....
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Have tried to use my PayPal a/c to send £££s from my UK bank a/c to my daughter's UK PayPal a/c.
And I can't....
The PayPal system says 'no''/

I keep being informed that PayPal cannot confirm who I am .
Tray to log-in (has to be on french pages) - and again 'doesn't recognise my computer'.

Oh I am so, so fed up.

Nothing is going right at the moment.   everything I touch just seems to break-down, go wrong...won't work - can I rewind my life back 5 years and re-start everything ? !!!!!!!

Has anyone had problems in last few days with PayPal ?
Anyone got any clue what the problem could be ?

And why is that when you download a programme it doesn't take too long - but when you try to instal it - seems to take forever.  

Fed up, cold, wet, miserable, no friends, no social life, flakey PC, no money, finished all the wine, drank last of the brandy 2 weeks ago............and no cat to sit on lap either. Thanks to Phoenix do have enough books to see me through until Christmas - but have now run out of chocolate.
Oh and the logs are all wet so we've got the electric fire on.........!!

Cheer me up, peoples -
Chessie

I feel for you, Chessie. Not sure what to I can say to cheer you up cos I'm a bit in the dumps, but have a hug if it helps.

Can you somehow get in touch with PayPal customer services? I had an issue once, can't remember exactly what it was but I couldn't log in, but I managed to a way to request a callback. An American sounding person duly rang me and was extremely helpful.

Windows Live Mail won't work on W10 after "Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 2004" is installed. This is an optional download, and W10 continues to work perfectly well if it is not downloaded and installed. I accepted it for my PC, but have not done so for my laptop.

Microsoft have been trying to get rid of WLM for a while, and support ceased some time ago, but now it is actively prevented from working if the above "improved version" is installed.

I changed my email client to Mozilla Thunderbird after WLM stopped working on my PC, after unsuccessfully trying a few suggestions I found on line, but WLM still works on my laptop - and should keep working as long as I don't install the Feature Update.

I have no problems with PayPal. You can contact them in English on 1-402-952-8557.
I think you have to put "00" before that.

That phone number is given here [url]https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us[/url], all other contact methods seem to require logging onto your PP account.

EDIT: BTW, I NEVER set up automatic log-ins to anything to do with money - PayPal, banks, Ebay, etc. It's not that much hassle to remember/look up and manually enter a few special passwords, and frequent use of them helps me to remember them.

chessie wrote the following post at 07 Oct 2020 21:15:

I had some sort of problem with my Windows Live Mail and Firefox - won't go into details but suddenly developed horrendous problems.

Took 3 days for me to realise that at same time I down-loaded eM somehow, or another, and I don't remember it - I had down-loaded a new browser. Already use Avast as virus/security set-up.

Removed the Avast browser - yippeee - everything works.

You didn't download the Avast Browser .. it invited itself and installed itself without your knowledge.

It took me a little while to sort out why the mum of one of my friends couldn't access her bridge games online as usual .. bloomin' Avast had installed its browser and made it the default. It was awful as it hardly functioned at all and the poor lady was tearing her hair out in frustration.

All sorted by uninstalling the dreadful entity.

You had a lucky escape Chessie.

Sorry about your other problems .. wet wood is a pain too .. just of a different sort.

Chin up .. the sun will shine tomorrow and all will seem brighter ?

Suein56 makes a good point. Many "free" software downloads have a box you must tick to avoid downloading the sponsored software eg Avast, that pays for the "free" software. It is too easy to scroll down or through the small print in the haste to load your chosen software.

Some sites have more than one box to click so it pays to take a few seconds to scan before you commit.

CCleaner is an example that tries to download antivirus software.

We use Paypal very often, always log in manually to help remember the password too!

IMO Gmail is best for me.

[quote user="Lehaut"]Suein56 makes a good point. Many "free" software downloads have a box you must tick to avoid downloading the sponsored software eg Avast, that pays for the "free" software. It is too easy to scroll down or through the small print in the haste to load your chosen software.

Some sites have more than one box to click so it pays to take a few seconds to scan before you commit.

CCleaner is an example that tries to download antivirus software.

We use Paypal very often, always log in manually to help remember the password too!

IMO Gmail is best for me.[/quote]

+1

I have been more careful about those sneaky boxes which install unwanted software ever since Firefox made itself the default browser when I inadvertently ticked one.

I didn't like FF at that time, but couldn't find any way to get Internet Explorer back, and eventually had to reinstall Windows  to do so.

[quote user="Lehaut"]

CCleaner is an example that tries to download antivirus software. [/quote]

Beware! Piriform, who developed CCleaner are also owned by...........suprise, suprise, 'Avast' and will always attempt to hoof all their products via a back-door when you update CCleaner.

I always had it installed on all my machines from 2004 (when it was originally referred to as cr*p cleaner) until 2018 when Avast purchased Piriform and it very soon became obvious that it was becoming a battle of wits between you and Avast. CCleaner has also been hacked with malaware and who is to say it won't be again in the future?

Subsequently I reverted to Microsofts own 'disk cleanup' utility in Win 10.  This tool removes temporary files, previous Windows installations, log

files, old Windows updates, thumbnails, and various other cache files.

To access the tool go to Settings > System > Storage and click “Free Up Space Now” under

Storage Sense. Windows will automatically scan for files you can delete. It shows exactly how much space you’ll free up by removing each type of data. An excellent and unobtrusive non nagging utility.