Itchy Feet 2012

cooperlola

Got to start planning before it's too late.

As I came down the West coat route last year, I thought I'd come South through the middle of France this time and maybe head towards Provence.  I plan to book a gite in the Lot for the ultimate end of the trip and spend a week there with Mr C as I enjoyed it so much last time.

Any ideas/views guys and gals on some great places to visit on my way?  There's so much of France I don't know, it's hard to decide where to start so I'll leave you lot to plant a few seeds....

I had a wonderful week at a gîte just outside Figeac a couple of years ago, but there are plenty of Lot dwellers here who know better than  I do.

If you continue South from Figeac you can visit places like Najac, Cordes sur ciel   Albi, then across towards us in the Languedoc,  (click on the pics on this incredibly rich site) where you could go south towards Spain  or inland and over to Avignon and Provence

PS if you do come South it is better in late May/Early June, to avoid the crowds and the HEAT (15th July-15th August temperatures over 40 are not uncommon[:-))]

[quote user="NormanH"]I had a wonderful week at a gîte just outside Figeac a couple of years ago, but there are plenty of Lot dwellers here who know better than  I do.
If you continue South from Figeac you can visit places like Najac, Cordes sur ciel   Albi, then across towards us in the Languedoc,  (click on the pics on this incredibly rich site) where you could go south towards Spain  or inland and over to Avignon and Provence

PS if you do come South it is better in late May/Early June, to avoid the crowds and the HEAT (15th July-15th August temperatures over 40 are not uncommon[:-))]
[/quote]It will be March or April as last time, May an outside possibility. 

I did like Figeac but only stayed a day.  I'm certainly looking at a gite near there which has level access and is therefore OK for me.[:)]  Thanks for the links.  I'll be doing the exploring on the way to the Lot and ending up there where Mr C will hopefully come and join me.  Well, that's the plan at the mo.

I'm so pleased you're starting your planning! Nowhere to suggest at the moment, but it's good to hear you might be heading in our direction. Everyone will need time to come up with places to match that lovely restaurant Rose took us to last year. Can't imagine we'd find one as good for that amazing price though!

[quote user="AnOther"]If you haven't been there before then Saint-Cirq Lapopie and Rocamadour should be on your itinerary, neither are very wheelchair friendly though if you need that.

Maybe catch you this time around [;-)]

[/quote]

Nor very friendly if you are on 1 or 2 sticks or generally unsound on the pins.

But then most people are reasonably mobile and the French seem to cater for the majority.

John

Coops, if you can get down to Provence I would recommend Aix, Gordes, Bonnieux and Lourmarin, the latter three being in the Luberon. If you don't want to drive, you can now get the TGV Sud from Le Mans to Avignon, Aix and Marseilles, without having to change in Paris.

[quote user="Frecossais"]Will you be passing through Burgundy? Lots to see, eat and drink here, and I think a few folk you might know live here.[/quote]There's an Historics meeting at Dijon on the 7th and 8th April so I may well begin my tour there if it all fits in with the builders/school hols (to be avoided!) etc.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Frecossais"]Will you be passing through Burgundy? Lots to see, eat and drink here, and I think a few folk you might know live here.[/quote]There's an Historics meeting at Dijon on the 7th and 8th April so I may well begin my tour there if it all fits in with the builders/school hols (to be avoided!) etc.[/quote]

Oh no, we won't be in France until 18th April, after the schools here go back. Look forward to seeing your itinerary when you've firmed it up. 

[quote user="Sprogster"]Coops, if you can get down to Provence I would recommend Aix, Gordes, Bonnieux and Lourmarin, the latter three being in the Luberon. If you don't want to drive, you can now get the TGV Sud from Le Mans to Avignon, Aix and Marseilles, without having to change in Paris.[/quote]

I also thought about Aix, but with the narrow cobbled streets in the old town and virtually no pavements in places thought this might be rather wheelchair unfriendly - beautiful city though - with almost a village feel.

There's always Avignon - you could do a wheelchair twirl on or near 'the' bridge! Lots of level streets and underground car park with lift coming up right by the Palais des Papes, which is quite something too - although you'd have difficulty if you wanted to visit inside.

The Pont du Gard is a fantastic place to visit; level paving all the way from the car park, past shops, cafés, toilets etc - and such amazing views. Then there's lovely Uzès close by; again mostly level, with beautiful arcaded square and medieval buildings.

Arles is another beautiful place, but so many cobbled streets; I thought of Aix too - parts of it are well-paved, like all along the Cours Mirabeau. You could see the fantastic Roman arena at Nimes, but only from the outside, and the lovely Maison Carrèe; plenty of pavements in Nimes, and my favourite street cleaner, collecting dog mess in a 'hoover' while riding on his moto!  [:D]