Oradour-sur-glane?

Jonzjob

We are going to take a trip up there next month and want to stay over night. Is it the sort of place were we are likely to spend the day, or just a morning? We will be going on to spend a few days in Figeac from there and I am trying to find out if it would be better to stop a couple of nights in or near Oradour? I realise that it wouldn't be staying in the old village, nor would I want to!

Any ideas please folks [blink]

I haven't been there, but when you go, would you please tell me if it is busy and 'who' is visiting. Harder to know with the way that they do the french car registrations these days.

I ask as when we went up to NE France for the eclipse in 1999, we visited Verdun three times. It was mid summer and hardly a soul was there and those that were, were not french as far as we could see. Quite a few german reg cars, a few dutch and the odd english car. The french ones were local and then there was ours, not local.

I think with these places one stays as long as it feels necessary. I know I cried a lot, but did not shed a tear at the Ossuarie, I couldn't cry and felt I could hardly breath such was the horror and profound sadness I felt.

I will certainly try Idun. I think that we will be going up on the 10th and back down t Figeac on the 11th, but that is a movable feast at the moment?

I am not sure just how busy the A20 will be the Friday before the 14th??

I quite agree about not taking photographs at such places. My daughter and I visited Auschwitz a few years back, and decided we would not even take cameras with us. We were horrified at the way people scrambled to take photographs, pushing to the front of the displays in order to do so.

Much better to let the horrific facts about Oradour sink in soberly, and store the images in your mind.

Angela

If you seek somewhere to stay south of Figeac, I suggest Hotel l'Univers (**) on the S bank of the river in Villefranche de Rouerge, by the bridge on the D911.

The restaurant is exceptional, but very popular, and essential to book, even as a hotel guest, especially at weekends.

In the summer it might even be necessary to book the restaurant in advance. Best check on line.

I spent a couple of hours in Oradour in the rain. I had the place pretty much to myself. I did take photographs and I make no apology for doing so.

It was atmospheric and moving especially given the miserable weather on the day in question.  However, its impact was nothing compared to when I visited Dachau many years ago.  On the visit to Dachau my wife and I never spoke to each other the whole time we were there and also on the drive back into Munich. There was nothing you could say.

We will be looking to stay in Figeac. We used to go on holiday for several years to a camp site along the Celé Valley at a place called Brengue. A beautiful place and we were so enthralled with it that our beautiful chocolate labrador was called Celé

One of my representations of her with pyrography

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Celplatea.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Celplatea.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

We want to go back to the site, and a lot of other places, to see if they are still as we remember them?

This is a place I'd really like to visit. However, it's not possible as we have a dog and unusually for France, no dogs are allowed.  We'd be out too long to leave her at home and leaving her in the car for a fews hours is a NO NO.  So the visit is now on the back boiler until the Autumn.