Speedferries Cancel Sailings !

Hoddy

I arrrived at Boulogne yesterday to find that Speedferries have withdrawn their boat from service until September 14th. They explained that it had let them down so many times that they had decided to give the engine a major overhaul.

They had sent me an email, but it arrived after I had left.

They are offering a full refund.

Hoddy - feeling dismal - back in the UK for the winter.

We drove up to the tunnel and caught the next train. Very fast, clean, quiet, efficient and expensive it was too. We were back in England before we would have been if we'd caught the boat. I particularly liked the drive off arrangements - straight on to the M20 with no delays.

Hoddy

Speedferries contacted me today to say that "due to unforeseen circumstances" they are changing to a winter schedule.

Late afternoon and evening crossings are gone! Seems they're okay for 07.45; 11.15 and 14.45. Likewise, return crossings. If in doubt check their website or call them on 079 76 345 724.

Our bookings have had to be completely rearranged and the best we can hope for is to get to the notaire's office on time for our signing.

In an attempt to turn a disappointment into an opportunity, we might have enough time on our return to do some genealogical sleuthing in Calais. Does anyone live Pas de Calais who could advise on opening times of Mairie's and cemetaries?

Best wishes

Linda

Its great to see that Speedferries are operating successfully as a low cost ferry company. I suppose it was to be expected with currently only one boat that breakdowns were inevitable resulting in cancelled services. I suspect most people booking with them took this in to consideration but probable did not expect a 7 day no service situation. Its unfortunate that no arrangements could be made with the other operators, but they currently must be relieved with the temporary loss of their opposition.

However, the losers could very well now be the travellers who booked with them and are forced to rebook at very short notice with another company. Then have to pay as result these companies full fares without any reduction for early bookings.

I hope this will not force Speedferries to raise their prices to cover the next 6 months when many crossings may well have to be cancelled due to weather conditions. Losing 1 weeks fares in the high season and then coupled with the lower winter months revenue hopefully will not affect their future plans.

Baz

Like Hoddy, I turned up for a booked Speedferries crossing last week (Thurs afternoon, actually, so we obviously didn't cross paths!), to find the vessel out of service. The staff offered to refund £40 on my credit card as compensation for having to drive to Calais, plus a free return crossing to be used in the next 12 months.   I thought that was pretty fair, coming from such a low-cost operator.  Fortunately, I anticipate needing to make quite a few crossings in the next 6 months, so I shall have an opportunity to use the free crossing.

They gave me a list of phone numbers for the Calais operators, so I shopped around on the phone before leaving Boulogne:
Tunnel was the most expensive by far, at about 270 euros single;
P&O and SeaFrance were level, at about 175 euros single; but these both reduced after 9pm, so in the end I opted to cross with SeaFrance at 9pm: single for car+1, about 108 euros.
I was relieved it wasn't more, given that it was a last-minute booking.

Angela

http://www.the-vendee.co.uk

At last a  company that will put  service  first . Crossings with Hoverspeed  ( Newhaven- Dieppe )have been a disaster  this  year . The  engine  'fault' at the  begining  of the season  was  still there  5 months into the  season .  The  average time  late going  out  was  90 mins at  Dieppe and 60 at Newhaven  .  Hoverspeed are  quite happy to  run  late   and  charge  5 times  as  much  as Speedferries . but are are  they  willing to   take   their  single boat off the run  ?  The  answer is obviously NO . Lets put  profit  first .

Doug H