carrying paint on ferry

alnmike

Thanks for this - we had done it in the past, but I remembered some

tale locally that you couldn't take a tin of paint on a local bus. (It

turned out it had to be in 2 carrier bags) I wasn't sure if  the

ferries had it on a list of 'dangerous substances'!

[quote user="alnmike"]Thanks for this - we had done it in the past, but I remembered some tale locally that you couldn't take a tin of paint on a local bus. (It turned out it had to be in 2 carrier bags) I wasn't sure if  the ferries had it on a list of 'dangerous substances'!
[/quote]

Risk of "looking stupid" mode - Why is it safer to carry paint in carrier bags rather than a tin?

Cannot believe that paint is any more dangerous than a tank partly filled with petrol but who knows ? We usually place any tins under a small mountain of luggage and hope that any searcher cannot be bothered to do the job properly. Has worked so far.

John

not

The problem is that after the events of last week, how long will it be before ferry companies and the tunnel have to start imposing similar restrictions on carrying liquids.

Get your UK paint across as soon as possible.  Me?  I'm going to make  short term investments in Dulux, Berger etc.. 

>probably they will ask you to drink a bit of the paint

Will the same rules apply to wine and spirits ? In the interests of road safety (avoidance of drink driving) would it be a good idea to establish registered 'testers' at the ports who, for a fee, will drink some of your wine etc. ?

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="alnmike"]Thanks for this - we had done it in the past, but I remembered some tale locally that you couldn't take a tin of paint on a local bus. (It turned out it had to be in 2 carrier bags) I wasn't sure if  the ferries had it on a list of 'dangerous substances'!
[/quote]

Risk of "looking stupid" mode - Why is it safer to carry paint in carrier bags rather than a tin?

[/quote]

I think it had to be in a tin AND in two carrier bags!  However, I always carry my paint around loose in carrier bags.  Always seem to have plenty of empty seats around me on buses for some reason....[8-)]

[quote user="andyh4"]

Now that John sounds just like the job for the likes of you and me [/quote]

I agree. I probably couldn't manage it full time though the peak periods would suit me.

Would somebody fund a research project in evaluating the 'calibre' of drinks carried through various ports ?

[quote user="andyh4"]

The problem is that after the events of last

week, how long will it be before ferry companies and the tunnel have to

start imposing similar restrictions on carrying liquids.

[/quote]

Could be a tad impractical, surely? Petrol and diesel are liquids (and

fine explosives when mixed with certain fertilisers), but I can hardly

see people being expected to drain their fuel tinks prior to boarding...

Just because people might conspire to concoct explosions in

imaginative ways does not mean necessarily that they would succeed. At

one point the substaintial technical resources of the CIA were devoted

to a plot to kill off Castro with an exploding cigar. They could never

quite get this to work. Tricky little blighters, explosives.

When I enquired about taking a variety of petrol-engined tools (a lawn-mower, chainsaw, hedge-trimmer and strimmer) in the ferry, I was told there was no problem as long as the fuel tanks were drained and that I waited till I was in France to buy fuel to fill them up.

They did say, though, that they would prefer that they were kept out of sight. Not because there was anything wrong about taking them but to avoid delays while the security people felt obliged to check them all for absence of petrol.

And having experienced the not altogether desirable effect on a car boot floor/carpet of a leaking paint tin, I would definitely recommend putting in plastic bags - preferably not supermarket bags with anti-suffocation holes.  You'd think I would learn from my mistakes....

Paint is subject to the dangerous goods regulations, and obviously there are rules regarding it's carriage on the road in the UK by commercial operators,  perhaps for the sake of interest you might want to stick "dangerous goods" in your search engine and check out the UK HSE site for more info. 

As I understand it you exempt from the full HSE Regs provided you are carrying a limited quantity, which seems to be 5 litre cans in a box up to a max total weight of 30 kg or 1 litre cans on a shrink wrapped tray up to a total weight of 20 kg.  Not sure how that reads across to amateur haulage but it is probably wise guidance.

Please don't ever consider just sticking this stuff in aircraft hold baggage - that is illegal without proper packing and documentation and more importantly it is bleeding dangerous.

Without wishing in any way to play down the seriousness of Stefan's post, I wonder how the danger from a few cans of paint in a hold compares with that posed by gallons of cheap vodka and other spirits crammed into suitcases, car boots, trailers, etc. Genuine comment - I'm no chemist and haven't a clue.

[quote user="alnmike"]I've done a search of this forum, and also BF website, but don't

seem  to be able to get the information! Can you carry new, sealed

tins of paint in a car/van on the ferry? Thanks

[/quote]

I've only caught up with this thread. A simple question comes to mind: if you want to know what a ferry company allows you to carry, why not ask the ferry company? Or am I missing something here?

[quote user="irnbru"][quote user="alnmike"]I've done a search of this forum, and also BF website, but don't

[/quote]

I've only caught up with this thread. A simple question comes to mind: if you want to know what a ferry company allows you to carry, why not ask the ferry company? Or am I missing something here?[/quote]

What's the betting your browser is IE7?

[quote user="alnmike"]I've done a search of this forum, and also BF website, but don't

[/quote]

Not to be sidetracked by discussions of browsers, I come back to my

original curiosity.  Wouldn't it be quicker to ask the ferry

company if you can carry paint than to browse   forums for an

answer?  Maybe I am just being a boring old fart to suggest the

horse's mouth as a source of info.[:'(]

On browser - I like/use Firefox, partly my attempt not to let Mr Gates rule my life, mind you he's retired now or something !!

I did ask the BF, who said it was a bit of a grey area and suggested that I may not wish to ask any more questions (bit like keeping the lawnmowers minus petrol out of sight I guess). Where my attempt with google fell down was that I could not remember that tricky word 'hazardous' as 'paint' and 'ferry' bought up some quite interesting links that I read for so long I forgot what I was looking for. BF did mention 'hazardous' regulations would apply, but I just wanted some coalface views.

Thanks all!

And I'm particularly pleased to be able to feel that I've been party to the creation of a new job role . . .  that of 'drink taster' !! [:)]