carrying paint on ferry

alnmike

your car petrol tank is designed to carry petorl and is fairly safe ,however carrying solvent based  cans of paint is another matter as they can be easily tipped over or dropped causing a spillage which can cause drowsiness to humans /pets and a  fire hazard..

water based paint is safe to carry.

why do people risk their own lives as well as other passengers to save a little bit of money???and i know the quality of some solvent based paints in france is not as good as you may have bought in the u.k.

The reason for carrying a tin of paint in two carrier bags on public transport is the idea that the bags will contain any leaks from the tin. No messy spodges on the buses for people to slip on!

It is not, however enshrined in health & safety legislation but is a policy adopted by many transport companies including the one I work for.

I worked for many years on cross-channel ferries and there were never any fast rules about the carriage of small quantities of paint or similar materials other than the requirement that they be properly stowed in the vehicle.

A different matter for lorry loads of hazardous substances, which were still permitted on the ferry with the correct hazard warning labels, but were, where possible, placed at the ends of the ship rather than the middle. This being so that any problems could be more easily contained.

cheminot

For me, it is not any price difference that prompted my enquiry, but solely the difference in quality!! The observation about water based paint I found interesting, as it is emulsion that I wanted to take over - and only 10l at that. So I will be carrying it next week on the Barfleur . . . in a couple of hole-less carry bags!!! [:D]