Liverpool airport - hand luggage

newbiee

My husband travelled through Stansted today and the security staff were enforcing Ryanair's 10kg hand luggage policy.  They were weighing hand luggage and anything over 10kg was rejected.  He had to throw away a lot of stuff (magazines, food goodies, etc)

We'll soon be travelling to Liverpool (with Ryanair) ..... if you have travelled through Liverpool airport recently can you tell me if the same thing is happening there, or are they a bit more relaxed?!

So it you've travelled through Liverpool in the last few weeks, I'd be grateful to hear your comments. 

My wife and I travelled from Liverpool to Shannon last Thursday.We had 1 suitcase for the hold and 2 regulation-sized bags to take on board.

I'd weighed all 3 bags before setting off and knew that we would be on the limit with all 3.

We got to the check-in and the Ryanair girl informed us that the suitcase was 15.5kg and would we like to take something out. A pair of my wifes jeans (size 8) was then removed and stuffed into an already crammed flight bag.

The point is no one weighed the inflight bags and could have been over the 10kgs allowed.

Coming back at Shannon the suitcase was over 16kg but allowed through without comment.Again the in-flight bags were not weighed.

Hi,

My daughter flew over last wednesday from liverpool to limoge, neither her or her partners hand luggage was weighed, i am flying at the end of the month myself and could do without them weighing my hand luggage as i have so much stuff to bring back home! 

My husband has pointed out though they have once or in the past weighed his hand luggage, though i cannot remember this! ; )

J

I think it gets weighed when it goes through the scanner.  My husband's bag was rejected by the scanner. .... but then again, it was WAY over 10 kg!

He had to through away my magazines and chocolate!  So, if anybody has got a stack of ladies English magazines they dont want !! ........[Www]

In my experience they seem only to want to weigh bags that look as if they might be over weight hence I bring the lightest bag I have so that I can pack it to capacity if need be but it's relatively small & I never get asked.

Buy all your magazines (and new books)  and sweeties in W H Smith the other side of security.  Strangely you can add another entire bag full - I know I did last week! - and take it on the plane with your hand luggage.  Course - this is not about money it is about security, right?[6]

Actually the weight issue is nothing to do with security......security are just stepping in to try and clamp down on it a bit.

If you can recall the Kegworth disaster (B737 landing across motorway) many of those passengers were killed because the overloaded lockers broke away from their attachings and broke the necks of the passengers sitting below them.

Weight restriction impositions are normally from the regulatory authority such as CAA.  Some airlines I know have a 'reasonable' weight policy which I do find a bit strange - how can they get away with that [8-)]

I flew Liverpool Carcassone check in bag was 14.9kg just ok but hand luggage did not weighed but didn't way more than 10kg, what I'd like to know is when people check in on line with just hand luggage when is it checked to see if its over size or over weight, I watched one lady try to stow her hand luggage in an overhead locker and she could hardley pick it up so there do seem to loads of inconsistancies, The only time I've ben charged for excess luggage was with BMI Baby Manchester Bordeaux but it did weigh 23 kilo and the limit is 20 which I thought a bit pedantic as I only had a very small carry on.

How have people found getting through security at Liverpool, have you paid the £2.00 to get through? I'm really miffed by it and make sure that I'm there in loads of time so I can get through the cattle class lane. Role on Manchester Bordeaux re opening for spring[:)]

[quote user="RicandJo"]

Actually the weight issue is nothing to do with security......security are just stepping in to try and clamp down on it a bit.

If you can recall the Kegworth disaster (B737 landing across motorway) many of those passengers were killed because the overloaded lockers broke away from their attachings and broke the necks of the passengers sitting below them.

Weight restriction impositions are normally from the regulatory authority such as CAA.  Some airlines I know have a 'reasonable' weight policy which I do find a bit strange - how can they get away with that [8-)]

[/quote]

Do not know if easyJet have changed but they were stating that there was no weight limit on hand luggage, the only stipulation being that you could lift it in to the overhead locker.

For us, door to door UK to France is about 15 hours, by plane, 5.5 hours. However, it is certainly far less hassle driving.

Paul

I'm sure some Ryanair check in operators are on a power trip visioning themselves as pocket Hitlers when the penalise passengers for being 0.5kg overweight. Either that or they are on commission or bonus for every extra £ or € they raise. I wonder if the scales are legally certified accurate BTW, I doubt it ?

At the other end of the scale (ha ha) Easyjet impose no specific limit on handbaggage weight.

Quote: "Passengers can take one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 55x40x20cm; no weight restriction applies within reasonable limits — i.e. you must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance."

I travel on Air France/KLM every 2 or 3 weeks and there is no such nonsense with them. Also, if you check in online as I do, your bag isn't even seen until security and I've seen some monsters go through unchallenged, that's both in Toulouse and Aberdeen.

I don't think it's a safety issue. On many planes there is a label showing the maximum weight for the overhead bin and it is often something like 85kg for a bin only capable of holding 3 or 4 bags. Working on your premis RicandJo that they could be a hazard in a crash we would all be wearing hardhats and fireproof suits in case of a crash and a fire !

I reiterate my advice to wear a coat or jacket with multiple big pockets, I have yet to a passengers weighted or personally sesarched prior to the security scan [;-)]

Top tip: if you think you are near or over the limit find an unmanned or free check in station and weigh your bag BEFORE you get to the head of the queue [;-)]

[quote user="P3"]For us, door to door UK to France is about 15 hours, by plane, 5.5 hours. However, it is certainly far less hassle driving.[/quote]Same for us Paul which is why elsewhere I have stated that we will not be availing ourselves of Mr O'Leary's "services in the future.

As a bonus it also works out cheaper [:D]

The only restriction for EZY flights is that you must be able to lift the bag un-aided into the locker.  The responsibility is then on the cabin crew to ensure this is so.

If the girls (or boys....)  see that you cannot lift the bag into the locker they are supposed to insist it gets put in the hold.  I've seen some business men on BA flights get rather hot under the collar when the CSD quite rightly tells them their 20+ kg 'cabin' bag must go into the hold. [:D]

Ernie the common weight limit is 84 lbs not kgs.  38kgs.  The placards are their because the regulatory authority makes the manufacturers put them there before they can be granted a C of A.  They also make the operators ensure the placards are visible and maintained thus and there are penalties for non conformity.