Frequent travel...........

I've been looking at this year's offers with P&O Dover>Calais, Seafrance Dover>Calais, and Eurotunnel.

Each seems to have it's benefits, and each it's drawbacks.

Leaving price out of the equation for the time being, what are your thoughts on who to avoid and who is worth looking at, of the three listed?

I'd REALLY like to be able to afford Hull-Zeebrugge, but with cabins, the prices are still very high, and the one sailing a day puts me off.........if we have problems on the return, what happens?

TIA, FA

I'm a complete tunnel junkie!  No sea-sickness, 35 minute crossing, all formalities done before you leave so the moment you arrive, you're there - 10 minutes from the train stopping and you're on the motorway. Also, there's never a problem getting on the train I want, no matter what time of year it is.  Also, it avoids the apalling problem of the last bit of road between Folkestone and Dover, which is truly awful and there are often jams in Dover at peak times.  In getting on for 100 return crossings now since it opened, I've been held up about 4 times in all - not bad really.

We've used Eurotunnel Frequent traveller option for the past 3 years. As I work as a contractor, the cost of the trip never varies and we can usually go the maximum 5 times per year. The cost is £78 return, regardless of date.

I would be very reluctant to go back to the ferry option. Could never get used to the 'park your car, wait, park your car in the ferry, find a seat, wait to get off, wait to drive off' etc. The tunnel may sometimes be a pain at peak times, but at least you can listen to the radio and you don't have to put up with kids running around [:)]

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]We've used Eurotunnel Frequent traveller option for the past 3 years. As I work as a contractor, the cost of the trip never varies and we can usually go the maximum 5 times per year. The cost is £78 return, regardless of date.

I would be very reluctant to go back to the ferry option. Could never get used to the 'park your car, wait, park your car in the ferry, find a seat, wait to get off, wait to drive off' etc. The tunnel may sometimes be a pain at peak times, but at least you can listen to the radio and you don't have to put up with kids running around [:)]

[/quote]

There are surcharges of either £20 or £30 if you wish to travel outside of certain times during the day - from Calais it is between 14:00 and 23:59.

And Tandem Pilot it is not just some of the kids on the ferry. If you are not on early then you will not get in the restaurant and some of the coach parties in the bars can be very noisy.

The shorter crossing time of the tunnel means that the journey time is cut and if you want something to eat then stop somewhere in France.

The other advantage is that we do not have to leave the dog in the car on one of the cars decks as we would with the ferry - with all the noise, motion etc she would be a nervous wreck. With the tunnel it is smooth and we are with her.

Paul

Last year we had a P & O Season Ticket for Hull crossings to Zeebrugge which we thought was good value and for an extra £45 each way you could

upgrade to the large family room with mini bar tv etc.  This has now risen to £80 so not so good.  DFDS for this year £598 for us gulp, gulp. We have

decided on the Tunnel and have got return fares for Easter and Summer at £98.  The downside is we live just north of Newcastle, all that driving.

By the way each leg cost us £120 as we booked 5 single crossings which suited our needs you can also book 5 return journeys with them, ( last year who knows about

this year) and all have to be taken within a 12 month period.

Best of luck with finding the best deals.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]I've been looking at this year's offers with P&O Dover>Calais, Seafrance Dover>Calais, and Eurotunnel.

Each seems to have it's benefits, and each it's drawbacks.

Leaving price out of the equation for the time being, what are your thoughts on who to avoid and who is worth looking at, of the three listed?

I'd REALLY like to be able to afford Hull-Zeebrugge, but with cabins, the prices are still very high, and the one sailing a day puts me off.........if we have problems on the return, what happens?

TIA, FA

[/quote]

SeaFrance will be withdrawing two of their ships this summer the Renoir and the Manet as they are being replaced with a single more modern ship.  SeaFrance have just purchased a ferry built in 2002 and will be refurbishing the ship prior to its entry into service.  This will mean that the Cezanne, the other old ship that they operate will be converted to freight only, leaving the three new ships as the passenger fleet.

P&O are pretty much staying the same for the year and would be my personal preference.  They are going to be placing an order for some new ships to be delivered in a few years time.

With regards to the Zeebrugge route there are two options should the return sailing not take place.  Option 1 is be transferred down the coast to Calais and travel back via Dover with compensation or Option 2 is be transferred up to Rotterdam in the Netherlands and return to Hull.  The sailing from Rotterdam is always later than the Zeebrugge due to a higher speed on the ships, although not sure how long it takes to drive, but I believe the ship does get held if a number of people take this option.  One point to mention, the Hull routes don't tend to have many cancellations due to their working patterns.  As you mention there is only one sailing a day which means maintenance is done during the day and the ships are not being thrashed like the ones at Dover.  I believe last year there were more cancellations in Dover than at Hull.

You have just reminded me.  Our P & O Ferry out of Hull on 27th December was delayed for over 12 hours and during this time only the Emergency Lighting was availavle. Before the official mention of this electrical fault an earlier message was relayed that if in the case of an electrical breakdown not use the lifts.  I thought this strange at the time and the lifts were taped off.  I think they knew well before and were keeping quiet.      

I've now explored the routes fully, Seafrance are cheapest if you buy 7 or more returns, but only by £2 per return over P&O. Seafrance also have TWO levels of surcharges, but surcharge on more days. Phew. Returns are £52 Seafrance, £54 P&O, with surcharges of £20 and £30 PER SAILING, not per return[:'(]

P&O allow as many tickets as you like to be designated for friends and family, Seafrance allow up to TWO returns to be designated if you buy 5 or more returns.

The tunnel is £78 return as long as you travel off peak. Apparently you cannot designate ANY tickets for friends or family[:(]

Hull Zeebrugge is £210 return if you buy 5 or more crossings, no surcharges unless you need cabin space for more than two people. If you buy 5, you can designate one return for friends and family.

Alls I have to do now is get the wife to decide...............

• 7 months later...
Save your Tesco Clubcard points and convert your vouchers to Eurotunnel "deals" £1 voucher buys £4 "deal" so my £200 fare on Eurotunnel for OH and myself cost me £50 in Tesco vouchers[:D] Just have to make sure you book 14 days in advance.