Situation with Eurotunnel

PaulT

[quote user="P2"]

This seems to have dropped out of the news and the Eurotunnel website is not very forthcoming.

Any one know what the state of play currently is?

Paul

[/quote]

I suspect the reason is that the engineers are still accessing the damage and how it will be repaired. The recent fire appears to have been worse than the previous one and  that closed one tunnel for about six months. Let's hope the repairs this time will be completed faster.

Baz

I have a booking for a crossing next week. I received the following email:

Dear MR SMITH,

Due to an incident last week at Eurotunnel, we are operating a limited service

with a restricted timetable of one departure expected every two hours.

Unfortunately, your pre-booked departure time will need to be amended to an

alternative time in line with our Revised Shuttle Service Timetable (as below).

You will receive an email within the next few days advising you of your new

allocated departure time. Customers are advised to respect their new departure

times to avoid over-extended waiting times.

Revised Shuttle Service Timetable

06:00 to 20:00 (local time) from Folkestone to Calais

08:00 to 22:00 (local time) from Calais to Folkestone

Note: There will be no overnight service during this period.

To amend your booking to an alternative date, please call our Customer Contact

Centre on 08705 35 35 35.

To cancel your booked travel and request a refund, please send an email stating

your name, address and booking reference number to

mailto:[email protected]

Note: If you have already requested a refund or amended your existing booking,

please ignore this email.

Please check our website for further travel updates

http://www.eurotunnel.com/travelinfo

Whilst we endeavour to resume our normal service as soon as possible, please

accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

With our sincere apologies,

Jo Willacy

Commercial Director

Seems to say as much as they can at the moment.

I am travelling out on the 30th of this month and recieved the e-mail you quoted but when i tried to change my booking i was told no amendments allowed and that they would contact me by phone to tell me what train i would be put on.

Thanks for the replies.

We are booked to go out on the 17th October - booked as part of our 'frequent traveller' tickets.

The Eurotunnel website merely states that this week there will only be the services that Dick mentions - but obviously, they are going to continue with that.

Originally I thought that they were not using the tunnel at all thinking that they must be working to remove the fire damaged train but no, there is a two hourly service through the night for lorries.

They also state that coaches will be carried from next week.

When we went across in August we were towing a trailer and was asked if we had a gas canister in it. Seems they need to concentrate on what freight the lorries are carrying.

For a company that had to refinance the business as numbers are below those on which the project was based they do seem to be a little lax.

Paul

We are booked on an early morning train (07:00 am) on the 15th October and are awaiting instructions from Eurotunnel. I do keep checking the website but like you say not much information on there. Will just have to hope things improve before then though!

After the previous lorry fire the service improved once they were able to get the train out of the tunnel and could then use the "crossover" places to enable twin tunnel running for part of the crossing. It sounds as if they are currently still running with a single tunnel and maybe are cautious about predicting when the service will improve for fear of not meeting a promised resumption date.

(later)

Just checked for our booking on Oct 12th and they're now showing 2 or 3 trains per hour (depending on time of day) so obviously improving!

All well and good for Eurostar, but no such encouraging news for us poor car passengers!

Seems even the freight (guilty party) is getting priority, which really makes me mad.

After the last fire they didn't let freight through for six months - but I guess in these trying times big business takes precendence over the humble traveller.

Another sign that Eurotunnel may be able to improve on their current one train in each direction every 2 hours, is that they have informed me today that from 6th October day trips will be reinstated. For this to happen they will have to increase the number of trains daily.

Baz