Ryanair, now I know why airports have codes

Théière

[quote user="Jotty"] .... British is a nationality, United Kingdom is a country.
[/quote]

So what's England? Surely that's a country? [Www]

Cheap shots? I don't think so. I agree with Jotty, I'm not United Kingdomish! English for preference, British if you insist!  [:D]

Sid

• 4 weeks later...

On the last Census I remember someone getting into trouble for writing on the form

that he was English and not British  but this was rejected. 

I think you can sign Irish, Welsh or Scottish but not English.   I'll get my coat and go for a pound of spuds.

[quote user="sid"]

[quote user="Jotty"] .... British is a nationality, United Kingdom is a country.
[/quote]

So what's England? Surely that's a country? [Www]

Cheap shots? I don't think so. I agree with Jotty, I'm not United Kingdomish! English for preference, British if you insist!  [:D]

Sid

[/quote]

It can be debated but I believe it is generally accepted that England, Scotland, Wales and NI are all countries. The United Kingdom is a Nation-State.

Therefore your country of birth is England (you are English if you wish to be called that) but your nationality is certainly British. Check your passport if you don't think that's correct.

rgds

Hagar

[quote user="Jotty"]It is not a question of a country name, it is a question of an adjective which describes the nationality of  someone.
British is a nationality, United Kingdom is a country.
I do not think that ISO can change this essential grammatical fact.

[/quote]

"There is no code for nationalities within the ISO system of standards."  www.iso.org

That's why they have to use country codes - which in this case is the country (nation-state) that issues your passport.

Interestingly the ISO code for the United Kingdom is either GB or GBR - not UK which would seem more sensible.

rgds

Hagar

[quote user="Jotty"]On the Ryanair security information you are forced to write United Kingdom...for Nationality!
No way to put British...

So I don't think the people creating the site are very literate...

[/quote]

Thats funny, the Ryanair site and all other airlines ask for COUNTRY or Pays in French  not nationality when completing an on-line booking and you are not forced to write anything its a drop down box.  So Kmc was actually correct it what he/she said.

ErnieY, I heard it in a supermarket as the background music. I guess your'e not an indie pop fan then.

No I don't know what it is either.

The track has been used by several tv company's as a backing track to various programmes from GMTV to Gok Wans' program.

Just posted it as a bit of fun.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

[quote user="Jotty"]On the Ryanair security information you are forced to write United Kingdom...for Nationality!

No way to put British...

So I don't think the people creating the site are very literate...

[/quote]

Thats funny, the Ryanair site and all other airlines ask for COUNTRY or Pays in French  not nationality when completing an on-line booking and you are not forced to write anything its a drop down box.  So Kmc was actually correct it what he/she said.

[/quote]

This is not on the booking.

It is in the information you have to fill in for security purposes when you are going to use the on-line check in.

Nationality is asked for.

Jotty

It depends whose "security purposes" you mean.  Most airline's only start asking for specific passport and Nationality details if you are traveling to somewhere with an Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS) requirement - and the France and UK do not.  Easyjet and BA certainly do not ask for your nationality at any point on line....sounds more like Ryanair are just harvesting data..

This is the page I am talking about..

I had to fill it in to travel from France to the UK, although it says it is for going to Spain or the Canary Islands/Balearic Islands.

I received an email asking for this information, and when I got to a page or so later it damanded Nationality.

Perhaps this is not standard.

It doesn't change my point however that the adjective which describes my Nationality is "British" and the noun for the place in which I was born would be "England" or the "United Kingdom."