Travel Insurance

When we used to live in UKland we had an annual travel insurance policy which covered us for Europe.

Is there such a policy for travellers in France? Our big concern is that sometimes we have to catch a connecting flight - but now there is no such thing, we fly 2 seperate flights, so the airlines insurance is double to each way.

[quote user="sharkhunter"]Columbus direct say that for their annual travel ins you must begin and end your travels in the UK. Not a lot of good if you live in France or elsewhere which i believe the original poster intimated, unless i have read it wrong...............
[/quote]

No you may have input the details into their system wrong.  I live permanently in France, and I can assure you my insurance is correct.  On the page I linked to the first thing you have to do is use the drop down to say where your residency is.

Hi Maricopa, thanks for that, had another go using drop down menu and there was no mention of having UK base. The total was almost 300 euro for world wide for my wife and i, thats way more expensive than in UK, price we pay for being in France i guess.

Just to say that i have used NOMAD Insurance to travel to Africa this year and is on par with Columbus, Hugh.

Gosh - that seems a lot!  The Trailfinders premiums are quoted in £ sterling whatever European country you are resident in and their standard annual policy works out at £144 for a couple under 66.  But after that it doubles...(and after 70 it triples!).

We would love to return to Africa for another holiday and when we lived in UK we were insured with Saga who were excellent but who cannot cover us over here.  They gave full cover for all OH's existing illnesses i.e. diabetes, heart problems etc.  His illnesses are the stumbling block because most companies dont even want to quote a higher premium they just do not want to know.   Has anyone out there the same problem with travel insurance and are there any solutions - I dont really want to go on my own!

Apologies, Margaret, if you have already looked at all these references with no success but if not, they may be worth investigating.  The most interesting one appears to be the first as it says it covers UK and EU residents and has a special policy for those with pre-existing conditions.  (I have no personal knowledge of any of the companies.)

http://www.mrlinsurance.co.uk/travel-insurance.aspx

http://www.expatfinancial.com/travelinsurance.htm

http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/travel_insurance/faq/health/pre-existing_medical_condition_cover.html (the companys offer insurance for french residents)

http://www.the-insurance-surgery.co.uk/index.htm?ref=

There are also a few insurance companies offering travel policies listed on the AngloInfo site.

Good luck!

Val

Thank you Val, I have looked at the first one and unfortunately its a NO.  I will look at the others but dont hold out much hope, thank you so much for your information which I am sure will be useful for someone.  I guess it is risk it without insurance or just stay at home an vegitate!!!!!

Care needs to be taken with Annual Travel Insurance policies to read the small print very carefully, as to what reporting obligations are required if you develop a new illnes or chronic health condition, whilst under cover. Otherwise, you can find your policy invalidated when you come to claim, if you did not keep the insurance company updated as to changes in your health.

I know I can be irritable, but Nell and I have both explained that if you pay by Gold Master card you don't need separate Health insurance for travel, at least that is how I read the contract.

Nobody seems to have taken notice of that, even to the extent of proving me wrong (which I would be interested in as it would change the way I do things!)

Dare I say again - Credit Agricole Gold mastercard - no health questions asked, worldwide cover, no questions about are you going to bungee jump etc. etc [:D]

Cost 122 euro a year and that covers member and spouse/partner + any children under about 25 or so. also each time you use the card as a CB (pay shopping,garage,restaurant, whatever, 10 cents for every use comes off next years fee. This may build up to very little for some, but can add up quite nicely for others.

Also subtract 37 euro from the 122 euro, as that is what it costs for a normal CB card per annum

Quite so.

I think there is a British mindset which tries to find equivalents in France where it is not necessary.

For example if you have  a French car insurance you don't need a separate breakdown insurance (style AA)

and if you pay with the Gold card we have talked about you don't need a separate travel insurance.

As I also pointed out on another thread, with that card I pay on the 27th of the month, so all my medical bills which I pay with that card have usually been re-reimbursed before they are  taken out of  the account

Hi NormanH  It is interesting regarding the CA Gold Card but I think you should look more carefully into the cover offered for travel insurance.  It doesnt make sense that a company will insure someone with multiple serious illnesses for travel abroad. We are talking about heart problems and diabetes here not minor ailments.  I would seriously look into your agreement and I will have a look at the terms and conditions as well.

Fly high protection

With the Gold Cartwin, get anywhere in the world of assistance services and insurance

• cancellation or interruption of a journey,

• loss, theft, damage to your luggage

• damage / theft of a rental car,

• Relief on the ski slopes

That is all it says on the internet regarding travel cover, it doesnt mention anything about sickness or existing conditions or for any airline problem or disability caused by an accident.  I would look at it again Norman if I were you.  We had cover with our credit card in the UK but we still took out travel insurance.

I hope I am not breaking any rules here....

Below right is the ''''gold card cover'''' - and you can phone britline (or email) and they will answer any individual questions you may have (all in english)

Both OH and I have pre-existing medical conditions and this was a question I asked - They don't want to know !!

MasterCard

Gold MasterCard

Bank services

Withdrawals / payments

Standard limits

Superior limits

Emergency services

-

In the event of loss or theft of the card when abroad, emergency foreign currency, a replacement card in on average less than 72 hours.

The Bonus Gold

Bonus Gold

N/A

A bonus of 0.10 € for all withdrawals made at CA cash distributors and all payments made with the card (not including Moneo), deductible from your second annual card fee.

Annual card fee for first card holder*

33.50€

105.00€

Assistance services – Cover from the moment you become a card holder

Persons covered

Family members**, only when they travel with the card holder

Family members**, whether they are travelling with the card holder or not

Transfer and repatriation

Yes

Yes

Reimbursement of medical fees when abroad

Yes, up to 11000€

Yes, up to 155000€

Legal assistance abroad

Yes

Yes

- legal expenses

Up to 800€

Up to 3100€

- an advance of legal expenses

Up to 3100€

Up to 15500€

- an advance of bail

Up to 3100€

Up to 15500€

Recovery fees from ski slopes

Yes, up to 4600€

Yes, up to 10000€

Assurance services – Cover from the moment you pay using the card

Persons cover

Family members**, only when they travel with the card holder

Family members**, whether they are travelling with the card holder or not

Accidents while travelling (death or permanent disability)

Yes

Yes

- Whilst travelling on public transport

Up to 95000€

Up to 310000€

- Whilst aboard a hire vehicle

Up to 46000€

Up to 46000€

Cancellation or interruption of voyage

-

Yes, up to 5000€

Delayed flights or trains, delayed baggage

-

Yes, up to 250€ per event, 1600€ per annum

Loss, theft or deterioration of baggage checked in whist using public transport

-

Yes, up to 800€ per event, 1600€ per annum

Public liability when abroad

-

Yes

Snow & mountain (recovery from ski slopes + transport to hospital + reimbursement of costs)

-

Yes

Damage / theft of hire vehicles on the condition that they have been reserved and the rental fees paid

-

Yes

Other services

Dedicated hotline***

-

Yes

Travel agency

-

Yes

Show reservations

-

Yes

Car rental

-

Yes

Delivery of flowers / wines

-

Yes

* Tarifs correct on 01/05/2007. Please note that there is a 50% reduction for second and subsequent card holders.

** This includes cover for members of the family under 25 years who are considered to be under the fiscal charge of the cardholder; ascendants who are under the fiscal charge of the cardholder; the known partner of the cardholder or spouse.

*** Number printed on reverse of Gold MasterCard, accessible worldwide 7 days/7 & 24H/24