Easyjet condemned

Chancer

I just heard on the news that Easyjet were found guilty of travail dissimulé and must pay damages of 1.25 million Euros to A.N.P.E.

Editted. I should have written condemned but I had my French brain engaged (une condamnation) and I cannot edit the title.

We have many examples of well-known British businessmen and ladies indeed avoiding tax payments in the UK with well thought out schemes. Indeed it is alleged that Sir Richard Branson pays nothing in the UK.

Whatever.

France has always but always been protectionist and jealously protect their own. We see EDF all over the UK but I am not sure I have seen Thames Water here?

[quote user="AnOther"]

For those who have no idea what travail dissimulé means [;-)]

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6383E320100409

[/quote]

Yes sorry about that Ernie [:)]

Yet another phrase that I understand perfectly in French but dont really know how to express in English!

Its cant be simply described as tax evasion or working on the black, and one cant really say that Easyjet were concealing an economic activity.

[quote user="dragonrouge"]We have many examples of well-known British businessmen and ladies indeed avoiding tax payments in the UK with well thought out schemes. Indeed it is alleged that Sir Richard Branson pays nothing in the UK.

Whatever.

France has always but always been protectionist and jealously protect their own. We see EDF all over the UK
but I am not sure I have seen Thames Water here?[/quote]

What has this got to do with being protectionist?

Easyjet are a foreign company making inroads on the markets of a French company, Air France which latter have made numerous attempts to stop such as Ryanair and could well have been behind this latest little scam against EJ. France works as one giant corporation Norman, with the legal sector backing up the commercial sector for example.

[quote user="Richard51"]Air France have gone on record as being behind it.  They have been complaining about the competition from the cheap air lines for sometime. [/quote]In an true eglaitarian society the response to that would be to give the customer what they want, i.e. cheap fares to places they want to go !

Air France have no budget business model so complaining about EJ or RA could be likened to Rolls Royce accusing Daewoo of competing unfairly.

Anyway, aren't AF still receiving (illegal) subsidies from the French government, talk about hypocrisy !

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-sues-french-government-over-air-france-aid-2119416.html

and vice-versa

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article7058373.ece

It's like children squabbling over who got the biggest ice cream [blink]

[quote user="AnOther"]

[quote user="Richard51"]Air France have gone on record as being behind it.  They have been complaining about the competition from the cheap air lines for sometime. [/quote]In an true eglaitarian society the response to that would be to give the customer what they want, i.e. cheap fares to places they want to go !

Air France have no budget business model so complaining about EJ or RA could be likened to Rolls Royce accusing Daewoo of competing unfairly.

Anyway, aren't AF still receiving (illegal) subsidies from the French government, talk about hypocrisy !

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-sues-french-government-over-air-france-aid-2119416.html

and vice-versa

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article7058373.ece

It's like children squabbling over who got the biggest ice cream [blink]

[/quote]

Sorry Ernie but for me your analagy about Rolls Royce and Daewoo does not work. In those companies products there is a vast difference.

Now for me, that might work in the case of RA but when it comes to EJ what are the differences - admittedly I have not travelled by Air France but when BA flew Gatwick Toulouse I preffered them but only because you could choose your seat. I find EJ cabin crew to be relaxed and friendly. So perhaps Ford and Vauxhall - both products do the same thing but slightly differently.

Paul

[quote user="andyh4"]

I think the differences may be much more than you appreciate Paul.

Just at the visual level:

meals and drinks service

free newspapers

frequent flyer program

etc

but the real difference is what lies behind

regards

[/quote]Not to mention the nub of the matter - cost - and here speaks an AF/KLM Gold card carrying frequent flyer so I know what I'm talking about. You Paul on the other hand, by your own admission, have not flown with either.

I have also frequently flown on both EJ and RA I will readily concede that there is a marked difference between the relative experiences (I know which I prefer too) but they are close together on the question of fares so my RR/Daewoo analogy, whilst probably in extremis, is not without validity [;-)]

One thing which I have never understood is the AF/KLM/BA etc. etc. policy on return tickets and frankly, haven fallen foul of it on more than one occasion, I would label it legalised fraud. Firstly a one way will almost always cost more than a return but worse, if you fail to complete the outbound leg the return becomes null and void so I give full credit to all the low cost operators who operate only single fares for eschewing that sharp practice.