Maximum vehicle height

allanb

Does anyone know whether Brittany Ferries have any margin of tolerance for the height of a car with a roof box?

Their on-line booking form asks you to say whether the overall height is over 1.83m.  If so, you fall into a category "up to 2.6m" and it becomes a lot more expensive.

My car with a roof box measures 1.86m, plus-or-minus a centimetre.  Has anyone in similar circumstances been either surcharged, or refused boarding?

I doubt that they will notice or have the means to correctly check it to that accuracy, i.e. a spirit level.

If they pick you up on it just let your tyres down, if you already have a load on board you wont even need to deflate them totally.

It's surely a case of whether your vehicle will fit in certain parts of the boat, isn't it?  Just so long as you're confident that you're not going to whack the bulkhead of the ship and hold up the people behind you, go ahead, but it would bother me a bit!  It's years since I've travelled by ferry but on the shuttle you go underneath a solid metal bar set at the correct height for the low-roofed carrriages and if you hit this I reckon it would do a good deal of damage to your roof box.

It depends which ship, and which deck. The 1.83m figure is the smallest clearance likely to be encountered on any ship. If you are travelling on the Mont St Michel, I think you would probably get away with it, but if you are on the Normandie, or the Normandie Express, and you are loaded on an upper deck, you might well rip your box open on a beam or a piece of pipework when loading or unloading. I haven't noticed any specific problem areas on other ships, but do recall that there are possible tight clearances on the Bretagne where you have to make tight turns going up the ramp.

I think that when the check-in clerks notice a roofbox they are likely to check the height (there are usually lines painted on the kiosk walls) and send you to a 'high vehicle' lane. Whether you are surcharged or not will depend on how the check-in people are feeling and how full is the ship.

It is very unlikely that you will be refused boarding unless you upset the staff. [;-)]

[quote user="Will"]It depends which ship, and which deck. The 1.83m figure is the smallest clearance likely to be encountered on any ship.[/quote]

It's actually the Armorique: a new one, I think.

I'm going to call BF and see if I can get a concession from them for the three or four centimetres on that particular ship.  If not, I'll try to find a way of managing without the roof box.  The additional charge would be around £40 each way.

Thanks anyway!

• 5 months later...
No, sorry, I can't tell you anything useful.  I didn't speak to anyone at BF; having found no sign of flexibility in the booking forms, in the end we just reorganized the packing to make the roofbox unnecessary.

If that isn't an option for you, a call to BF might still be productive.  Good luck!

I was once refused passage on the now defunct Speedferries because my car and trailor was 15cms over the 7m limit for length.The guy in the kiosk was a right "jobsworth".He actually got out and measured it after spending 5 minutes searching for his tape measure.

Got a credit for a future sailing but they went bust before I could use it!

I have always found BF very flexible and have never been questioned about the overall height even when i have been a couple of cm over. Like with everything you pays your money and you take your chance.

Customer care still holds up on BF.

Good luck