Passport renewal

robkat

We are hoping to take the Oldies to France with us in spring (Dad 83 & Mum 84) to visit our pad. But Dad's passport runs out in September. Someone told me that one has to have 6 clear months before expiry in order to travel. Is this so? In view of his age he is reluctant to get a new 10 year one! Thanks for any info

My mother-in-law (now 86) renewed her passport a couple of years ago and it was free.  According to the Passport Office website: " If you were born on or before 2 September 1929 your passport is free of charge." This would apply to both your parents, so may be useful in the future.

I travelled to the UK on an expired UK passport having made an appointment to renew it at London, then the staff went on strike so that went out of the window, I didnt want to disrupt the holiday with my girlfriend so decided to wing on the way back to France, no problems at all once again it was not noticed despite her doing an impressive Beaker impression (one of the muppets).

It was only picked up by UK immigration on my next visit to the UK where they pointed it out to me in case I didnt know.

[quote user="Bob T"]My passport ran out over a year ago, but as I don't visit the UK no one has noticed.
[/quote]

Renewal of an expired passport is becoming more onerous so I wouldn't leave renewal for too long; the expired passport is still a document of identification.

The border control people told me that it is just one of many possible forms of identification and that expired or even without it I would have no trouble returning to England if I had other means of identification, he then quietly said, if you were a different colour, did not speak good English and clearly appeared to be a foreigner then things would not be so simple.

I have never forgotten getting life saving treatment for Falciparum Malaria in Cairns Base Hospital Australia, on my eventual discharge I asked for the bill hoping that my travel insurance would re-imburse me and they said "no worries, you are British so nothing to pay" yet they had never asked to see my passport, I suppose that they may possibly have searched for it while I was unconscious in order to inform my next of kin but it was well hidden and the South African Police never found it in my rucksack when they thought that  I had gone missing.

AFAIK, robkat, the 6-month unexpired condition only applies if you go to far-flung places, such as the Far East.  Otherwise, should be no problems.

I once lost a passport by chucking it out with the rubbish.  As someone has pointed out, it's now quite a to-do, getting a "new" passport so I wrote to say that I sent it off to the DVLA (true) and that I never got it back (untrue).

They believed my story (the DVLA being known for its exceptional performance) and said that they'd send me a new one if I sent them the regular fee.

Was I relieved..........!

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Thought you didn't need a passport for travel in the EU? Just photo id?[/quote]

I went out and returned through the tunnel on my driving license a few years ago but the car got fully searched each time as they got their own back on me for forgetting it.

Gov sites now specifically say driving license is not valid.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Thought you didn't need a passport for travel in the EU? Just photo id?[/quote]Only applied to the Schengen countries, I think, so the UK could give you problems?[/quote]

Identity cards are acccepted throughout the EU I believe.  I have certainly seen them used without question for entry and exit from the UK.

Simple photo ID (which would include things such as driving licences) should be acceptable within Schengen - even though in theory you don't need anything, try boaring an Airfrance or Alitalia flight with no ID.  Or come to that any of the Low Cost carriers within the Schengen area.

[quote user="andyh4"]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Thought you didn't need a passport for travel in the EU? Just photo id?[/quote]Only applied to the Schengen countries, I think, so the UK could give you problems?[/quote]

Identity cards are acccepted throughout the EU I believe.  I have certainly seen them used without question for entry and exit from the UK.

[/quote]

The Identity Card Bill received Royal Assent on 21 December. This means

that identity cards will no longer be valid from midnight on 21 January

2011. If you are currently travelling overseas using an identity card

and don't have access to a valid British passport, you will need to make

arrangements to obtain a passport to continue your travel.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="andyh4"]

[/quote]

The Identity Card Bill received Royal Assent on 21 December. This means that identity cards will no longer be valid from midnight on 21 January 2011. If you are currently travelling overseas using an identity card and don't have access to a valid British passport, you will need to make arrangements to obtain a passport to continue your travel.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/
[/quote]

But that applies to UK identity cards which are now being withdrawn.  Foreign ID cards - French, German or whatever are still valid for entry to the UK.