Brittany Ferries strikes on horizon

Val_2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Georgina"]

I was offered an interview with them (an excruciating four hour interview)  to work on the boats but when I found out that I would have to be on the boat the whole week I thought how on earth can they get anyone to do that? But they obviously do. Seems bizarre to take a week out of your life to work for them and have no life. And the staff are always very intelligent , well groomed and polite, not to mention bi lingual.  If it were a British operation we would have the Poles all doing that shift LOL
[/quote]

Its a very sought after shift pattern and very few if any companies can still afford to operate it.

You can get effectively a 3 week holiday by taking only one of the 5 weeks entitlement, taken to its limits you could work only 5 weeks in the first 20 weeks of the year by using all your holiday entitlement and then work only 16 of the remaining 32 weeks. Working only 21 weeks of the year its not hard to find staff!!

And then you add in the sickness leave which in most syndicalised companies is seen as a perk that should be used in full and you can see why companies working in an open competitive market can no longer afford such shift patterns.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Georgina"]

I was offered an interview with them (an excruciating four hour interview)  to work on the boats but when I found out that I would have to be on the boat the whole week I thought how on earth can they get anyone to do that? But they obviously do. Seems bizarre to take a week out of your life to work for them and have no life. And the staff are always very intelligent , well groomed and polite, not to mention bi lingual.  If it were a British operation we would have the Poles all doing that shift LOL

[/quote]

Its a very sought after shift pattern and very few if any companies can still afford to operate it.

You can get effectively a 3 week holiday by taking only one of the 5 weeks entitlement, taken to its limits you could work only 5 weeks in the first 20 weeks of the year by using all your holiday entitlement and then work only 16 of the remaining 32 weeks. Working only 21 weeks of the year its not hard to find staff!!

And then you add in the sickness leave which in most syndicalised companies is seen as a perk that should be used in full and you can see why companies working in an open competitive market can no longer afford such shift patterns.

[/quote]

They could do with somone like the Greek Cypriot owner of the Easygroup Stelios to come up with a ferry or two in competition. Perhaps they then would think twice about messing about the 85% of their customers who live on the UK side that they dont care about . Its the Cornish shell fish and crab fishermen I feef for  who export to France as they cant store their catch while these BF crew members play silly Bu***rs

[quote user="Frederick"]

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

They could do with somone like the Greek Cypriot owner of the Easygroup Stelios to come up with a ferry or two in competition. Perhaps they then would think twice about messing about the 85% of their customers who live on the UK side that they dont care about . Its the Cornish shell fish and crab fishermen I feef for  who export to France as they cant store their catch while these BF crew members play silly Bu***rs
[/quote]

Absolutely, if only there was an Easygroup ferry on the western routes!, but nobody stays in business to loose money; Truckers, who were complaining when returning on the jam packed LD Le Havre crossing, consensus was that Brittany are losing too much money and whilst being currently supported by the owners, have to get their act together in light of reducing custom.

yeah! we now have a booking, ferry from St Malo on Friday. Long drive from Bilbao but there you go, we were coming here anyway and have had an exciting time. Will have a stop-over at the Fr. homestead en-route. Will arrive in U.K. only two days late in our case so could have been worse.[:)]

What have the French union achieved by calling their industrial action that messed us all about  ? Nothing as far as I can see they now  have to work some more of their many days off  within their pay package ... It appears the city of Portsmouth lost about £400.000 in the first week of the strike alone due to the ferries being tied up in France . Thats a loss to the Council Tax Payers of the city add to that the losses the passengers and freight carriers suffered and its telephone numbers ..I think BF will have lost the goodwill of many of their customers over this they will have to work hard to get it back  Jacking up the fares will not help should they decide they now need to recover their strike losses  .   .

From what was said on the later local news, staff will work 11 days extra without additional pay and although there wont be redundancies some staff who leave will not be replaced.

There was mention of 50,000 people being affected.......we like to have a long weekend or two in France via BF, next year I think we might try and stay in the UK.....

"We had an eight hour drive to Calais (in good conditions) and were on a

P&O ferry within an hour. The crossing was free and we are due to

get a refund the Caen ferry trip.

The meal on the P&O boat was better than we would have got in the cluster of restaurants around the square in Ouistreham.

Gus"

Try le Normandie Hotel-Restaurant, Ouistreham, we have had good meals there on our way back before taking the overnight ferry from Caen.