Air traffic control strike

Oh great! Son and friend due to fly home, Bergerac-East Mids, on Wednesday. Strike Tuesday and Wednesday.

The next scheduled flight is Sunday. No idea whether they should trust in Ruinair or try to book something else, e.g. Easijet from Toulouse to Gatwick, train to Nottingham.

When I was stuck once, due to fog and plane not landing at Bergerac, there was no help or info at all from Ryanair.

Its nothing to do with any individual airline - they'll be told how many flights they can operate on those days and (for you) its complete pot luck as to whether your son's flight happens. There's absolutely no way of knowing until the day as to whether one, both or neither of the flights will operate.

You could switch and be out of the proverbial frying pan and  .............  You shouldn't blame the airlines (implied by your "trust in Ruinair"), because all of this is absolutely not in their interests.

Two options: (1) Go with the flow and just take the next available flight (but re-book immediately once you know that his Weds flt is cancelled) or (2) Take the train - but they're striking midweek too, so far from a perfect solution + costly at this late stage. It all depends how important it is for him to be back on Weds.

We were faced with exactly the same scenario with friends who were down here about the same time last year - they went with option 1.

Best of luck!  

Of course I don't blame Ryanair for the strike! I just remember being stranded at Bergerac on a Sunday morning as the plane didn't land due to fog. They gave us a phone number which didn't work and when we finally got to the desk and asked to be transferred to a Tuesday flight they said that was impossible - even though we could have booked in on the Internet at that moment. We were told we could fly on Friday, missing a whole week's work.

For the moment it looks hopeful as they have listed the flights cancelled tomorrow and none are from Bergerac so with luck, Wednesday flights will go ahead

I flew Airfrance from Lourdes to Paris this morning...7am flight. Lourdes are working OK, Pau and Toulouse are not. However, the flight was delayed for an hour, not because it wasn't there on the tarmac but because the ATC weren't at their post until 7:30...they had a lie in. It made crossing Paris for my train from Paris l'Est a bit squeaky. It could have been worse as the other ATC syndicate decided not to go with the strike.

Thursday 10th July  is the day the UK looks like getting some problems from strikes . There is a plan to try and bring many different union's members out in a combined mass walk out day of protest ... . Worth keeping an eye on the news reports  to see  who steps up alongside the  teachers and others likely to join this strike if this date could be important to you .

[quote user="Frederick"]Thursday 10th July  is the day the UK looks like getting some problems from strikes . There is a plan to try and bring many different union's members out in a combined mass walk out day of protest ... . Worth keeping an eye on the news reports  to see  who steps up alongside the  teachers and others likely to join this strike if this date could be important to you .

[/quote]

A combined mass walkout day of protest against what, for pity's sake?