Thursday's General Strike: Help!

YCCMB

So, as Sod's law would have it, I'm (a priori) flying to France on Thursday.

Just got a text from a friend to say they've heard from Brittany Ferries that they can't sail to wherever they were sailing to, but can still sail to Caen.

Rang Flybe. Who, although they tried to appear helpful, responded with information which was about as much use as the proverbial handbrake on a canoe. They don't know anything, so can't tell me (even theoretically ) what to expect.

Anyone know how solidaire everyone is feeling about Thursday?

Tried that earlier. I've read my way through umpteen websites and tractes and so on...but (silly me) I wondered if there's any indication as to how solid the support is likely to be. Everything I've read tells me the seven unions involved, etc, etc., but at the moment it's an "Appel a la grève" so I was wondering how many might choose (or not) to answer that Appel.

Probably lots, given that they've been done out of a holiday this coming weekend, as May 1 is a Sunday...?

Much more than that, Betty; the commy union (CGT, Sud) are trying to assert themselves as they have a falling membership, but are solid in the SNCF, and wanna ensure that they keep all the outrageous perks that they have, even expand them by going to a 32 hour week.

The EU wants the private rail sector work contracts and the state one harmonized which they don't like the sound of.

Plus, of course, there are strikes about the new employment law, which is really an assault on the national agreement mentality in France, in favour of local or factory agreements.

Thanks to the vagaries of the airlines' timetables, I can only fly on Thursday or Sunday, IIRC. so things look to be well and truly budgerigarred. Worse still, when I rang Flybe ( prompted by a text from a friend who is travelling by car on Thursday, and who has already received details of alternative arrangements from Brittany Ferries), they

A) knew nothing of any strike

B) have thus no plans or arrangements in place

C) couldn't even give me a hypothetical answer to my likely options

In fact, one of the first things I was asked was "could you divert to another airport?" As if I might not mind flying to Italy and hitch hiking my way back....

Thanks to the vagaries of the airlines' timetables, I can only fly on Thursday or Sunday, IIRC. so things look to be well and truly budgerigarred.

Well - slipping lateral-thinking hat on here - could you fly to a different, slightly more distant airport Wed or Fri, rent a car and drive the rest?

Angela

No, Loiseau, I don't need to be there for any reason, other than I've got two (very) seriously ill friends I'd like to visit, and other friends who are coincidentally going to be around at the same time. But if it doesn't happen, nothing lost other than time and probably some money.

I'm still trying to find some clues as to the likely impact and I see that French ATC are asking airlines to make a 20% reduction on flights to Orly, but no other airports or restrictions have been included or mentioned. As far as I can see, UK airports and airlines have said nothing so far. My natural pessimism means I'm assuming they won't say anything until Thursday arrives, and I'm hoping that an afternoon departure means I may find out my fate before buying a train ticket for the airport.