Laval to Ashford Kent

Doodle

Hi all,

I need to get to Ashford Kent 2nd week of December. I am not taking the car so will go from Laval via Train to Paris and then via the eurotunnel - I think? or is it the shuttle I need - I have not done this trip before neither have I been on a train in over 14 years and am slightly apprehensive about it so would be very grateful for any comments for where to go once I get to Paris infact any information whatsoever would be good. Thanks in advance.

Well, from Laval you arrive at Gare Montparnasse in Paris.

Now you need to get to Gare du Nord to catch the train to Ashford.

It is a direct metro (Line 4) from Montparnasse to Gare du Nord.....but you have a long walk underground from the Gare side to where you pick up Line 4. It is quite long. You also need to buy a ticket etc etc.

How old are you Mrs KG ?

My advice is to catch a taxi from Montparnasse to Gare du Nord. For the sake of 20 Euros ish...It will save you a lot of hassle. And you can see the sights !!

The problem with Ashford is that there's only a limited number of trains serving the station. Chancer is quite right that Lille has advantages, but see below.

Being a bit of a saddo, i couldn't resist looking at the options.

Paris - Ashford (just under 2 hrs)

11.13 (daily), 16.43 (Sun only) & 19.13 (daily)

Lille - Ashford (1 hr)

17.36 (not Suns) & 18.36 (Sun only)

Ashford - Paris

06.55 (Sats) & 14.55 (daily)

Ashford - Lille

07.25 (T,W & Th), 07.28 (Sat only) & 18.28 (Sun only)

Trains from Laval to Paris are very frequent (as I'm sure you're aware). From Laval to Lille, less so and you need to be careful to take one that's going to Lille Europe as opposed to Lille Flandres. The two stations aren't far apart, but you'd need to allow 20 mins from arrival to get to Lille Europe.

If it was me, I'd take the 12.52 ex Laval direct to Lille Europe (arr 16.16), which connects nicely with the 17.36 ex Lille.

For the return, Lille isn't so attractive unless you're happy with an early start, in which case Paris is better (but gets you home much later, since it would be the 14.55 ex Ashford, arr Paris 17.47.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Gardian for the timetable. I will be going on a weekday hopefully Monday or Tuesday intending to be on as early a morning train as is possible so looks like it's the 11:13 from Laval to Paris as I may if possible return the same day or the following day by car so not so worried about the return journey.

Just another option.

What about the daily direct Flybe flight from Rennes to Southend? You’ve mentioned Laval, but you’re not that far from Rennes and although you’ve said Ashford, you might be heading for elsewhere in Kent, in which case Southend mightn’t be so daft an idea.

Fares are cheap in early Dec - €70 or so round trip.

Thanks again for your info/research Gardian but I am only going to Ashford. Originally I was going with some friends in their car. They were going to visit family and drop me off. However he is now having an eye operation at the beginning of December so they wont be going but his wife has kindly offered to drive me to the station in Laval.

MRS KG

If you go via Paris....you need to arrive 1hr before your train at Gare du Nord.

To connect from Montparnasse to Gare du Nord I would allow for 1hr.

So 2hrs for the Paris connect.

From getting off the train at Montparnasse to reaching Line 4 allow a good 15-20 mins walk. Dead easy if you like walking.

The metro will take a further 20 mins.

Then you will have a further walk of about 10 mins at Gare du Nord to get to the terminal.

I am going to revise my estimation for a taxi from Montparnasse to Gare du Nord to 30-40 euros. It can be a quite awkward drive to be fair depending on the traffic.

[quote user="Gardian"]Just another option.

What about the daily direct Flybe flight from Rennes to Southend? You’ve mentioned Laval, but you’re not that far from Rennes and although you’ve said Ashford, you might be heading for elsewhere in Kent, in which case Southend mightn’t be so daft an idea.

Fares are cheap in early Dec - €70 or so round trip.[/quote]

Southend is a long way from Kent by public transport.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]

Southend is a long way from Kent by public transport.[/quote]

Do you seriously think that I didn't know that? It might just occur to you that sometimes, just sometimes, maybe quite often, people are met by friends / relations at the other end.

I may live in far away southern France, but I haven't lost my marbles, nor my feeling for geography in the UK.

If that's the best you can come up with by way of a contribution, you'd be better staying out of it.

Cretinous observation ............... but then that's your forte.

Hi ALBF,

Thanks for the info it has been copied down and it really is appreciated. I hadn't realised how long the walk would take which is not a problem but I might have started to think I'd taken a wrong turning and headed back from whence I came!

It's a fair old walk but you'd have to be very, very slow to drag it out to 20 minutes. You won't think you've gone wrong as you will be going with the flow. You can get your metro tickets in the station building. If you find the walk too much it is worth considering getting a taxi between the stations. We once had an elderly visitor who arrived by train and she was given assistance at Monparnasse, it was all arranged via their web site.

Not really B@B.

You have to walk down the train platform, cross the station to the escalators for the metro. You then go down 2-3 times.

Once you get down you will go on an airport type walking escalator to reach 'Montparnasse Bienvenue' where you pick up ligne 4. Basically you crossing the whole of Montparnasse underground. It is quite far.

Just remember you want direction 'Porte de Clignancourt'.

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to say that the information provided was so so useful. In the end I went from Bagnoles de l'orne as it's half the distance than to Laval. The bus picked me up at 6:10 am took me to Briouze where I got on the train to Gare Monparnasse and the only difficulty there which wasn't really is that they have hoadings up as they're doing some work and the signs for the eurostar disappeared so if you're not careful you can end up going to the upper floor instead of down. I just asked a very nice guard who just happened to be english and who pointed me in the right direction so all in all a very pleasant trip.

Thanks once again and a very Merry Christmas to you all.

Mrs KK