Lovely Lizards

Mark

Do lizards have any drawbacks?  Mice eat your food, loirs eat your cables, adders bite, slugs ooooh-don't-get-me-started-on-slugs, but lizzies just seem to lark about, fall off walls and do no harm to anything other than whatever it is they eat - presumably dirty old flies.

Are there any down sides at all to having them around?  I hope not, as Stumpy, Semi-stumpy, Arnie, Baby and their many friends are seemingly becoming part of the family.      

Not an answer, but just to say ours in 72 seem to really like grasshoppers.  Watching them the other day, they seem to wait for just that moment when the 'hopper lands and before it has presumably saved the energy to take off again.  Fascinating to watch during a hard earned break.

Ahh thats lovely to hear.   I have two pet lizards here in UK - a Bearded Dragon and a Water Dragon - they are such lovely characters which nobody seems to appreciate except me.

Your lizards will eat flies, grasshoppers, locusts, in fact lots of those nasties from your garden, plus a few leaves here and there if they don't have a ready access to a water supply.   They are lovely creatures, fascinating to watch and also quite amusing when then fall off logs or walls.    (Mine turn around as if to say "You didn't see that....".)

No be pleased to have your little visitors and enjoy their antics.  Surely they are a sign that you have very little pollution problems or chemical spraying because they are very susceptible to that sort of thing?

What sort of lizard are they?  Sand Lizards?  Little ones or big ones?   I have to know now!

Well these are just the "normal" small brownish ones, but we have seen a few of the larger shy green ones around.  Sad to say I accidently caught one in the horrible plastic shutters we still have on one of the doorways and it's tail just dropped off in front of me, wriggling for quite a while.  I realise of course this is one of their self defense mechanisms and so now have my own stumpy, though he hasn't been seen for a while.
As I said before, fascinating to watch and something I'd like to research a little more when I get time.  

[quote user="George"]

Well these are just the "normal" small brownish ones, but we have seen a few of the larger shy green ones around.  [/quote]

ditto.

We also had Slowy the Slow Worm (we are just soooooooo creative with these names) around in the spring but he hasn't been seen for a while.

We seem to have hundreds, mostly variations of the browny, greeny type up to 4 or 5 inches long though many have no tail. They rarely are seen to catch anything apart from an occasional worm or fly. From time to time we also see the bigger green jobs with blue flashes on the side of the face and body, looking a bit like a child's toy. These are up to 12 inches long, very attractive and would probably have a career with S Spielberg if they wished.

Later this year our external walls are to be repointed and Di is very concerned that the lizards will be entombed or homeless - so if any of you are feeling generous ...... ?

John

not

Thats funny we also have a lizard called stumpy,[:$] the last 2 times we hae been to the house he has been making an appearance on the kitchen units, we were worried about locking him in the house while we were gone but he was there when we came so i guess he lives off the flies ect in the house, and before we went I caught hubby leaving a saucer of water for him. I can spend hours sat out side watching them, I love the way they cock there heads to one side and stare back at you.     

[quote user="Pads"]...................... I can spend hours sat out side watching them, I love the way they cock there heads to one side and stare back at you.     [/quote]

For obvious reasons I haven't told many people this (until now), but last year I spent a long time in France while my OH worked in UK - I even found myself talking to them.  As you say they cock their heads to one side and often walk towards you.  Whistling also seems to work well. [Www]

If I swat a fly in the house, I am not allowed to leave the body on the floor. I place it on the fly swatter and drop it over the balcony. When the body lands, I quite often see a lizard run for it and enjoy his breakfast.

It is so amusing that I now find myself wandering around the house on a fly hunt. Should I see a shrink?

[quote user="Mark"]

Do lizards have any drawbacks?  Mice eat your food, loirs eat your cables, adders bite, slugs ooooh-don't-get-me-started-on-slugs, but lizzies just seem to lark about, fall off walls and do no harm to anything other than whatever it is they eat - presumably dirty old flies.

Are there any down sides at all to having them around?  I hope not, as Stumpy, Semi-stumpy, Arnie, Baby and their many friends are seemingly becoming part of the family.      

[/quote]

The only downside is if you have cats, who like to eat them. There is some type of enzyme in the lizard that makes the cat lose weight, making it look as though you don't feed them!. When the lizards go into hibernation the cats all go back to their normal weights.

(I have often thought it would be good to market them for slimming ..... roast lizard anyone? [+o(])

Having observed my cats chasing lizards, did you know that the lizard, if caught, detaches it's tail.  While the cat is busy thinking it's got it's prey, the tail keeps wiggling and the lizard makes it's escape. 

As for cat diet - maybe that is why my little tabs is such a lightweight at the moment.  I'll check her weight during the winter to see if she gains any.

Jan

I really can't think what you were trying to say there Leo [8-)][6]??!

Just to prove that I can get this back on track... A green lizard.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Greenlizard-1.jpg[/IMG]

The tiles are 8 X 16" and this perisher was the same length of a tile! When it realised that I wanted to steal it's sole with my camera it was away like a bullet. Complete with wheel, or should that be foot, spin start! I doubt if I could have kept up with it...