chasse naturelle

g8vkv

Hi,

We live at the end of a 'chemin rural', on the side of a hill - forest behind, vines/olives in front. It's not isolated with plenty of other houses around.

A notice appeared yesterday at the start of the chemin with a notice to walkers saying they are entering a 'réserve de chasse naturelle' and advising them to put their dogs on a leash.

Does anyone know what's a "chasse naturelle"  (as opposed to any other kind of chasse)?

I've never seen hunters in the vineyards - but we sometimes hear them in the forest and I hope we're not going to see an increase in this activity. The arrêt concerning the new rule is quite recent (August).

Many thanks for any comments.

I fear there is a bit of semantic confusion, g8. It is the "réserve", which is "naturelle", not the chasse. It gives a completely different meaning: read the sign as if it was "réserve naturelle de chasse".

Someone else, more versed in the world of hunting, will no doubt tell you more about what it means in practice.

[quote user="5-element"]

I fear there is a bit of semantic confusion, g8. It is the "réserve",

which is "naturelle", not the chasse. It gives a completely different

meaning: read the sign as if it was "réserve naturelle de chasse".

[/quote]

Ooops, never thought of that - stupidy, stupidy, stupidy!

[quote user="Cat"]

So it's a game reserve then, and dogs should be kept on lead to prevent

them worrying the wildlife, rather than to protect them from hunters?

[/quote]

I was wondering that - the only sizeable and edible wildlife I've seen in the vineyards is wood pigeons. We get (presumably) Sanglier at the back digging up roots.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]And there was I imagining loads of fat french blokes wandering round with their twelve bores in the nude save for a flourescent waistcoat.[/quote]

Don't they have to wear an orange fluo cap as well?[:D]

I think it's called "chasse au naturel"... [:P]

Coincidentally (and irrelevantly), we were recently on a bike ride in the forest - where we saw a few (fully-clothed) hunters - and we came across a "Camping Naturiste".

It was completely deserted - the occupants had packed away their bits and pieces, left nothing hanging about and gone off home with all their remaining accoutrements.