Green lizard - but not the one with a blue head

Sorry, there's no picture as the lizard in question has done a bunk!

But I've never seen anything like it before. It was curled up in the bottom of a hole, under a flowerpot so no accurate length, but its circumference was a least four times that of ordinary wall lizards and it looked sort of wide all the way down, and with a floppy skin and a wide mouth. The colour was extraordinary - lime green, almost fluoerescent , flashes all down the body and an orange stripe - looked just like a highlighter pen - down the spine. We are in the Haute Vienne  near Dordogne borders.

Looked on links from previous lizard postings, but nothing looks like it, and it definitely wasnt a green lizard with the blue head.

Can anyone identify it for us from these ramblings?

thanks, Kathy

Eager to see your photo Virginia, I took your link and posted as follows: "square bracket, img, close square bracket, link-with-no-spaces, square bracket, /img, close square bracket" (hope that make some kind of sense. Use a smiley to give you the square brackets. Replace the smiley text with img then /img) Sorry if that's double-dutch, took me ages to work out how to do it.

It 's a brilliant picture! of, I think, a marbled newt. 

[img]http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/virginiac_photos/ChariotteJune2009024.jpg[/img]

[quote user="virginia.c"]Lordy. When I click on edit, no little green earth or anything for that matter, is there. When I post a normal reply to a post I only get a very small box to reply in which appears on the left of the page. Could this be why it doesn't appear? And I was having such a good day!![/quote]

Firstly,(as I suspect you are using Internet Explorere 8) try this...

• In Internet Explorer menu, go to tools (outils in French)

• Scroll down to Compatibility Parameters (paramètres d'affichage de compatibilité)

• Add completefrance.com to the list

• Alternatively, click on the compatibility icon on the right-hand side of the address bar:

Secondly, there is something else wrong with the link you posted, try again, and then use the  button to attach it.

Oh well done you! My head hurts and i'm already worried about whether I'll be capable of dressing myself in the morning! But, when I'm calmer I will retrace my steps and try to work out where I went wrong. Actually, this pic doesn't show just how wide the head and body are. I did take another one which I'll have another go with tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help - much appreciated.

[quote user="Cat"]

[quote user="virginia.c"]Lordy. When I click on edit, no little green earth or anything for that matter, is there. When I post a normal reply to a post I only get a very small box to reply in which appears on the left of the page. Could this be why it doesn't appear? And I was having such a good day!![/quote]

Firstly,(as I suspect you are using Internet Explorere 8) try this...

• In Internet Explorer menu, go to tools (outils in French)

• Scroll down to Compatibility Parameters (paramètres d'affichage de compatibilité)

• Add completefrance.com to the list

• Alternatively, click on the compatibility icon on the right-hand side of the address bar:

Secondly, there is something else wrong with the link you posted, try again, and then use the  button to attach it.

[/quote]

That's bloody clever Cathy, how do you do those graphics?

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to ask what this was:

I guess it's the same as yours ie a marbled newt. Apparantly found in SW France / northern Spain and Portugal. I found mine after digging out a patio following the recent rain. It scuttled off into an old tree stump after letting me take it's picture.

great pic. Aren't they beautiful? haven't been lucky enough to see mine again but I live in hope. Interestingly I think your camera has muted the colours like mine did. The colouring was actually much more vibrant in real life - the green was iridescent and more of an emerald green. Was this the case with yours?

Havent seen mine again - but yes Virginia.c mine had colours like a flouerescent(?) highlighter! It's a real treat to see something new - cant believe how excited a suburban woman can get every time I see a different species here in Haute Vienne countryside.  It's a side of our new life that is quite unexpectedly fascinating.

Kathy

Yes the colour was more vivid than shown on the pic. My camera needed a flash as it was pretty dark and gloomy where the little beasty was hiding. He was lucky as I was just about to dig out a spadefull of soil when I caught what I first thought to be a caterpillar out of the corner of my eye. Mine was only about 10-15cm long but I understand they can grow much larger. Although we are only 500 miles south of England, seeing new animals and other wildlife is, as has been said, an unexpected bonus of living here.