Avisoft French Accent Toolbar

AnOther

Thank you, Erns.  You're helpful as ever.

Just one comment and I hope that someone "in the know" such as Clair will come and put me right.

I thought that the French don't put accents in Capital Letters (Upper Case)?

Can't remember where I got that from but I have it stuck there in my head for some reason.

It seems optional sweet 17. I've seen capitals printed without any accents but I've also seen them printed where the height of the capital and it's accent is the same height as capitals without an accent.

Ernie. What's this Microsoft Network Framework 3.5 that is also required with other than Vista windows?

[quote user="Benjamin"]What's this Microsoft Network Framework 3.5 that is also required with other than Vista windows?[/quote]It's very likely that you already have a version of the .NET Framework installed as it's required for quite a lot of applications - have a look in your 'Add or Remove Programes' list.. v3.5 is a bit like a service pack for it.

Google  .NET Framework 3.5  if you're really interested in what it is but beware, it is deeply geeky !

• 3 weeks later...
Concerning the question whether accents are written on capital letters in French: I've done some not-very-scientific research on direction signs and street names in the area where I live.  For what it's worth, my conclusion is: sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't. 

I thought it would be interesting to see whether the Académie Française makes any statement on the question.  Indeed it does:  

Quant à l'utilisation des accents sur les majuscules, il est malheureusement manifeste que l'usage est flottant.

I think that confirms the results of my research.

What is weird though is that if I write École as Ecole my spell check in Firefox indicates it as wrong and corrects it.

If I do the same thing in Thunderbird, using the same dictionary as a base, Thunderbird indicates it as wrong, but won't give me any thing other than école.

The version with the capital doesn't seem available in Thunderbird.

Perhaps Clair will know how to write a capital É on a French keyboard.

If I try I get a 2 !

I have posted that before, but just in case it helps...

I use the Windows character table/table de caractères, found in the Accessories/System tools (Accessoires/Outils système) menu (or by using the search facility).

A right-click on the program gives the option to "add to the quick-launch toolbar"/Ajouter à la barre de lancement rapide" and then it's just a click away.

Have a look at these for Mac keyboard shortcuts.

http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2008/08/accented-letters-and-other-symbols-on.html

I pinched this table from http://www.starr.net/is/type/kbh.html

Macintosh (Some Mac keyboards now have an alt key instead of the option key.
Note that I do not have a Mac computer so please help me stay updated.)

acuteá, é, íOption + e, the letter
    graveè,à,ùOption + `, the letter 
    tildeñ ÑOption + n, the letter 
    circumflexê ÊOption + i, the letter 
    umlautü ÜOption + u, the letter
    cedillaç ÇOption + c or C
     Â¿Option + ?
     ÃŸ Option + s
     Â¡ Option + 1
     Â£Option + 3
     Â§Option + 6
     ÂºOption + 0 (zero)
     oe ligatureOption + q
     â‚¬Shift+Option+2

Albert the IG: the character codes you mention must be specific to one national version of the Mac keyboard - they don't all work on mine, which has a non-British layout.

However, if all else fails: in most programs that run on a Mac you can always use the Character Palette, which pops up when you hit Option+Cmd+t.  It's a bit cumbersome, but it offers you a huge range of characters and other symbols, in a huge range of fonts.

Accents could not be used on capital letters in the past because of the limitations of typewriters and legibility on typeface, the rule still stands, sensibly in my opinion but is regularly flouted, it makes road signs much harder to read in less than perfect conditions when accents are used above reduced height capitals.

Oh and they dont appear on my AZERTY keyboard so to me they shouldnt be used even if they can be found by character codes.

Editted

I just replied to a posting by Âmes and discovered that I  can indeed put accents on capital vowels [:'(]

[quote user="JR-apostrophe-S gone native"]Oh and they dont appear on my AZERTY keyboard so to me they shouldnt be used even if they can be found by character codes.[/quote]If you will allow a personal question: since you don't use apostrophes in ordinary English, why do you insist on including one in your user name?   It always produces the message "non matching quote blocks in post" - at least, it does on my browser; I don't suppose I'm the only one.

Let's get your apostrophes sorted out and then we can talk about accents.

Only a suggestion.