Learning French

Phillip1969

Hi everyone,

I have never really gotten on learning French and only know the most basic stuff.

I'm interested in finding some sort of French course, in the UK, that is run intensively. I don't really want CDs or books, as I really need a teacher so that I can ask questions if I have them. It could be as short as a couple of days or could last as much as a week. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

I also don't have a huge amount of money to spend. Probably £200 tops. Any suggestions?

Intensive courses are going to cost you a bit more than that, I reckon.  The  council in my old home town in Kent ran courses and sometimes had intensive day courses also.  On that budget I'd certainly start with finding out about local  classes if I were you - they'll be the cheapest as you are a resident. 

When I am here in Edinburgh I have weekly conversations with a French student who is on the  Etranger year of her political science degree. This is the 2nd student I have met from the course the 1st recommended the current student.

We meet in a cafe and talk about a subject of my choosing for an hour. The fact it was in a cafe put me off to start with but its a real confidence booster after a while and whilst its more comfortable in a class/home it can be artificial. Also with meeting a female student its a safer environment for the initial meeting.

I buy the coffees and pay £10 for an hour.

Its vaguely symbiotic as they get to hear views different from their fellow students a point they have both made.

I think that it's a very good way to learn ( listen to the little music of the french language = no, you need not to read "Celine" = " la petite musique de Celine " the great writer ), but you inevitably must read french books ( try to find those which are bilingual ) and in the same time , work on grammar . Yes I know , It can take much time . It depends on your aim .

I have the same problem . It is very hard  to find a teacher ; I don't understand the reasons  and  I regret . 

You must be perceptive anyway.  

• 2 months later...
I am based in London and although i have had a property in France for a while i have never learnt the language properly, as has been mentioned i am more keen on face to face tutoring or an evening class rather than the liguaphone style.

Can anyone recommend a good class in London?

In September all the local colleges will have part time courses on for basic and advanced French, but will probably only be 1.5 hours a week for school Term time only.  I did this for 1 year before moving out, and realise how limited my french is and very 'Tourist' based.  I would suggest that you try and get 1 to 1 classes privaltely, as you will cover so much more and work at your pace, rather than others which will be in your class and may not be up to your speed, thus holding you back. 

Worked for me too Wooly (at least as far as vocabulary goes) plus I got to learn all kinds of words I could never have picked up in a French class [:$]

But for the grammar, I still took weekly French lessons for 4 years after arrival.

[quote user="tom.daniel"]I am based in London and although i have had a property in France for a while i have never learnt the language properly, as has been mentioned i am more keen on face to face tutoring or an evening class rather than the liguaphone style.

Can anyone recommend a good class in London?[/quote]

I'd recommend the Institut Francais at South Kensington.  They have lessons at many different levels, with a range of types of class (conversation, general French, cultural-based, etc etc).  They make you do a test before you start which is a bit daunting but it does mean that you end up in a class at the right level so you don't get held back or left behind.

I've studied there for a couple of years and always enjoyed it - and my French has improved alot too!

[quote user="tom.daniel"]I am based in London and although i have had a property in France for a while i have never learnt the language properly, as has been mentioned i am more keen on face to face tutoring or an evening class rather than the liguaphone style.

Can anyone recommend a good class in London?[/quote]

City Lit and all the colleges which do "evening" classes - many now in the day and at weekends, are also possibilities.  During my time in London I tried several - though never the Institut Francais, as I found IF too expensive.  But the IF will do one-to-one, or small groups, though these are not cheap.  Major problem I found was getting classes at the correct level (on a day or location which suited), and that they were often over-subscribed, but with the attendance falling off rapidly as the term progressed, (London being a very mobile population), so that progress was slow.  The many different nationalities also attending made the progression through the course difficult because of the differing levels of English of the participants (which was usually used as the teaching language when French was not).  I've also got a lot of half finished course books most at the wrong level!.

Last summer I spent 4 days a week for 7 weeks, with the U3A in Hampstead, taking all the French classes they did (from beginners to advanced) and that was possibly the most useful thing I did before I moved out here - I was surprised how much I got from the beginner's class (ie how much I had forgotten from my school lessons 40+ years ago!) as well as the more advanced classes.  Well worth looking at U3A if you have one in your area (and you do not need to be retired to join - just available when the courses are held).