Which French words are the most difficult to pronounce?

mint

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Maricopa"][quote user="Fi"]immatriculation

[/quote]

Beat you to it![kiss]

[quote user="Maricopa"]Immatriculation, so difficult to say, many people don't bother[6][/quote]

[/quote]

ooops.  But it is a tricky one.  And this is a very long thread.

Another deceptively tricky one is rarement - all those r's (be careful how pronounce that in English ...)[:D]

Fi

The thread so far (if you want to argue about the phonetics, don't argue with me, take it up with Le Robert & Collins). Incidentally, I never really used the API/IPA phonetics until the beginning of this year when I found that they were an important part of a distance course (AFPA) that I have been working through. Phonetics have helped my pronunciation no end and I strongly recommend the Phonetik software which, with the Alphonetic and AlphoneticGB fonts installed, makes switching back and forth between French and English phonetics a doddle.

Ru

Républik

'tretHFrFs

RéCpèRméabilizé

pnE

divèR

mujiR

tiJFl

ERo

siRk

strc:

lc:

rc:

buH

bUH

séRuRRi

bUJwaR

pUl

pul

le

dèRnJé

RévèRbèR

fFJ

akFJ

ékuRFJ

méRi

imatRikulasJI

pwal

- x2

[quote user="puzzled"]If or rather when my other half gets any ribbing about his mispronounced words, he always asks them to say "plymouth" - they just can't do it![:D][/quote]I got my physio to say "thirty three and a third",which he now repeats every time he sees me - he's doing very well with his ths.  He had no trouble asking for a pint of bitter in a London pub though.. (man after my own heart!)[:)]

Any word with two (or more) r's close together, especially if the vowel between them is "u".

I was going to suggest, for instance, chirurgie, librairie, rarement, trésorerie, and so on, but I see that someone already thought of serrurerie, which must be the example to beat all others.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably for me it's vraisemblablement (excuse the pun).  I have finally mastered libellule, my pronunciation used to cause my french husband much merriment.  He has a problem with the distinction between sheet and sh*t [:D]

• 3 weeks later...

Odile, tell me what persuasive techniques did you use?  Did you offer to cook him tarteflette everyday for a month, go and do all the shopping on your own, do the dance of the 7 veils for him every night before bed, or what?

I've been trying to persuade OH to wear a black beret, take up the accordion, eat raw garlic and so on and so forth in order to be more integrated.  Do you know what?  He's refused to do any of it..........

Could do with some lessons from you on how to persuade the husband to do what he has a natural aversion to, voila!

Hand on my heart - it was all his own idea! he is really taking his 'integration duties' very seriously. All the neighbours love him to bits for his enthusiasm à la quiet British style.

I thought you meant how did you persuade him to put you and Cendrillon up!!! I haven't told him about it yet - it will be a surprise. He thinks I am totally nuts for talking to strangers on a forum.  LOL

NB Edited post after reading JR's comments (above)

President (or strictly speaking Prime Minister) Putin of Russia - I had no idea that in French, it is pronounced Putine ( the 'tin' bit as in a can of baked beans).

Of course, I pronounced it Poo - ta and was told naughty, naughty.  For those who do not know bad words in French, the word pronounced like pu - ta is about as bad as they get ... apparantly ...

Most unfortunate for the man ...

Cathy.

If you pronounce it in the English way, as you explained it like a tin of baked beans you will have no problem, it is the French prononciation of the i that makes the gros mot which is spelt exactly the same

All the newsreaders pronounce it like a tin of baked beans, I have never ever heard him spoken of as Putine.

I think confusion with the gros mot may be just a British invention.  In French the name is usually written Poutine, which doesn't sound anything like the "P" word.  It sounds not much different from an Englishman saying "Putin" (as long as he pronounces the "i" and doesn't say "Put'n").  It doesn't seem to confuse the French. 

It's also consistent with the French spelling of other Russian names.  The people we call Pushkin, Borodin and Scriabin are called, in French,  Pouchkine, Borodine and Scriabine,  because otherwise they would be pronounced to rhyme with "vin".  No mystery.

I realised whilst out driving that I had posted incorrectly, the gros mot has an "a" in it.

So if Putin's name was shown as an English word to a French person then they would probably pronounce it in the same way as put**n, but knowing that it is someones name and a leader of a country to boot they would be reticent to pronounce it that way.