How does one translate 'bully'into French?

NormanH

I am usually reasonably satisfied

with my knowledge of French, but sometimes I just can't find the

exact word to translate a concept, and then I wonder if it is my

ignorance, or whether the the equivalent actually exists in French

One such example where I am racking my

brains is the word 'bully' both noun and verb.

I am thinking both of the school bully,

and the workplace bully

I know « chantage «  which

I think is nearer to blackmail

I know « Racket » which I

think is mainly financial and isn't used for what can be purely moral

pressure

I know « bizutage » which I

think is more like silly initiation rituals

I can't find a word to express the

cowardly domination of a weaker person (physically or because of

position in a hierarchy ), and crucially the element of giving way

when an even stronger person comes along.

Help please you bilingual francophones

(Clair 5e etc)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle with many translations of concepts including bullying, others include trespass, taking advantage of, i.e. ripping the ar5e out of something/someone and many others, what is strange is that I need the words because I come across these things so often in France but even when going around the houses and explaining in detail I find that the concept is just not understood, perhaps explaining why the word is not in the language in the first place, could it that the French or perhaps the Academie Nationale are in denial of some national traits [6]

For bullying I am forced to use harcelement morale ou physique but the only way I have of knowing whether I have used the correct words is the expression of understanding or otherwise on the other persons face/body language, in this case I dont think I have the right words if they exist.

That was my thought too Chancer, if the word doesn't exist , then the act doesn't either .

My children couldn't think of a one word translation for bullying or bully, but described sentences of behaviours that profs would take exception to.

Norman, I am very glad you brought this up: I have struggled with that very same issue myself, and have found it rather perplexing that there is not one word to translate bully into - there are only roundabout ways, all rather unsatisfactory. It's not as if the concept doesn't exist here!  Racket is what I had come up with too, except that it doesn't quite work, since racketter is taking someone's dinner money, or giving them a fine for alleged offenses. Not quite the same as persecuting. Un persécuteur is not exactly the same as a bully either?

It is no accident that the French word for "feeling" is now.... feeling. Plenty of gaps in the French language.

Gaps in the french language - I was surprised to find there's no real french equivalent of "right" and "wrong" as in the right answer and the wrong answer.

I think they say "bon" for right, and ?"pas bon" for wrong.

They say language reflects a nation's mentality - perhaps the french think there's no such thing as absolutely right and absolutely wrong.

It's true, when you think about it, there isn't really a word for bully.  "Brute", "brutaliser" might be the nearest?

That's why, when with someone who speaks both languages, it's so easy to slip into the use of words from both as they fit better.  Another one I can't find the equivalent of in English is "être de mauvaise foi".  It's just right, when "to be in bad faith" doesn't seem the same.

Patf, the nearest for me would be "juste",  "pas juste",  or "correct" and "incorrect", still not quite the same though!

The bullied person is called "tete de Turc". ....don't ask me the origin of that expression though.....In the context you would say that "Pierre (the bullied person) est la tete de Turc de Alain (the bully)"

The bully can be "tyrant" or "la brute"

[quote user="idun"]

Tete de turc, I always think of as a scapegoat. I know this as one headmaster told me that that was what my son was!

[/quote]

.....I just had to ring my 87 years old grandmother......That's the answer she gave me so it must be the right one [:D]

What is the proper description  of  bully in english?

to torment?

to intimidate?

Both are french words too. I've just looked this up and found 'brimer' which seems to cover it too, although I cannot remember hearing that.

When my kids were at school I'd hear problems being described as  'racket' and 'violence' more than anything else.

I've hit a brick wall with this now. Sometimes I find the french word works beautifully when I cannot find the right word in english, but that is probably my lack of vocabularly, peut-etre ou surement?[Www]

[quote user="idun"]

What is the proper description  of  bully in english?

to torment?

to intimidate?

Both are french words too. I've just looked this up and found 'brimer' which seems to cover it too, although I cannot remember hearing that.

When my kids were at school I'd hear problems being described as  'racket' and 'violence' more than anything else.

I've hit a brick wall with this now. Sometimes I find the french word works beautifully when I cannot find the right word in english, but that is probably my lack of vocabularly, peut-etre ou surement?[Www]

[/quote]

Idun, ‘bully’ is bit old fashioned these days, just think of the good old days of Bully Beef!

[quote user="Chancer"]

Old fashioned these days?

As in it doesnt happen these days or there is a better more recnt word in the English language for it?

If its the latter can you tell me what it is as my English vocab is failing by the day.

[/quote]

Oh it happens all right as we all too well know. ‘Bully’ these days is not a strong enough description, how about terrorizer?

[quote user="audio"]

[quote user="5-element"]It's close, but I would argue that tyranniser still does not translate bullying exactly.[/quote]

Nevertheless, it's closer than what you came up with your earlier post.

[/quote]

Mais oui Audio, tu prouves que tu es plus fort que moi.[:D]