Easy for you to say !

Pierre ZFP

So, this morning I brought into work a big bag of walnuts to share with my (mainly) French colleagues.  I explained that they were from a tree in my garden that is very productive this year.  The fun started when I mentioned that I love to see the red squirrels collecting the nuts.

The what?

Squirrels, you know, les écureuils

now 'écureuil' has always been a word that I had trouble pronouncing but this time my mouth just would not obey me.

After much laughing and trying, I sort of got there, I was asked 'and the name in English?' I was kind of pleased that they had just as much difficulty pronouncing 'squirrel' [:D]

Any words that trip you up like that?  another one for me is 'portefeuille' or indeed any word with 'feuille' in it

Pierre, I am so glad that I ain't the only one that has trouble with those 2 worms [:-))] But we have a wonderful, understanding neighbour that goes to a lot of trouble to help us with the pronunciation of words like those.

As a side issue? Why is there 2 'o's in pronounce and only 1 in pronunciation [8-)][8-)]

J-J      "As a side issue? Why is there 2 'o's in pronounce and only 1 in pronunciation"

Not the way I spelt it [;-)]

Clark K -  "the most difficult French word to pronounce is the one which means "locksmith's premises". "

I had to look that up but yes, you are right, especially if said premises are in Montreuil   [:-))]

Ah yes, CK, I need to have a good think about that before I start speaking, it won't come out naturally.

My worst faux pas are always with cul and cou. Down to my english accent, which I shall never shed. And for some reason I get them mixed up, bad isn't it when one doesn't know one's backside from one's neck. Cul is not a polite word[Www][blink]

I have an Ectaco Partner Lux translator and one of the things it does is to give the pronunciation said by a native French speaker and it's great for finding out the correct way to say things.

Finding out is easy, saying is another story and we were at the 30 year celebration of the village hall on Saturday. I was explaining to the French lady sat next to me that so much of my time is spent opening my mouth for the soul reason of changing feet [:$]

My Ectaco is a bit expensive, but it has been worth every $$$$$ and although it isn't used as much now has been worked almost to death! Oh, and it also doubles as a small tablet/photo album/radio/etc./etc. [8-|]

[quote user="suein56"]For me it's bouilloir and débrouiller especially when I have to say : je me débrouillerai.

[/quote]

Sue, if you mean a kettle, I think the word is bouilloire.  Even harder because, down here in the south-west, you have to kind of do that clearing-the-throat-ready-to-spit with that "r" sound[:D]

But I agree, about bouilloire.  I well remember a member of Brittany Ferries going over it with me several times before I got to an approximation.

I've told this story before, but a couple of years ago I was surprised and delighted to see a red squirrel in my garden, climbing up the netting of the pool fence. Later that day I was telling my friend, whose facial expression registered puzzlement rather than the expected interest. After a moment's silence, she said "Oh, a SQUIRREL! I thought you said a priest!". It wasn't so much a mispronunciation as a mishearing.

I struggle with poele. And this morning, I'm struggling with accents. I hate Chrome.

ETA Testing....éô... so NOW it works.I think.

Thankyou, you all, I do not have problems with most of these words and hadn't realised that others did.

NOW you have to remember it is me saying this to you..........IF you could ask my french friends, then they could well have quite different views about how I speak french![Www]

"I have a problem with réapprovisionnement."

Well you probably need to restock on that one Angela [:-))]

We lived in Villemoustoussou for 8 months when we first arrived and looked around for a house. I told SWMBO that I couldn't live there! Why was the reply. To which my reply was that I couldn't say it and if we went into Carcassonne ad got a taxi home after a shandy or 2 I wouldn't be able to tell him where to take us [Www]

I can even spell it now [:-))]

Why is the 's' in fils pronounced but not almost anywhere else? Local towns and villages  -  Trebes, no. Homps, yes. Herminies, yes. And why is there an 'h' in the French alphabet ?[8-)]

Jonz, how I can relate to your post.

Now I know you have lived in Wales before so you can imagine how I had to look for an address that had an English and not a Welsh name as I had to be able to give my address to people.

Gave up the chance to live in some lovely places as a result.

Whilst we were having our house built, I would call into the builders office and ask how to say the name of the village, must have gone in about 10 times before I 'got it'. Surely there is no shame in getting it wrong and eventually doing one's best and sometimes even getting it right!

Crickey I wouldn't have made any friends in France if they had not accepted me warts and all.......... or is that being anglaise et al?[Www]