How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

mint

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK it was a ruse to prevent Germans from finding out that the British had radar in WW2.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/do-carrots-really-help-you-see-in-the-dark/

So to see in the dark one has to do like rabbits and go to Specsavers and buy night-vision goggles.

51 is the short form for 1951 - so an IQ.

ras le bol.............. it was just an expression, a complaint and not rude as far as I am aware.

Another complaint was c'est la galere.

One I used to use, because everyone did and that is how I learnt my french, was je m'en fous or fiche......... which eventually my son said was quite impolite and I could say ca m'est egal which is polite.[:)]

I say je m'en fous with my friends but je m'en fiche with others.

I like your ça m'est égal and I will use that in future[:)]  Thank you, Id, it's one of those "small but useful" expressions, invaluable in negotiating everyday life!

Cool thing to say to end an argument, don't you think? 

Well the french do 'jure' a lot.

What about pu tain de mer de, who doesn't say that. And there is fi  ls de pu te......... which I find really awful...... these things seem to  just pop out when people are enerve.

I have to admit since I have got older I swear an awful lot more in english and sometimes I use awful language. Usually on my own and directed at other motorists, not screaming out, just saying them to myself.

You are right about the French swearing a lot but I think that the Brits also swear a lot!  Or at least they appear to swear more now than they ever did.  Or it's just that I notice it more these days.  I am a bit shocked to hear the very young and the very old swearing....don't quite know why?

Certainly the merde word is used by all and sundry, even professional people.  Sometimes, they stop themselves just in time or look a bit guilty if I am around (maybe they think that it's something they shouldn't do in front of a foreigner)....NOT that I say anything.  It's just a word and allows people to let off a bit of steam.  I don't use it, or the English equivalent.  Not that I feel terribly strongly about it, it just wouldn't sound right from my lips, I think!

There is also the theory that there is no such thing as "bad" language, only inappropriate language; that is to say that words should be used in suitable circumstances where they should be just the right choices and then they just sit right and would not jar.

There was a brilliant series on BBC2 (I think) probably about 10 years ago now, which was a collaborative venture with the OED where the public were also asked for help in establishing the etymology and origin of certain words and phrases. It was fascinating, and certainly memorable for, among other items, an episode where Germaine Greer looked into the origins and etymology of the "C" word (which, incidentally, personal research and discussion has taught me is only considered quite so taboo in English: most other languages use it as an expletive with none of the "you'll be struck down by a thunderbolt" reactions we Brits seem to associate with it). Of course, many will already realise that it's a word that was used fairly frequently by the likes of Chaucer, and has been part of the English language for centuries. There was something very amusing about watching a programme where Ms Greer had a go at seeing how many times she could shoehorn it into a piece to camera on the BBC, all in the name of scholarly research.

Mint, you make an excellent point about register, or the use of language appropriate to the circumstances and audience. It's one of the many things which are hard to get right when speaking a foreign language.

I think I may have written of this example before, but maybe not. In the arrivals queue for passport control at La Rochelle airport some while back, a lady a few people in front of me in the queue was clearly a resident, returning to France with a friend who wasn't. As the queue advanced, she was telling the friend (quite loudly enough for everyone to hear) that she was sure the friend would notice how much her French had improved, as she'd been having regular lessons and trying to speak a lot more. All very laudable.

When she eventually reached the front of the queue and the window behind which the douanier was waiting to check her passport, she greeted him with a cheery (and totally inappropriate) "Salut!"

Great discussion points, Betty and Pat.  I wish I'd seen that programme you talked about.  I, too, am very interested in etymology and sometimes, when there are more than one explanation of where a word originates, you have to judge for yourself which is the most credible explanation.

BTW, the forum software is really very weird and selective.  That French word I mentioned is nothing more vulgaire than m.e.r.d.e.  It's used so often that I don't think it has any shock value at all.

Mint, I am always amazed how much joie de vivre you have, puts me to shame. I try hard not to swear, as I know I don't really know when and how - though I do know ras de bol, j'en ai marre, etc, learnt in one of my French lessons before I arrived here, but never used!

You are quite right, register is important, I have a book, Using French: a guide to contemporary usage (Cambridge U Pres about 2000 ... which is all about  about register ... and which words to use.  I decided at that point not to worry about what level I spoke, but to go for the middle of the road stuff, which has served me well enough.  It all depends on age, sex, geographical origian, and indeed your "class" to abbreviate ... fascinating, but I'll stick with what I can cope with.

But bravo to you for trying all this.

I have to agree, ce m'est egal is most useful in all sorts of occasions!

Language........... when we had our kids we never ever ever swore. And I don't think I did until they were adults.

Also I never ever used words like 'doggy' or 'pussycat' or any 'babyish' words. I felt they had enough to learn with two languages and what is baby language about, it displeases me immensely.

And back to swearing, as I said, I do swear now, far too much and this old bat doesn't really care. I don't do it in front of others, but I do do it..... and if I lose my marbles, perhaps I will end up swearing when I shouldn't.....[6][Www]

Idun wrote:

Also I never ever used words like 'doggy' or 'pussycat' or any 'babyish' words. I felt they had enough to learn with two languages and what is baby language about, it displeases me immensely.

What annoys me irrationally is the propensity for adult women with small children to refer to themselves as "mummies".

Come to think of it, you guys must be struggling with that U sound ...... I wouldn't know where to start explaining BUT Loiseau's explanation is pretty good (for the sound that comes out) ...... would love to see those Brit faces with their lips thrown forward as if whistling the latest tune ....

I'm just trying as I type ....... I put my tongue just behind my bottom teeth (leaving a gap between the said enamels and the tongue ) ...... As a result, there is a small cavity created as the sides of my tongue are in contact with my cheeks. Then I pronounce quite successfully the dreaded vowel without having to throw those gorgeous lips of mine too much forward ...... It works pretty well.