General Politeness

Chrissie

I'm not sure the two are related are they ? It just happened to be a golf club, but from other posts it happens at other events too.

The original post was surely about differences in acceptable etiquette and manners in France and the UK, football hooliganism is a something separate. Its not acceptable in the UK either, thats why the police are there.

Obviously chattering at presentations, theatres etc is acceptable in France in a way it is not here.

Perhaps France isn't meant to meet the needs and expectations of every Englishman. The original posting was based on a perception of french manners from a foreigner, all I've simply done (IMHO) is to present an image of English manners as they maybe perceived by a foreigner living in our green and pleasant land.

The thing they have got in common is sport, the difference is that chattering through events is acceptable to the French, while seeming impolite to the British. However football hoolaganism is seen as being highly undesirable by both French and British and it is only a small minority that take part - .5% of a football crowd, has already been quoted here.

The original poster was surely just commenting on a difference and enquiring if it was standard practice, rather than what Brits would consider a one off lapse in manners.

This is getting like a maths problem

[quote]The thing they have got in common is sport, the difference is that chattering through events is acceptable to the French, while seeming impolite to the British. However football hoolaganism is seen as...[/quote]

Gay,

Sometimes, even Maths can seem quite easy, don't you find ?

By what I read in the papers I see I am not alone in wondering why Algebra was seen to be so damned important though  

Algebra is pretty good for instilling logical thought - now you aren't going to deny that one, are you Miki? I was told that logarithms were useful in calculating the stresses in bridges... (But then I was also taught how to use a slide rule - can't remember any of it now).

My main maths problem at the moment is to work out how Sunderland missed two more penalties!

CJD said "Perhaps France isn't meant to meet the needs and expectations of every Englishman. The original posting was based on a perception of french manners from a foreigner, all I've simply done (IMHO) is to present an image of English manners as they maybe perceived by a foreigner living in our green and pleasant land."

LOL JCB, your disguise is slipping!  You're just an old troll, aren't you, it's all a big wind-up?   Nobody could be this constantly self-righteous, and your obsession with England suggests a high degree of anal retention.

Nice one! 

Algebra is pretty good for instilling logical thought - now you aren't going to deny that one, are you Miki?

No indeed not Dick but I can think of many other enjoyable ways that I could have put logic in the equation, like how was one going to get Susan from C2 behind the sheds at break  

I know I use algebra a lot. And thank goodness they didn't make us learn modern languages at school rather than logs, algebra and trig etc etc.

Yup I was a matheuse, loved it, and I would have had very very bad results if it had been language based. I just about managed english, the grammer, well, it may as well be chinese, I have not got a clue as to how to dissect a language, I can just about manage to work out which the verbs, nouns and adjectives are. I would have been chucked in a SECPA and forgotten about, if I had had the misfortune to have an education here.

[quote]I know I use algebra a lot. And thank goodness they didn't make us learn modern languages at school rather than logs, algebra and trig etc etc. Yup I was a matheuse, loved it, and I would have had ve...[/quote]

You intrigue me TU, I know of no one who would use algebra and as I know not a soul who would or even could ! can you tell me what you use it for ?