Chanel or ????

Russethouse

Years ago I heard that Bourjois was part of Chanel. And have heard it over the years. I had no idea as to if it is true, or just a myth, urban legend type thing. I do like Bourjois cosmetics though. The only lipstick I would pay a fortune for doesn't seem to be on the market anymore, french friends used to use it too and that was Charles of the Ritz.

Gay, I'm sure this is true.  The colour ranges are very similar, I can clearly imagine Chanel products re-packaged as Bourjois and Lancome/l'Oreal.  It's just the former spends more on advertising and fancy packaging.

For years I was a cosmetics snob and would only buy either Lancome or Estee Lauder everything from cleanser to mascara.  Then I read an article in an American women's magazine comparing what they called "supermarket brands" with "classy labels" and more often than not the "supermarket brand" came out top.  So I slowly started changing my buying habits.  l'Oreal's skin care range is fabulous and terrific value.  As are their lipsticks and foundations.  Yes, having used both brands a lot, I can truly believe they are Lancome in disguise.  M

Chanel is another company with their own production facilities facilties. However L'Oreal make plenty of other things at various price levels.....

L'OREAL

Autres marques de ce fabricant :
Biotherm, Garnier, Giorgio Armani Parfums, Cacharel, CCB, Helena Rubinstein, Kérastase, Kiehl's since 1851, Lancôme Paris, La Roche-Posay, Matrix, Maybelline, Ombrelle, Ralph Laren Parfums, Redken 5th Avenue NYC, Shu Uemura, Softsheen-Carson, Vichy Solar Expertise, L’Oréal Paris, L’Oréal Professionnel, Elsève, L’Oréal Paris, Plénitude ..............

Margaret, They had a feature on the TV about skin care products the other day, one of the top rated ones was a Nivea product, I think it comes in a pot and was about £9.50,(it contained a little sunscreen and I think a little retinol too) none of the moisturisers was over £10 !

If we believe Joan Collins and Joanna Lumley, Nivea or Astral will do the job........

The only thing I am tempted to pay reasonable money for is a good foundation,(don't wear it every day) now I'm a bit older I don't want anything heavy......I'm going to look at the less expensive brands with a fresh eye

I've certainly used an excellent Nivea night cream at around that price, comes in a dark blue jar.  My latest discovery was found in Paris but assume it's available in UK, Garnier Nuit (purple jar), rich and creamy, tightens without drying, smells ever so feintly of coconut. Highly recommended.  M

Do these 'beauty products' have one of those numbers on the side?

I am letting you all down but I know that V33, Carrefour and Mr. Bricolage paint, varnish etc, are made by the same manufacturer as they all have the same number.

Sorry Ladies.  Must try harder.  (Did find make-up bag and threw it out.  Glitter is out now I gather!  My Rimmel mascara was all dried up and cracked too.  Spit!:laugh

Yep, it's all true and has been for years and years! I used to work for a company that supplied the dyestuffs used in lipsticks, eyeshadows etc., and one of my markets was France, where I visited all the major cosmetics houses. L'oreal has always owned the trademarks like Garnier and Lancome, and an astonishingly high percentage of other cosmetics houses are owned by Unilever.The most surprising thing I learned during this time was that then (and now it's probably still true) across the whole of Europe there were only about 3 or 4 companies manufacturing pencils, and these companies make both the ones you and your kids use to write and draw, but also the ones containing eyeliner, lipstick, etc. So, whether you buy a fancy Dior eyeliner or a Boots 17 or supermarket brand, chances are they were made in the same factory alongside one another! Similar story for nail varnishes, which have to be produced under farily controlled conditions for obvious reasons, but most major cosmetics houses have an extermely high proportion of their products made by soustraitants, and the same ones supply more or less everyone.

Jane