Easter customs

DZ

I will be spending my first Easter in France this year and I am wondering if there are any national Easter customs that are still being observed in the country (for example, Easter parades, special recipes served only on that occasion, egg painting or similar)?  Is it a time for visiting friends or a family-get together time?  In short, do people tend to celebrate Easter?

Anna

Easter egg treasure hunts for children, and a leg of lamb for Easter Sunday lunch.  Definitely a time for the family to get together for a meal.  That's about all I can think of.   Good Friday is not a holiday, but Easter Monday is.

Don't know where you are down here, but one of the biggest brocantes takes place at Barjac in the north of the Gard (right on the border with the Ardeche). It really is an enormous one, with dealers coming from as far as Paris for it.  Probably 300 - 400 stalls at least, Fri - Mon incl..

It also happens in mid-Aug, but this one seems better, because (presumably) the dealers have spent the winter stocking up and this is their 1st outing of the season. Of course, you may feel that this sort of thing is not for you, but there is usually everything from complete tat to some really worthwhile buys. Get there well before lunch.

Not sure if I have got this quite right, but apparently all the church bells are supposed to fly off to Rome for Lent, and return on Easter Sunday dropping chocolates wherever they go...

I guess that explains why you see a lot of chocolate bells, as well as the normal chickens, rabbits etc.

Angela

"Perhaps the agnostics/atheists amongst us should play our Mott the Hoople records  and start a revival of Glam Rock ?

John"

Mot-the-Hoople, why not some heavy rock, not that girly stuff, something like Black Sabbath or the like[6]. But do I hear the call of "Humbug".......

By the way where did I put me Cadburys cream egg?

Lat Easter we saw one of the gardens at the bottom of the village. It was a delight because we saw the dad putting dozens of chokky eggs in all parts of the garden. it's only small, but they seemed to be going everywhere!!!

I wonder if they found them all or if they will find some VERY susoect ones this year?

John (also, nust be a good name!!)

We have a village omlette made of wild asparagus which we all sit down and eat in the village square although it depends when Easter actually is and the weather. We then have a childrens parade where you can buy and sell them. OK not really it's just fancy dress with a few floats and some music then a dance for the adults in the evening.

[quote user="Quillan"] We then have a childrens parade where you can buy and sell them.

[/quote]

Q - please send precise address and directions to your village, sounds just right for me (allegedly). My friend Mr G would have been interested but has been detained overseas.

M. Jackson [<:o)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

"Perhaps the agnostics/atheists amongst us should play our Mott the Hoople records  and start a revival of Glam Rock ?

John"

Mot-the-Hoople, why not some heavy rock, not that girly stuff, something like Black Sabbath or the like[6]. But do I hear the call of "Humbug".......

John (also, nust be a good name!!)

[/quote]

Yes but I play BS EVERY Saturday and Sunday whereas MtH is just a once-a-year thing.

Name of the good

not

Their all French which normally means in comparison the English children they are far better behaved. The Girls seem to stay slimmer longer as well which makes them very good for cleaning chimney's and other confined spaces. They are cheap to run as well packet of fags and a sandwich a day appears to keep them healthy, slim and fit. Unfortunatly some French language skill is required as they don't seem to respond to "Oui You", they do however respond to "shut up" when spoken in French.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.  Sounds like I will have fun at Easter!  I am relieved to find out that the French do not celebrate Easter Monday by drenching each other with water, like in the country where I come from!

Anna

[quote user="Piprob"]

[quote user="Quillan"]We then have a childrens parade where you can buy and sell them.[/quote]

But selling them might be a tall order. Some children are so badly behaved you could not give them way! (Mr GG aside).

[/quote]

In Wales they used to eat them [;)] !!...

Sounds like Thialand, they have a water festival and if you can stay dry during that you are either quick or locked indoors!

I found that out when me and a mate arrived at Karat, a huge US airbase in N Thialand at about midnight when the festival started. We were in my mates Healey 100/4 on our way from Singapore, where I was stationed for a couple of years, to the start of the First Asia Highway Rally in Laos in 1969. We were spaired, because we had been driving for 16 hours, tired and very hungry. The USAF were very good to us, but by heck was it wet......

John.

[quote user="missyesbut"][quote user="Piprob"]

[quote user="Quillan"]We then have a childrens parade where you can buy and sell them.[/quote]

But selling them might be a tall order. Some children are so badly behaved you could not give them way! (Mr GG aside).

[/quote]

In Wales they used to eat them [;)] !!...

[/quote]

I di like children, but I couldn't eat a whole one[A].

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Sounds like Thialand, they have a water festival and if you can stay dry during that you are either quick or locked indoors!

I found that out when me and a mate arrived at Karat, a huge US airbase in N Thialand at about midnight when the festival started. We were in my mates Healey 100/4 on our way from Singapore, where I was stationed for a couple of years, to the start of the First Asia Highway Rally in Laos in 1969. We were spaired, because we had been driving for 16 hours, tired and very hungry. The USAF were very good to us, but by heck was it wet......

John.

[/quote]

Well, John, it sounds like you have had some exciting adventures in your life!

Thailand seems to be a better location for a water festival at Easter than Poland; it can be awfully cold to get wet at Easter in the Eastern European climate, especially if the holiday happens to be in March!  I think the whole tradition stems from the pagan fertility rituals (whoever has to change their clothes most often during the day will be the luckiest in their love life!).  There are lots of those pagan traditions still observed in Poland, which isn't dissimilar to France.  I have learnt from this forum, for example, that the French burn the effigy of Monsieur Carnival on the first day of spring.  In Poland, we drown the effigy of winter (by the name of Marzanna) - or at least it used to happen when I lived there.  I find national traditions quite fascinating - and long may they live!

Most of my time has been the usual grind, but I must admit that S/pore was different. We lived 'off camp' in the local town and got to know some of the people, but not like living here where we are part of the local life. In the forces you were in a seperate, insular group most of the time which in my book was a shame. I used to visit a part of Singapore City to get parts for my 1946 MG.TC sports car and got to know and love quite a number of the people who lived there before I found that it was 'out of bounds' because the Chinese Tongs operated fom there. I will always remember my little Chinese friend, William, who greeted us with a cold bottle of coke and a huge smile when we went to see him.

Another mate had a Triumph TR3, very early model. He wanted new brake shoes for it. William made some phone calls and appologised that he could not get any, but said he could get the shoes relined. he appologised again and said that they would take some time to do and then gave us the awfull news that they would not be ready for at least 4 hours!!!

Since living her we have found that the French stick to their traditions and although they are now '''''friends''''' with their neighbours the Germans they still celibrate ALL of the dates that their ''''''friends''''' were put out of their country or beaten in various wars? They also have a good go at celibrating my birthday, but being French are late and missed the 13th July by a day?![8-)]. Some you win,?

Back to your answer, it was lovely and warm in Tailand and Singapore,,,,,, all of the year.......

John.