dishwasher liquid

rufford

Sorry if I am on a rant again but it seems to me that some people seem to think that they are coming to a different planet not just a differnt country. There are loads of fosses in England, Scotland and Wales as well as France. The manufacturers know this and unless the product is something like a bleach based cleaner there should be no problems. If you are still uneasy check the details on the pack.  If you are unhappy with your comprehsion of the instructions learn the words and fast.

Saddie, people do get very nervous about these things.

The vast majority of people in UK don't have a fosse, and don't grow up being aware of the problems.  It's all a big new scary experience, and you have to pay if you get it badly wrong (and suffer the smell).

If you have to learn one word, its 'Javel', (Bleach).  If the prduct has Javel, avoid it, and if it doesn't, it is probably OK. 

So, you need to know 'avec' and 'sans' Javel.

If you need glasses, take them to the supermarket, (along with your dictionary)

It's funny though, Tresco.

I grew up in a house in the UK with a septic tank, and can't remember my mother ever paying it any special attention. Ditto my sister and brother both live in houses with septic tanks and don't worry about anything that goes down them. In fact I don't think they are even sure where their tanks *are*; they inherited them with their houses.

So are French "fosses septiques" more sensitive than British ones?

Angela

I dunno Loiseau [:)]

All I do know is that people who have never come into contact with one is scared, or nervous, and it's not a nice way to feel. Everything is easy if you 'know' or even think you do, isn't it?

I met a woman in England whose daughter lived in Wales on a farm. On her first visit tthe mum chucked a load of bleach down the loo, daughter went bonkers!

I have bleach, and I use it with discretion. No harm done.

I don't leave it around for visitors to sling around with the kind of reckless abandon I had when on mains sewerage.[:$]

[quote user="Loiseau"]

It's funny though, Tresco.

I grew up in a house in the UK with a septic tank, and can't remember my mother ever paying it any special attention. Ditto my sister and brother both live in houses with septic tanks and don't worry about anything that goes down them. In fact I don't think they are even sure where their tanks *are*; they inherited them with their houses.

So are French "fosses septiques" more sensitive than British ones?

Angela

[/quote]

Maybe it's the French diet that makes a difference.  We had our fosse drained 2 summers ago and it's not something i'd like to experience in the near future[+o(].

My daughter thought it was fascinating and even pulled up her mini deck-chair to watch the proceedings!

Ok Twinkle spill the beans, where d'ya get your Fairy Liquid from. I don't know what has happened to washing up liquids these days, but most of them make me feel sick when I smell them. I don't need rancid grapefruit smell, or manky citrus and even that old french one ........MIR, beurk [+o(] Fairy Liquid just smells neutral enough and does the job.

".....I wish I had a dishwasher to be able to worry 'bout whether to use liquid or powder. 

I've got a pair of rubber gloves and a bottle of  Fairy liquid."

(Don't get excited Miki)[6]

Phew, only just come round after reading all that Twinkle, oh my gawd, what day is it ? [geek]

[quote user="Teamedup"]Ok Twinkle spill the beans, where d'ya get your Fairy Liquid from. I don't know what has happened to washing up liquids these days, but most of them make me feel sick when I smell them. I don't need rancid grapefruit smell, or manky citrus and even that old french one ........MIR, beurk [+o(] [/quote]

LOL TU, I used to go along the shelf of a thousand different flavours, scoffing. Mango and Chutney, Kiwi and Soot....

One day they'll 'bring back' Fairy Original and charge us a ridiculous price for it.

The thing about French fosses, Brits and bleach can I think be easily explained.

For a fosse to work properly it has to be regularly "fed" with fresh nutrients (Cr*p and P to you and me).  This keeps the bug level high and the bugs active.

Many British houses with fosses are holiday homes and are not regularly fed. 

The bacteria starve and many die off.

The Brits then come back for a few weeks hols, pour bleach down the sink and kill off the few remaining bacteria.

Word gets around that bleach and fosses can in  no way co-exist.

A well fed fosse will be able to cope with bleaches provided they are not used to excess.  A holiday home fosse will struggle to run (at all*) and will probably die the first time bleach or strong cleaning agents are added.

* which is why the Brits who don't use bleach still have to have their fosse emptied at regular intervals whereas the locals almost never have to empty thiers.