Acceptable gifts

alnmike

Advice please - we get loads of support and assitance from the elderly couple whom we bought our cottage from. I would like to take them some gifts as a thank-you. I had thought of something 'English' but have no real idea. Any thoughts? Thanks [8-)]

Anything 'Duchy Originals' oatcakes seem popular.......Green & Blacks chocolate, chocolate orange, home made anything.........oh, my friend likes those oven gloves that are two hands attached by a middle bit, apparently they don't get those either......but that may be a regional thing.

.......... but perhaps more sensibly, a nice bottle of Champagne.

They may or may not drink it themselves (though even when I eventually become 'elderly', I hope that I'll still be able to shift my half of a bottle), but there'll always be that family get-together when they can wheel it out.

It's one of the few things I can think of that seems never to fail to please.

Ah - thanks for tip, I don't want them thinking they owe me!!

Great stuff - I'd thought of sherry, but Ginger wine is a much better idea. And the oven gloves and Duchy things - being Cornish I feel an obscure affinity!!

Thank you all.[:D]

We always give our neighbours English Mature Cheddar and a jar of Branston Pickle - bizarre I know, but they eagerly await our return from the UK every couple of weeks (where we go to work) - no good though if you can't get back to the UK too often.   There is also the whiskey that you can't buy in your local supermarket?

Dee&Tom

Hello  ALNMIKE,

IF you really really want to say thank you and mean it dont spare the cash buy a nice picture frame ( silver wont breake the bank) and take a picture of them put it in the frame and a little message Every time you look at this think of us.

Not only will this work, it will be shared by every one who see,s that photo in a frame.

P.s but only if you really mean it.[I]