the law here makes me sick!

mooky

For and examination of the UK situation look at Barclays Bank v O'Brien and the cases it spawned. Our approach is totally differing to here in France. Indeed I was in front of the Court of Appeal on a case that flowed from the O'Brien case.

In the UK we go out of our way and rightly to protect what is perceived to be the innocment party.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="woolybanana"]

Irony, Coops, irony!

[/quote]Of course it was ironical for Rumpole, but that's not how it is meant in this context, W/B.  I think I can spot true irony when I see it, thanks.[;-)][/quote]

Thought you might be a bit rusty Poocs!![6]

[quote user="chris pp"]

I thought that was what Brits liked about France, that it was quaint and how the UK used to be, that's what they tell me anyway. That and the fact that they come here to integrate and live like the French.

Chris

[/quote]

Oh Chris I love that comment!

[quote user="Scooby"]

Clair, maybe it's just those in our village that we know reasonably well.  One of them was on the phone last night complaining about the fact that she just feels an appendage to her OH.  She wanted to take a long soak in the bath but couldn't because she had to prepare dinner, put son to bed, bathe elderly father-in-law along the road...while OH was planning an evening with his friends.   If she is at our house in morning, we can see her getting visibly more stressed as 11.30 approaches - needing to leave so she can be sure to have lunch on the table at 12.00 noon sharp.  We've also been at the house when dinner has been late (for very reasonable reasons) and heard her OH rant!

[/quote]

As long as she lays down on the floor just inside the door she will be treated as a doormat. The solution is in her own hands but I suppose that complaining is easier than doing something about it.

John

Partnerships has always been the way to progress provided of course the partners are equal.

I come from the valleys of South Wales and whilst the wives provided for their husbands who were down the pit and looked after the children essentially they ran the home. If my Father stepped out of line then a quiet word and equally to the sons of the marriage and we made sure our Mother was protected. We idolised our Mother. I do find France difficult from that point of view. My wife has her own identity own bank account own income stream and all those good things and we each respect that but of course united you stand divided you fall.

Final point I am much the better cook! But ironing is beyond me.

[quote user="Iceni"]As long as she lays down on the floor just inside the door she will be treated as a doormat. The solution is in her own hands but I suppose that complaining is easier than doing something about it.

John[/quote]To the point... [Www]

[quote user="dragonrouge"]Being in the law I have let us say a view. My view is despite all of its warts and the like the UK system is much much better than here in France. Its codes are lost in time and the system takes for ever to make even the most limited progress. Here there is no such profession as a Solicitor and Avocats I have seen better cattle. Of course have a go at our system and its limitations but it has stood the test of time and our case law and common law approach and precedent is I still maintain a good system. It is entirely a differing view as to our Judges and here I am not to be quoted.[/quote]

Indeed; English (As distinct from Scottish) law is wonderful.

Until one has need to actually use it.

Then like most systems, it is archaic, clumsy and mainly a game for judges, solicitors and barristers.

Despite Lord Wolff's reforms (Access to Justice), "justice" in the civil court still depends on the depth of one's pocket.

As it always has.

Unless, of course, one is a criminal and then Legal Aid pays vast fees to try and bend what are most people's moral values.

My practice took a recent matter up, Pro Bono, since I felt the claimant has a good case and tryable issues and clearly deserved help.

The top flight claimant's solicitors in London we would normally direct clients to (Senior Partner Personal Injury) stated categorically that she had no case.

I believed otherwise.

She has just been awarded £25,500 thanks to my intervention and advice.

And I am not a lawyer: merely a professional who has significant practical experience in case preparation and in particular, financial evidence.

Unfortunately in France as elsewhere there are lawyers and there are lawyers: just as there is wine and wine.

And as many of us know, similarly there are Notaires and there are Notaires.

Sadly, I am presently writing the obit for a very dear friend who passed away two weeks ago tomorrow.

He was an excellent English lawyer and then after an demanding international later career, semi-retired to France and qualified as an Avocat, fighting criminal defense cases attached to the bar in a Pas de Calais area.

With meritorious success, I might add.

Surely, when one marries in France one can elect to enjoy a separate state in one's possessions under the Régime Matrimonial?

Which seems to also apply at divorce.

As always, take the advice first before plunging in.

Hope your life from hereon is happier for you mooky.