Smoking at Restaurants

PaulT

[quote user="PeterG"]If people didn't smoke they would be healthier and live longer. The Government don't want this either, it would put a greater strain on the funding for state pensions, as people would be drawing them for longer.[/quote]I'm all in favour of the smoking ban, but I think we should also make all medical treatment illegal.  This would eventually solve the pension funding crisis, because people would die sooner, and in the meantime it would significantly improve the financial position of the NHS, which wouldn't need to have any staff. 

Two problems solved with one simple piece of legislation!

"Gengulphus wrote the following post at 03/06/2009 10:58:

I don't suppose Jeanne Calmont would ever have reached the magnificent age of 122 if she hadn't given up smoking at 118."

Obviously she was one in a million and as RH said "quality of life" is the key here.  Who knows what her quality of life was like at that ripe old age (that's Jeanne Calmont not RH! [:)].)

Beware any group trying to impose their views on others. At best they are counter productive, and at worst destructive. Pubs are closing because they cannot make money while a lot of their dwindling customer base is standing outside. While others are spending a fortune trying to provide heat to their gardens.

We have for some years spent fortunes trying to stop people from trading and using recreational drugs. Any success?

As a libertarian I respect the rights of all individuals. If some one wants to open a restaurant that allows smoking that should be their right as is my right to choose if I want to eat there

As a side issue – in my view the greatest curse in life is extreme old age.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="PeterG"]If people didn't smoke they would be healthier and live longer. The Government don't want this either, it would put a greater strain on the funding for state pensions, as people would be drawing them for longer.[/quote]I'm all in favour of the smoking ban, but I think we should also make all medical treatment illegal.  This would eventually solve the pension funding crisis, because people would die sooner, and in the meantime it would significantly improve the financial position of the NHS, which wouldn't need to have any staff. 

Two problems solved with one simple piece of legislation!
[/quote]

Yes, the NHS. I work for an Acute NHS Trust. It amazes me the number of patients standing outside the grounds (smoking is banned from NHS buildings and grounds) clutching their drip stand puffing away. Still it probably makes them feel a whole lot better!

I have never smoked and I mean never. Not an angel or owt, I just never wanted to.

I have no objections to anyone smoking anywhere they like, but I do object when they breath out! [:-))]

My biggest objection to clowns who stand outside places smoking is when they just throw the ends on the floor and walk away and leave them there. Mind you these same mindless clowns throw packets, papers and general rubbish down as well most of the time! And before anyone starts, if you throw your cigarette end down then as far as I am concerned you are a stupid, unthinking clown! Easy really

I also feel the same way about clowns who don't clean up after their dogs, or cats!

This is in danger of becoming a "Should you smoke or not" thread, so to try to keep it on track, I offer the following.

This isn't intended to be self-righteous: just what we do.

We're both smokers and make no apology for it. However:

• No smoking inside a restaurant, that's a given
  • Outside, no smoking in between courses
  • No smoking if adjoining diners are still eating, even if we suspect / know that they're smokers too
  • No smoking till adjoining tables have vacated or have started to smoke (not the tables themselves![:)])

Actually, re-reading this, it does sound pretty damm self-righteous, but it isn't meant that way. Just an attempt to be a bit considerate for others.

If all that fails, then tough.

I'm not a smoker and apart from a few Consulate (cool as a mountain stream )in my youth I never have been. I do get irritated by my mother who ignores the fact that smoking is a significant risk factor for osteoporosis, but apart from that all I ask is that smokers keep their smoke away from food, whether inside or out.......

As someone who smoked between 35 and 45 fags a day, I must say that I loathe the filfthy things. I detest the smell of them, and I now see the awful mentality of SOME smokers who, in a very small minority, complain because we dont want smoke next to near us. I went through months of near hell trying to get of the damn things and its was an awful time. Do any of you give a toss that you make it hard for those brave smokers who have, or are trying to, give the disgusting habit up. No, you are, most not all, too protective of your right to smoke to care.

1 smoker 10 people who dont want you to smoke near them. Who is the selfish ONE then........

[quote user="Russethouse"] I'm not a smoker and apart from a few Consulate (cool as a mountain stream )in my youth I never have been. I do get irritated by my mother who ignores the fact that smoking is a significant risk factor for osteoporosis, but apart from that all I ask is that smokers keep their smoke away from food, whether inside or out.......[/quote]

A nice piece of smoked mackerel goes down quite well though, but how do they keep it alight when it's so lovely and moist [8-)][:D] ?

You know what they say Ulster? There's nowt worse than a convert!! [:D][Www]

Gardian, I recon that your thinking sounds more lke courtesy that self-righteousness?

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]As someone who smoked between 35 and 45 fags a day, I must say that I loathe the filfthy things ... I detest the smell of them, and I now see the awful mentality of SOME smokers who, in a very small minority, complain because we dont want smoke next to near us[/quote]

What's worse than a smoker? ... A reformed smoker. That's just hypocritical of you to say what you said. Did YOU care when you were smoking and people complained about it? I doubt it. Don't forget you also had that awful mentality when you lit up. You just kept puffing away and didn't think about it, and now you have the temerity to whine when someone smokes near you. What a hypocrite! [blink]

[quote]Who is the selfish ONE then........[/quote]

That would be you. So 10 points for quitting, but minus several million points for condemning those who still smoke.

For the record, I smoke, but I also care enough NOT to smoke around people, especially those who are eating. So I don't light up after a meal, even at Al Fresco cafes where it is legal to do so. I always wait until I'm well away from people in general. So some smokers do have a sense of proprietry. [:-))]

I was actually surprised to learn France had enacted the no smoking law in Restaurants, cafes etc. Smoking in a french cafe etc was the norm not so long ago. It was part of the french culture. But things change, and I'm sure many people eating inside can now appreciate their food a lot more. [8-|]

[quote user="Jonzjob"] You know what they say Ulster? There's nowt worse than a convert!! [:D][/quote]

I actually missed this ... so yes, my post reflects what Jonzjob said ... [Www]

Gardian wrote:

"We're both smokers and make no apology for it. However:

• No smoking inside a restaurant, that's a given
  • Outside, no smoking in between courses
  • No smoking if adjoining diners are still eating, even if we suspect / know that they're smokers too
  • No smoking till adjoining tables have vacated or have started to smoke (not the tables themselves!Smile [:)])"

If people choose to smoke then for better or worse that is their choice, I just wish they were all as considerate as Gardian.

[quote user="Clarisworkz"][quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]As someone who smoked between 35 and 45 fags a day, I must say that I loathe the filfthy things ... I detest the smell of them, and I now see the awful mentality of SOME smokers who, in a very small minority, complain because we dont want smoke next to near us[/quote]What's worse than a smoker? ... A reformed smoker. That's just hypocritical of you to say what you said. Did YOU care when you were smoking and people complained about it? I doubt it. Don't forget you also had that awful mentality when you lit up. You just kept puffing away and didn't think about it, and now you have the temerity to whine when someone smokes near you. What a hypocrite! [blink][quote]Who is the selfish ONE then........[/quote]That would be you. So 10 points for quitting, but minus several million points for condemning those who still smoke.

For the record, I smoke, but I also care enough NOT to smoke around people, especially those who are eating. So I don't light up after a meal, even at Al Fresco cafes where it is legal to do so. I always wait until I'm well away from people in general. So some smokers do have a sense of proprietry. [:-))]

I was actually surprised to learn France had enacted the no smoking law in Restaurants, cafes etc. Smoking in a french cafe etc was the norm not so long ago. It was part of the french culture. But things change, and I'm sure many people eating inside can now appreciate their food a lot more. [8-|]

[quote user="Jonzjob"] You know what they say Ulster? There's nowt worse than a convert!! [:D][/quote]

I actually missed this ... so yes, my post reflects what Jonzjob said ... [Www][/quote]

Perhaps Clarisworkz, you should re-read my post. I clearly state (and in large letters so some people might see it) SOME. I did not say all and nor did I imply it. When I smoked, I never smoked in anyones house EVEN (big letters again for your benefit) if they smoked. I stopped because I didnt want my kids to smoke. What is hypocritical about disliking something and stating it. Especially when I have had the balls to quit which is more than can be said for SOME (big letters again).

AS for your question about did I care. No, I suppose must be the response. I dont know that I could answer that any other way. The difference is that I finally did. Many havent and while you are one of those who does consider, you must admit that there are many who dont and believe that its their right to blow smoke into the faces of, or over the meals or drinks of, those who dont.

[quote user="Clarisworkz"]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]As someone who smoked between 35 and 45 fags a day, I must say that I loathe the filfthy things ... I detest the smell of them, and I now see the awful mentality of SOME smokers who, in a very small minority, complain because we dont want smoke next to near us[/quote]

What's worse than a smoker? ... A reformed smoker. That's just hypocritical of you to say what you said. Did YOU care when you were smoking and people complained about it? I doubt it. Don't forget you also had that awful mentality when you lit up. You just kept puffing away and didn't think about it, and now you have the temerity to whine when someone smokes near you. What a hypocrite! [blink]

[quote]Who is the selfish ONE then........[/quote]

That would be you. So 10 points for quitting, but minus several million points for condemning those who still smoke.

I actually missed this ... so yes, my post reflects what Jonzjob said ... [Www]

[/quote]

A little confused. Firstly you call an ex smoker a hypocrite and later you state that things change.

Yes, things do change and the change is to not smoking - but it would seem that in your book smokers should not become ex-smokers and if they do they should keep quiet about it.

[quote user="Clarisworkz"]

Smoking in a french cafe etc was the norm not so long ago. It was part of the french culture.

[/quote]

I still remember a quote many years ago on a tv travel programme about Normandy by the late Pete McCarthy. "They should have a fag on the flag"

Otherwise I echo Cendrillon's comment about Gardian - if only all smokers were so considerate.

Brian (again)

[quote user="P2"]A little confused. Firstly you call an ex smoker a hypocrite and later you state that things change.[/quote]

I did state that things change, but I wasn't referring to people who give up smoking. I meant the french culture of smoking. The change was forced on them, like it was on us here in Australia.  Sure people change too, whether it be quitting the smokes or giving up booze.

[quote]but it would seem that in your book smokers should not become ex-smokers and if they do they should keep quiet about it[/quote]

This might be just my way of thinking, but if I did quit (which I will eventually) smoking, it would be for my benefit, no-one else's. And I certainly wouldn't enforce my views on other smokers because I suddenly am a no-smoker. For me to say to a smoker, "Oh put that disgusting thing out" or condemn them for puffing away is hypocritical. I detest alcohol, it's not my thing. But I don't put people down because they drink it. Unless they're drink drivers and then I think any sane person would criticise that.

So yes, I think reformed smokers should be happy they quit and just get on with living.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]What is hypocritical about disliking something and stating it[/quote]

Absolutely nothing wrong with disliking something and saying so. It was the way you said it. You implied that because you have stopped smoking, that everyone should damn well do it or be condemned for it, and you must admit that's exactly what it reads as. But it is your opinion. You have the right to state it, even if others including myself, think it's hypocritical. [:)]

[quote]you must admit that there are many who dont and believe that its their right to blow smoke into the faces of, or over the meals or drinks of, those who dont[/quote]

I do admit there are people like that. I come across them here in Perth all the time. It's why I don't do it to people. I do have that consideration. But yes, ignorant smokers do exist, and yes, it isn't very nice. I've had smoke blown over me whilst eating outside al fresco. I didn't like it, so I moved to another table. Now I dislike those people, not for being smokers, but for being ignorant.

But this argument can go on forever, you know like Ford vs GM, or Intel vs AMD, or smokers vs non-smokers [blink], so I think the original topic was "Is it legal to smoke outside a cafe in France" ...

The answer is Yes.

For now.

[:)]