Shakespeare in French

Chancer

I should really know better than to drageur the opposite sex in Intermarché, this one has mistaken me for someone of intellect and has invited me to the théâtre to see "Sir John Falstaff et les joyeuses gaillardes de Windsor".

Now given that Shakespeare even in English goes straight over my head I feel that this will be an epreuve.

I have never heard of this play and even if I had I wouldnt know anything about it, can someone give me a basic idea of the story which might just help me to keep up?

Also are there likely to be some obscure historical tenses used?

Thanks Cat.

Nothing too complicated then! [Www]

When she asks what I thought of it I will say that I think that I prefer "Plus Belle (poubelle) la vie" [;-)]

I still cant work out why she should think that I am intellectual, perhaps in France they also dress like an S.D.F.

[quote user="NormanH"] A homeless person.
Sans Domicile Fixe
[/quote]

Thank you, Norman.  So many things to learn and don't know if I'll ever have enough "memory" and can't add to it like I did with my computer.

Will reply soon to your PM and yes, I do know that Sarabande. 

Un bo Q as opposed to a fo Q ?

Revenons à nos moutons:

I have had enormous pleasure from Shakespeare over the last 50 years, but even I would hesitate to go and see the Merry Wives of Windsor, one of his weakest plays which even the best actors have difficulty in lifting out of tedium, in French..

Sorry to be pedantic but that would have to be Beau cul, belle gueule [:P]

At first my accent was so bad that when I said "merci beaucoup" to a waiter it came out as "thank you nice ar5e" [6]

Does "beau cul, dommage à propos la gueule" work in French?

Looks like I am not the first pedant [;-)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Sorry to be pedantic but that would have to be Beau cul, belle gueule [:P]

At first my accent was so bad that when I said "merci beaucoup" to a waiter it came out as "thank you nice ar5e" [6]

Does "beau cul, dommage à propos la gueule" work in French?

[/quote]

You could start a thread asking our native speakers how to say such gallantries in French.

To start how would  you say

"I wouldn't kick it out of bed ' ?  [:)]

[quote user="NormanH"]Un bo Q as opposed to a fo Q ?

Revenons à nos moutons:

I have had enormous pleasure from Shakespeare over the last 50 years, but even I would hesitate to go and see the Merry Wives of Windsor, one of his weakest plays which even the best actors have difficulty in lifting out of tedium, in French..
[/quote]

Revenons à nous moutons indeed.

Don't they say that the only person who tells you that Shakespeare is NOT difficult is an English teacher?

Anyway, there are moutons under our bed and we are going away for a week tomorrow.  Help!!! 

[quote user="Chancer"]Sorry to be pedantic but that would have to be Beau cul, belle gueule [:P][/quote]

Well you asked the question, why if you already knew the answer ?

I tried to answer you, I made a small mistake, next time perhaps I won't bother.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="Chancer"]Sorry to be pedantic but that would have to be Beau cul, belle gueule [:P][/quote]

Well you asked the question, why if you already knew the answer ?

I tried to answer you, I made a small mistake, next time perhaps I won't bother.
[/quote]

If I had known the answer I would not have asked the question, I was commenting on your use of belle cu instead of beau cul, I thought you might want to know the correct gender and spelling, I also prefaced it by saying I was being pedantic and I see I was not the only one. 

I shall put your response down to your back pain, I hope you get some relief soon.

Actually, I was just trying to be helpful and out of the goodness of my heart, was giving a bit of free tuition - I do believe in helping each out, as it is one of the functions of this forum?![:P]

As a native French speaker and qualified  teacher, I am not used to being called pedantic for correcting someone's approximate French. Although I have to grant you,  my free tuition was unsollicited ...

[quote user="Chancer"] I was commenting on your use of belle cu instead of beau cul, I thought you might want to know the correct gender and spelling,[/quote]

Of course you did,  you saw 5th Elements's reply and then thought, I'll reinforce that point so it really sinks in, silly me.

[quote user="5-element"]Actually, I was just trying to be helpful and out of the goodness of my heart, was giving a bit of free tuition - I do believe in helping each out, as it is one of the functions of this forum?![:P]

As a native French speaker and qualified  teacher, I am not used to being called pedantic for correcting someone's approximate French. Although I have to grant you,  my free tuition was unsollicited ...

[/quote]

I know you were 5-E and it was appreciated. My pedant comment was said in jest, hence the smilie.

No offence meant.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="Chancer"] I was commenting on your use of belle cu instead of beau cul, I thought you might want to know the correct gender and spelling,[/quote]

Of course you did,  you saw 5th Elements's reply and then thought, I'll reinforce that point so it really sinks in, silly me.

[/quote]

I have been in Belgium today and have just returned to read this, well I wont inflame things by saying what words I would have used to describe it.

You are completely wrong and out of order Bugsy.

Look carefully at the times of the postings, I didnt read 5E's posting until I had posted mine so I went back and editted in the bit that said "I see I am not the only one" , the rest of the posting including the word pedantic was unchanged.

What I cannot understand, unless you have a persecution complex or I have upset you in some other way, is how two people can post practically identical replies and you take umbrage with one yet think the other is amusing. Editted you said helpfull not amusing.

I shall put it down to experience and wont dare to correct your French in future as emoticons dont seem to work or maybe I will pretend to be 5 element.

I hope your back has improved.