What is your village festival like?

NormanH

We once attended the vide grenier in Rennes with friends and went to Cancale for lunch on the Saturday lunchtime. It happened to be the day of the fete... Adult men and women dressed in green, paraded through the streets carrying baskets of oysters between them and singing songs - if I hadn't been sober I wouldn't have believed it !

Our village has several fêtes and usually we are worked into two adjoining villages also for many things, especially religious ones as there is one curé here covering about 6 communes. We have fêtes covering the museum of rural life,fêtes des quartiers,the communist party fête,fête de musique and several others. The primary school holds a festival every two years with a play and then music, danding and eating and of course, being Brittany, all villages hold a Fest Noz. Ours is a big one and attracts several hundred and Sonerian Du alway play.

A couple of years ago we were in France for the 14th July. Our village was advertising un spectacle - stunts. A picture of motor bikes in racing mode adorned the poster. Being at a loose end, OH and I set out, found the square where the event was to be held, (we were the first to arrive, we are only just now realising that time is fluid in France), and found a spot to sit.

About an hour later, a crowd had gathered and one motor bike arrived. Around 200yds of road had been coned off, this was the arena. After several consultations with (we assume), a Health and Safety bod from the Mairie, the action started. This lone biker sped up and down his bit of road, standing on one leg, or with one hand raised in the air, or crouched on his hunkers. This continued for half an hour or so, in between times he revved up his engine so that it smoked.  The spectators clapped enthusiastically, the children present eyed the machine avariciously, then the finale: said biker revved up again, while pulling hard on the brakes. There was a bang, a flash, a lot of smoke and a wrecked bike. We watched in amusement as it was loaded back on to its trailer. Thus ended the spectacle.

We didn't bother this year. 

But why do you need "things" to happen?  Even children should be able to amuse themselves for large parts of the time?

I simply don't get  "but-nowt-is-going-on".....I am not being contentious, I really, truly and definitely do NOT understand it.

I agree with you Sweet. When we lived in the UK we weren't always rushing off to 'do things' and I don't understand either why some people seem to feel there should be more happening in France than in the UK. There is plenty going on in France if you want to go and find it, but don't expect it to come to you - any more than it would in the UK.

My guess is that quite a few of the people who move over here to country areas have come from city or urban areas in the UK so are used to a busier life with more hustle and bustle going on around them. They experience a relaxing holiday in France and think they would like to live like that all the time. The reality is that they get bored with country living and then complain nothing ever happens in rural France.

Of course I'm not suggesting that anyone on this Forum is at all like that![Www]

And that is why I could no longer live in the countryside, there or here. Do I go rushing off doing things, nope not very often. But for me, I know that IF I want to have it, there is life on my doorstep, activities, courses, people, pubs, cinema, restos and often I can walk, and there is no driving needed,  but buses and handy cheap taxis;  even take aways, not that I do very often.  I now live wher I CAN, if I want!

Now in France I had to drive and couldn't just 'do ' anything, without us deciding who was driving etc, although it was usually me, as I rarely drink.

In the end I felt claustrphobic and trapped really.

We were together a lot from day one in France, me not working and his hours being that odd that it meant he was at home a lot, it was a good job that we were fine in one another's company, as often that was all we had, one another.