Gendarmerie

jimmytaktak

[quote user="Patf"]

Welcome to you.

Can you explain if there is any difference between the french gendarmerie that we see locally, on the roads etc, and the army that serves in countries abroad.

[/quote]

On the one hand, gendarmes are militaries who are charged with police duties among the civilian population and a military police force. On the other hand, as you said, the army is trained to serve abroad. Thus, the only difference is the zone of intervention of the military body. Eventually, it is not the same work...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

I shouldn't worry too much about spelling mistakes if I were you. Google has a toolbar for Internet Explorer with a spell checker which I use as my spelling is very poor at times. It's the grammar that's the problem just like us English have problems with French grammar at times (well for me most of the time).

I did have a question. A year or two ago I had to give a statement to our local Gendarmerie. My French not being so good they took it in English then wrote it in French. Before I gave my statement the lady had to read something to me about my rights with regards to giving a statement. I am not too sure what that was about as I was only a witness. She translated it in to English for me but I have to say it was not very good English. At the end she wrote on the statement that I had been informed of my rights regarding the statement, her name and number (wish it was her phone number she was very beautiful) and underneath she wrote that she had translated it in to English, I had understood it and that she had a Diploma in English.

I would like to know where she got this diploma from and who actually taught her. For instance do the Gendamerie use English teachers or French teachers, do they do 'role play' and how long is the course?

I admire you for 'having a go' especially in an English forum and I am sure we will all try and help you as much as we can. Perhaps your friends might like to participate as well.

To help us, what do you find is the main problem with the English when you encounter them in your work, no understanding of French language (I suspect the biggest problem), French law, are they rude or well behaved in comparison to the French. What could the English do to help make your job easier?

[/quote]

I am sorry that I can not answer you because I am not a gendarme yet. Maybe I will be able to answer you when I pass the examination...

[quote user="John Martin BRADLEY"]Jimmy your English is excellent.
I have a question for you.  I am writing a book, it is really a photographic book, where I interview and photograph pilots from World War II.  I am looking for one or two French aviators who flew in the French Airforce or who flew with the RAF in WWII.  Many of these guys would have worked closely with the army, for example with the paratroop regiments in Indochina and North Africa during the conflicts in these regions.   Some of my pilots are high ranking officers.  It is not my intention to interview senior officers.  They can be of any rank.

Do you know any pilots who "fit the bill" (conform to my requirements) and would it be possible for you to assist me in making contact with them?

For your information I have interviewed four British pilots, four Germans, a South African, a Czech, and two Australian pilots.  Examples of some of my photographs of pilots may be seen at  http://gallery.mac.com/johnmartinbradley#100142&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Please accept my apologies for being so forward in making this request and thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Best regards
John

[/quote]

Sorry John, I do not know anybody conform to your requierements and I can not help you for the "Pilot Project" since I admire what you do...

Best regards

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy and welcome on here!![:D]

As a matter of interest, why did you want to become a gendarme? I would make a guess that you don't get any choice where you go after you have finished your training?

Quillan. Have a look at your PMs please.

Question for jimmytaktak please...

As you are going to be a Gendarme, perhaps you can help me out here.

We were stopped on a spot check with our car. French registered, all paperwork in order.

We do have an EU /UK photo card licence though.

The Gendarme told us that there was no problem with having this, but that we should get a translation from the Prefecture & it was possible we needed a carte de sejour.

We are British, resident in France & retired & the Prefecture seem to know nothing about these requirements, in fact, they told us we couldn't have a carte de sejour.

So, should we have a translation of the EU licence then?

And another question (or questions) for jimmytaktak:

If I wanted to become a gendarmette:

- what is the upper age limit to join?

- is there a statutory height required?

- does a prospective gendarme/gendarmette have to have perfect eyesight?

- do all gendarmes learn to shoot?

Is there a site where one could find the answers to all these questions?

Thank you in advance.

[quote user="Shivy"]when you join the gendarmerie are you able to choose the department and city that you want to work in or do they just post you anywhere?[/quote]

The choice of the departement and city depends on your classification at the exit of the school of gendarmerie. If you belong to the first, there is much choice. However, if you are badly classified, perhaps you will be far from your home.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hi Jimmy and welcome on here!![:D]

As a matter of interest, why did you want to become a gendarme? I would make a guess that you don't get any choice where you go after you have finished your training?

Quillan. Have a look at your PMs please.

[/quote]

To write what follows, I do not have enough time to write it in English. Thus, I am sorry to have to write it in French. I hope you will understand it anyway :

Pourquoi devenir gendarme ? / Why become a gendarme ?

Je veux devenir gendarme parce que j’ai la conviction qu’il existe des gens « biens »  à protéger contre d’autres gens peut-être « moins biens ». Je sais que les gens ont besoin d’aide et de protection et être gendarme c’est être au service de ces gens et donc de la loi. C’est être soi-même fort pour protéger ceux qui sont plus faibles. Etre gendarme c’est porter secours mais aussi rassurer par sa présence. Les gendarmes contribuent donc à la sécurité et au bien-être des personnes. En contre partie, les gendarmes obéissent parfois à des ordres avec lesquels ils ne sont pas toujours d’accord. Ils acceptent donc d’être parfois obligés de se ranger du côté du gouvernement. Mais en m’engageant j’accepte tout cela et je regarde ce que j’aime. J’aime le contact avec la population, j’aime la mobilité et j’aime beaucoup le respect. J’aime aussi savoir que lorsque je fais une chose, cela contribue à quelque chose de bien même si tout cela requiert parfois une prise de risque. On se souci souvent du danger qu’encourt une personne, plus que le danger que l’on encourt soi-même. C’est pour cela que l’on est parfois plus fort et résolu dans une décision, mais aussi plus incompris par ceux qui nous entourent parce qu’ils nous voient prendre ces risques. Alors pourquoi je veux faire ça ? Est-ce pour la gloire ? Non, les gendarmes sont mal-aimés presque autant que les policiers. Est-ce pour l’argent alors ? Non plus, le salaire d’un gendarme excède très rarement les 2000 € (£1761). Dans ce cas, pourquoi devenir gendarme ? Et bien tout simplement parce que je crois qu’en étant militaire dans la gendarmerie on vie pour défendre une cause juste, même si cela implique des sacrifices sur certains autres domaines de la vie. Car je pense que dans la vie, on n’est pas forcément comblé que lorsqu’on a fondé une famille. On  peut être heureux par diverses manières et une vie consacrée à son métier n’est pas forcément une vie gaspillée. Alors même si certains on du mal à le comprendre, consacrer sa vie au métier de gendarme n’est pas une cause perdu. Même si en fin de carrière je n’avais sauvé qu’une seule vie, même si j’avais seulement essayé de  sauver ou de protéger des vies, aurai-je gâché ma vie ? Aurai-je gaspillé ma vie à prendre des risques ? Cela rappelle une question de philosophie : « est-ce que la fin justifie les moyens ? » ; est-ce que la volonté de protéger et de porter secours aux personnes justifie que l’on prenne des risques. C’est une question d’opinion. J’ai déjà donné mon avis là-dessus. C’est donc pour cela que j’ai beaucoup de respect pour les militaires en général et c’est aussi pour cela que je veux être compté parmi eux comme aideur et protecteur des citoyens.

[quote user="splishsplash"]Question for jimmytaktak please...
As you are going to be a Gendarme, perhaps you can help me out here.
We were stopped on a spot check with our car. French registered, all paperwork in order.
We do have an EU /UK photo card licence though.
The Gendarme told us that there was no problem with having this, but that we should get a translation from the Prefecture & it was possible we needed a carte de sejour.
We are British, resident in France & retired & the Prefecture seem to know nothing about these requirements, in fact, they told us we couldn't have a carte de sejour.
So, should we have a translation of the EU licence then?
[/quote]

If the Prefecture knows nothing about these requirements, I do not know any more lol. Sorry, I can not help you...

[quote user="5-element"]

And another question (or questions) for jimmytaktak:

If I wanted to become a gendarmette:

- what is the upper age limit to join?

- is there a statutory height required?

- does a prospective gendarme/gendarmette have to have perfect eyesight?

- do all gendarmes learn to shoot?

Is there a site where one could find the answers to all these questions?

Thank you in advance.

[/quote]

Answers :

- what is the upper age limit to join ?      36 years old.

- is there a statutory height required ? Minimal height :     1,70 m (men) / 1,60 m (women).

- does a prospective gendarme/gendarmette have to have perfect eyesight?     Perfect is not an obligation.

- do all gendarmes learn to shoot ?     Yes, they do.

Is there a site where one could find the answers to all these questions ?     For more informations about conditions of candidature you can go on the fourth page of : http://www.recrutement.gendarmerie.defense.gouv.fr/contenu/approfondir/documentation/documentations_de_recrutement/sous_officier

For those which discover the topic, I remind that I am here to offer you my assistance. I am French. Moreover I remind also that you can ask me any question about the French army and I will try to answer you if I can. In exchange, I only ask that you correct my spelling mistakes. Thanks...

5-e, I am delighted to see that you are truly on form and so very sharp at the ungodly hour of 5.48 when I was still in the Land of Nod.

No spelling mistakes indeed!  You are Naughty but Nice..............[kiss]

a quick grammer correction...

For those which discover the topic

I think this should be... 

For those whom discover the topic or For those who discover the topic

depending on if you use dative or not.

I have the same problem in French... when to use quel and when to use qui

btw: very good command of the english language... 

Jimmy, thank you for taking the time to answer in so much detail. I think that I understand most of it? It is good practice for my French![8-)]

I wish you good luck with your career![:D]

I think that you will find that 2000€ is a bit more than £1761 with the exchange rate as it is at the moment and it is very good time to take holidays in England [:D]..

[quote user="osie"]a quick grammer correction...

[/quote]

Blimey Osie, that is getting very close to perfect old me-thinks? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dative_case . I wouldn't know if it were correct even if I knew to whom it were directed?[8-)][;-)]

Then again English never was a strong point for me ?

[quote user="osie"]a quick grammer correction...

[/quote]

Ok. Thank you...

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Jimmy, thank you for taking the time to answer in so much detail. I think that I understand most of it? It is good practice for my French![8-)]

I wish you good luck with your career![:D]

I think that you will find that 2000€ is a bit more than £1761 with the exchange rate as it is at the moment and it is very good time to take holidays in England [:D]..

[/quote]

:) Thank you John... :)

• 2 months later...