Carrying a penknife

FairyNuff

Does anyone know the rules in France for carrying a small penknife? I have been told that as long as the blade is shorter than your palm it's allowed, but someone else warned me when they saw it - "Attention aux Gendarmes!" I carry one occasionally, so I'd like to know the possible problems.

Many thanks

FairyNuff

Blades, knives and other weapons which are not fire-weapons are called armes blanches.

According to art. 2 of decree n° 95-589 of 6 may 1995 (previously decree of 18 avr il 1939 art. 1), armes blanches are "all objects which may constitute a weapon dangerous to public safety". This includes needles, crossbows, knuckledusters, tear-gas sprays...

Technically, if you carry such a weapon outside the home without legitimate cause, you may be committing an offence.
It is the legitimate cause, not the carrying of the weapon which determines whether or not the an offence is being/has been committed.

If you are a fisherman or a hunter on your way to or from fishing or hunting, you have a legitimate cause to carry a knife.

In practice, I very much doubt you have any cause to worry about carrying your small penknife.

Almost all the men and many of the woman around here carry penknives. They are often of a very good make and ones that they've had for years. I suppose the fact they are nearly all farmers or smallholders would be suficient reason for carrying them if they were stopped by the police.

Hoddy 

You're safe!  All able bodied people here carry scary looking knives and do dangerous things like slice bread towards their bosoms with them.  Not having your own knife at a village fête marks you out as a culturally impoverished foreigner[:D]

[quote user="FairyNuff"]Thanks for all the replies. In fact I only carry it when I'm on first aid duty, so I'm probably fairly safe to continue. It has a small pair of scissors amongst other things, including the all-important cork screw! FairyNuff[/quote]

That sounds more like "Thirst aid" than first aid [:D]

I have carried a legal length knife ever since I travelled, I feel kind of naked without it, iI use it a lot, very often to aid people struggling with their own blunt instruments, whenever I whip it out to help anyone (ooh - err!) in France they never seem peturbed whereas when I do the same thing in England you would think that I had pulled out a cocked and loaded AK47 assault rifle by the shocked and frightened reactions.

[quote user="teapot"]

[quote user="FairyNuff"]Thanks for all the replies. In fact I only carry it when I'm on first aid duty, so I'm probably fairly safe to continue. It has a small pair of scissors amongst other things, including the all-important cork screw! FairyNuff[/quote]

That sounds more like "Thirst aid" than first aid [:D]

[/quote]

LOL, Teapot!

I agree with that, anyone I have asked (usually because they are cutting up their casse croute or picking their teeth with a Rambo combat knife) has replied that the blade should be no longer than the distance across the base of your four fingers.

Here in France, my son has to take a penknife to boy scouts, ever since he was only 9 years old. He has to hand it back as soon as he gets home!

And just in case you ask, he did injure himself (hand bandaged for a week) - on the third outing.

A funny, but true story about knives.

I was stopped at Portsmouth ferry port on a trip back to france, and asked if I had any weapons in the car (my old jeep). "No", I replied and then remembered the one in my door pocket so, "apart from this one" I said. He looked at my knife ( an american 'Buck' folding lock-knife) and said "I'm going to confiscate this"................. "like bloody hell you are, I live in france and use it for cutting bale twine and stuff"

The reply ...........absolute classic.

"Oh, are you a farmer sir? , thats OK then" and gave it back to me. [:D][:D]

I did ask about cutlery draws in caravans (usually full of knives) but didn't get a response.

At Tours airport there are signs telling you what you can take and what you cannot. Clearly shows a penknife which is ok as long as the blade is 4.5 cm or less.

Obviously Bugbear you needed your knife for your work,.....as would a terrorist [:)]

It always brought a smile to my face in various Pacific islands to see toddlers proudly dragging their first macheté behind them, usually taller than they were [:D]

Now can you imagine the reaction if a child did that in Camberwell or Stoke Newington? [:-))]

On the flip-side, my neighbours son was stopped on his moped coming home from a night out a while back. The feds searched the `ped and found a knife in the bottom of the wee storage box. He is an apprentice cabinetmaker,so often carries tools around, and he had genuinely forgotten this was in his bike.( I believe it was a stanley knife, or similar) He spent several hours in the cells, and was given a pretty hefty fine for carrying it.

FairyNuff, I think it is fairly safe from the responses that you have received to your post, that none of us really have a clue what the proper legal position is!

The danger is that the Feds take much less of a relaxed view, than the local Flic who may know you. Like many things in France it depends on the mood of the individual official on the day!

Thank you for so many replies. As I only carry it when I'm in uniform for a first aid duty it's hopefully highly unlikey that the gendarmes are going to stop me and search the car (or me!). Generally it stays in my pocket, unseen by anyone. I feel that the whole situation is rather elastic, having seen all sorts of blades and weapons for sale at brocantes and vide-greniers with what seems to be apparent impunity.

FairyNuff