Cheesecake

Val_2

We had a sudden craving for one of these, first time in many years. Remembered I had a recipe on one of those free glossy cards one of the big UK supermarkets used to give away years and years ago and it worked very well with the marscapone cheese and Bastogne biscuits for the crumble base as we can't get Digestives outside the local town. If anyone wants this recipe which can be adapted to all sorts of flavours, let me know. This made us realise how little choice for deserts ready-made there really are here in France,they always stick to the same few well known recipes and don't try anything else.

I got the recipe from a well known supermarket so can't mention any names in case of copyright etc.

Biscuit base - Large pkt (at least 200g) of favourite biscuits like Digestive,Ginger or here in france, Bastogne the cinnamon ones work allright. Crush in a bowl until they are crumbs or you can do it in a liquidizer or processor but means more washing up!
Melt at least 2 or 3oz butter in small saucepan and when melted take off heat and stir in biscuit crumbs until well blended. I think that the more butter you put in, the better the base will set more solidly. Take a 7" flan dish,spring-sided tin or loose-bottomed tin and press this mixture firmly on the bottom level and then put in the fridge to set.

For the filling - You need 2 x 250g tubs of Marscapone cheese and I use the economy brand from Super U which is as good.
One and a half ounces of seived icing sugar.
Flavouring - I made lime and chocolate chip,but you can use any citrus fruit,soft fruits,tinned fruit - anything you like really.
Therefore you need 2 x limes with the zest (peel) finely grated and both squeezed of their juice and add this to the above chees and sugar in a bowl. Beat well together until the juice is mixed in and add some choc chips if you wish. Spread this lot out on the biscuit base,level off or fluff up and decorate with anything from choc chips, choc leaves,grapes etc and then place the lot back in the fridge for a good half hour before eating.

Obviously you can double up for large meals, fruit liquor can be added too if you wish. I am going to try it with some fresh raspberries when they are ripe soon.

This would go well with a good sweet chilled muscat wine for desert.
Bon appetit.

I used to get individual cheesecakes in the Geant. Nothing great but it made a change for a quick dessert. I suddenly realised we hadn't had them for ages and have now found out they are no longer stocked, so send me your recipe as well please, Val.

Liz

• 3 weeks later...
>We had a sudden craving for
>one of these, first time
>in many years. Remembered I
>had a recipe on one
>of those free glossy cards
>one of the big UK
>supermarkets used to give away
>years and years ago and
>it worked very well with
>the marscapone cheese and Bastogne
>biscuits for the crumble base
>as we can't get Digestives
>outside the local town. If
>anyone wants this recipe which
>can be adapted to all
>sorts of flavours, let me
>know. This made us realise
>how little choice for deserts
>ready-made there really are here
>in France,they always stick to
>the same few well known
>recipes and don't try anything
>else.

I make mine with fromage blanc, a small plain joghourt, and a jelly made up with a tiny drop of water. I dont seem to get on with gelatine, and the fruit in the jelly gives a lovely flavour. (have to bring the jelly from the UK though, I cant find them anywhere in France) If the top is decorated with the same fruit as the jelly, it is "lush" as my children used to say.

Val - I've got the same recipe card and can certainly recommend the cheesecake, it's delicious and always turns out well. And it's so easy to make. I usually make it with lemons rather than limes and often top it with grated or shaved chocolate. The recipe suggests chocolate leaves but I've never tried making them (too impatient!!)
Bernice