It's that time of year again !

Me0wp00

Val2, you should be OK by the beginning of next week. I had a wisdom tooth out just before christmas a few years ago and for all I suffered discomfort for the first couple of days, I was alright within a few days. So you should be able to have everything over the holiday period.

Its out but I made sure he gave me a second dose of anaesthesie as I could feel everything and I wasn't having that again (kicked the last bloke in the crutch when he started too early). Actually I reckon I may well get my dinner as the hole isn't too bad this time round. Whats this mascapone thing and mince pies please, anything new I'm keen to try and have an abundance of jars of mincemeat just arrived from Tesco.

[quote user="viva"]

Is it possible to by suet in France?

[/quote]

I have bought Atora sometimes in the British section at Intermarche.  I have also been able to obtain from butchers "the fat surrounding the kidneys" and minced it myself but have never seen it on sale normally.

Regards

Anne

I have often made my own mincemeat in the past. If I haven't had suet I have used grated butter in the mix, although not as much as if I was using suet. The recipe I like best is from Dorothy Sleighthome's Farmhouse kitchen. Not too sweet or too spicy, very nice in fact. And as I am in England at the moment haven't got it with me, so sorry.

And the mascarpone pastry is a doddle, even someone who can't bake can do it and it really is delicious. And sorry again as I haven't got that recipe with me either and have done it so often that I do it au pif now. But someone on here will have it.

In a former life I once visited the factory where Atora beef suet was made. If I remeber rightly it was in the Sunderland area and was then part of the Rank Hovis McDougall group.

If ever you've seen what goes into it and how it is made you'd never go near the stuff (polite word) in a 100 years.

Benjamin

Tried to edit and got timed out after about a minute..... strange.

Anyway, rub in the flour and butter and salt as usual and knead in the mascarpone. Or as long as the butter is a bit softened, then bang the lot in a mixer or food processor, it makes no difference, this really is pastry for anyone.

Roll out and make what you want and bake at pastry heat, around 200 degrees C until golden.

Yes I found the vegetarian suet a lot better than the normal one and it didn't seem to be so greasy eiçther. My fried and I use cheap cooking marge that we have deep frozen and then grated  for making dumplings with and that works quite well.

[quote user="Val_2"]Yes I found the vegetarian suet a lot better than the normal one and it didn't seem to be so greasy eiçther. My fried and I use cheap cooking marge that we have deep frozen and then grated  for making dumplings with and that works quite well.[/quote]

If you had any idea what goes into cheap marge you would use suet - if you are an Archers fan, all I can say is that poor Betty probably used the cheap cooking marge'. Look at what goes into any non buttter 'spread' or non animal stuff they claim is 'good for you' and you will read the ingredients of artery filler. As for free radicals - this Christmas stuff is not good for you - unless of course it is made with TU's pastry - that looks healthy as much as pastry ever can be and a little of what you fancy does you good - well that is my excuse. I wanted to put a party smiley here but this obviously does not work in Firefox - so will have to do with a virtual party one :)

Home made mincemeat is wonderful - and very easy to make.  And when you've tasted it you'll never eat the vinegary shop bought stuff again - eeewww

Kathie

p.s - nice variation on mincepies is using squares of filo pastry slightly offset and pulled together like a little tied parcel, or puff pastry brushed with egg and sprinkled with preserving suger (has nice big crystals which look pretty).

Di. Cheap marg meaning not the complete rubbish but the better out of the block marg for cooking like Astoria and unfortunately when you can't get something you have to improvise.They don't do suet in the local Irish franchise. I've managed to get all my lot onto Omega spread for nearly a year now and we really like it and the other stuff is ignored,butter only used in cooking and never on bread.