MELONS!

TWINKLE

Just bought and enjoyed my first charente melon of the season to-day and it was quite tasty!  I am very au fait on how to select this particular variety - let me know if anyone's interested!

However, I'm never sure how to tell if the pale green and bright yellow rugby ball shaped Spanish ones are ripe enough to eat.  Any tips?

No. I've seen old ladies do it in the supermarket. Tap with the middle finger of the right hand, slightly crooked, whilst arching the other fingers out of the way. Possibly extend the little finger.

Or maybe you push it and see if it gives a little bit, sniff it and see if it smells of ripe melon.

I think the hollowsoundingness may have been fresh-baked bread.

That is a method that a lot of folks use, but I've been told that it's not reliable.  I think checking that the stem end is slightly soft and that there's a good melon odor is a better indicator.  Also, for any melon that has a "netting" on the outside, you want to make sure that it doesn't have too many un-netted places.  I've also been told to look at the color; there should be a creaminess to it, not too much bright green..

PG

Thank you all for your replies, but you seem to be talking abou the charente variety

I know how to choose those.  At the moment they are not sweet enough, so I prefer the spanish varieties like these

they don't have an odour when you smell them, so I don't know if I'm buying a ripe one or not. 

Ali, you weren't that Martian were you?

There are no date stickers here. Someone just brings them round and dumps them outside the door. Damned inconvenient if you ask me.

Also, Gill mentioned the melon scooped out and filled with Pineau.

That's also inconvenient; trying to find a way to eat the melon and leave the Rocket Fuel which is Pineau 

[quote user="Tresco"]

Ali, you weren't that Martian were you?

There are no date stickers here. Someone just brings them round and dumps them outside the door. Damned inconvenient if you ask me.

Also, Gill mentioned the melon scooped out and filled with Pineau.

That's also inconvenient; trying to find a way to eat the melon and leave the Rocket Fuel which is Pineau 

[/quote]

I'll have it if you don't like it Tresco![:P]

Charentaise melons are delicious with Serrano ham. Ask Sylvie on the meat counter to slice it "chiffonade" style - superb!! 

See how I got us back on topic there?  I'm getting good at this forum thing[;-)]

Charentaise melons are delicious with Serrano ham

That's how we have melon round here Twinks! Preferably.

One wierd thing about melons though. Round/near here there are signs for melons everywhere (or there will be).

But why don't you ever see them before?  I see everything else but melons. Are they grown in secret hideaways or something?.

Someone will tell me how to  spot them, I'm sure

I actually grew 10 of them successfully a few years ago.  They grow very close to the ground with huge leaves (like pumpkins)  but they weren't ready to eat 'til about July.  My hubbys grandmother sugested that I lay the fruit while it was growing on a brick or piece of terracotta tile.  This keeps it warm during the day and protects it from the soggy soil preventing it from rotting.

Oh my God, I went all Charley Dimmock then!

[:D] That's what happens when you bother with Tresco

Me!!  A martian!!  Nope - but Mark told me to give that reply!!  Honest!!

I love Pineau as well - so if you do have any spare - save it for me, as well. [:)]

Twinks!!  Mark's very happy about the growing them on a tile suggestion - I can see him trying that one out, very soon.[:D]

I've loads of tiles to spare if Mark is intersted.  We had a massive storm last month and about 6 got blown off my roof!  A couple of slices of melon goes really well with goats cheese too.  See?  Back on topic again[:)]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

I suppose you will be nabbing my hubby to fix your roof next time we come over then.  Whilst flashing your melons under his nose.

[/quote]

I beg your pardon!!  & there was me thinking Twinkle as a nice girl - I'm keeping Mark well away!!  [blink]