MELONS!

TWINKLE

No I was referring to your cleavage.  And the reason I have not cooked for him for two weeks is because you are interupting me on the phone all the time.  Hence I now choose not to answer it in case it is you and I tell everyone I have a fault on the line.  Just off to peel some spuds..... er sorry melons.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I actually grew 10 of them successfully a few years ago.  They grow very close to the ground with huge leaves (like pumpkins)  but they weren't ready to eat 'til about July.  My hubbys grandmother sugested that I lay the fruit ...

[/quote]

I thought of you on Saturday Twinkle, bought our first melon.  Have you layed many lately ?   [geek]

The traditional method to test the type of Spanish melons that you are on about is to take a sharp pointed knife and cut a small cube or rectangular piece and remove it from the side, see if its OK. This is / was normal practise in rural Spanish markets but I doubt that it would go down too well in a supermarket!

Charentaise, push the end where the stem was, if it gives and feels soft and smells, it's ripe.

Chris

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Sorry I am back now and hubby said of course he will do your roof and try your melons. Oh and Twinks, my pnone is working again. [:D][/quote]

My roof has been repaired thank you. Didn't even have to get my melons out[:-))]

(Background music - theme to the "Benny Hill Show")

[quote user="Christine Animal"][quote user="TWINKLE"]

I actually grew 10 of them successfully a few years ago.  They grow very close to the ground with huge leaves (like pumpkins)  but they weren't ready to eat 'til about July.  My hubbys grandmother sugested that I lay the fruit ...

[/quote]

I thought of you on Saturday Twinkle, bought our first melon.  Have you layed many lately ?   [geek]

[/quote]

I beat you in the quiz L'Animal[;-)]

Hello Ali,

How can it possibly work in Tesco's ?

Their sell by dates are meaningless because they never have any fruit that is actually ripe when you buy it and neither will it ripen with the passage of time.

(Neither do they have any red meat that is edible or daily baked bread that is properly cooked for that matter !)

They bring a whole new meaning to the word 'green' !

If Carlsberg made the worst supermarket in the world - it would be Tesco!

Jenny.[6]