Elderflower cordial

Meg

I have just been reading last years posts about Elderflower cordial. Which has motivated me to give it a try!

Just been to the pharmacy to ask for citric acid and got a very strange look and was told no! I attempted an explanation of what it was for (in my bad French) but got an even stranger look!! Couldn't work out if it was no i can't have any or no we don't sell it!

So instead undeterred i have tried the following:

1kg sugar, 1 lemon,1 litre water boiled together and poured over 18 flower heads.

Decided to only do a small batch, just in case. I am now awaiting the outcome!!

Has anyone else tried it without citric acid?? How long should this keep for??? I may try another pharmacy next week for citric acid!

Louise

>>>Has anyone else tried it without citric acid?? <<<

Have you tried with sharp lemon juice.... or put more lemons than recipe calls for.....

Did you ask for 'acide citrique pour faire de la limonade' ?.... sure it must be along with the baking powder, sucre vanille and all that baking stuff in the supermarket.

Just finished it!!!

Delicious!!!

No i didn't say the 'pour faire da la limonade', will have to try again i think.

What is citric acid/ vinegar supposed to do?? Because it tastes lovely without! I was quite generous with the lemon though!

I too had problems buying citric acid last year:  none to be found

in the supermarkets, first pharmacy just said 'non!' and the second

obviously found it a very odd request.  Eventually after a long

discussion between the pharmacist and the counter staff, some was

weighed out for me into a small packet.  I forget how much it cost

but it seemed an awful lot at the time.  I afterwards found out

that citric acid is often used by drug addicts (don't know precisely

what for) so my reputation is probably in ribbons in the town! 

But it was worth it for the end result - the cordial was fantastic, and

served well diluted with lots of ice it was unbelievably

refreshing.  I have been involved with visitors for the last few

weeks and thought I had missed this year's crop so I am now off to

check out the places which had the best blossoms last year.

Val

[quote user="louweezel"]Just finished it!!!

Delicious!!!

No i didn't say the 'pour faire da la limonade', will have to try again i think.
What is citric acid/ vinegar supposed to do?? Because it tastes lovely without! I was quite generous with the lemon though!

[/quote]

I made elderflower cordial last year, using lemon juice rather than citric acid, as you say, it was delicious.

Two problems though, mine started to ferment (even in my cool cellar, and "popped" several corks).  It didn't keep to well either, and started to grow a strange stringy thing in each bottle.

So... this year I will be making it the same way, but pouring it into plastic bottles and freezing it [:)]

I had exactly the same response in England from several pharmacies (pharmacists looking shifty, scuttling into the back room to ask) and eventually found out that it was because it's used for drug production. I eventually got hold of a stash, after going in looking as respectable as possible and with well scrubbed toddler in tow.

Ever tried buying saltpetre in England! As well as certain types of cooking it is used in bomb making. After considerable questioning I managed to buy some. I am probably on a suspected IRA list and the beef dish (forget exactly what) wasn't that good anyway.

20 elderflower heads

1.8kg granulated or caster sugar

1.2 litres water

2 unwaxed lemons

75g citric acid (or your drug/explosive of choice)

1. Shake your elderflowers to get out the bugs.  Put in bowl. 
  2. Put sugar in pan with water and bring to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
  3. While sugar syrup is heating pare off lemon zest and sling in with elderflowers.  Slice lemons, chuck out the ends, put slices in the bowl.
  4. Pour over boiling syrup then stir in citric acid.
  5. Cover with cloth and leave 24 hrs.
  6. Strain through sieve lined with muslin.  In absence of muslin rinse an open-mesh J-cloth in boiling water.
  7. Pour cordial into clean (pref. sterilised) bottles.
Serve diluted with fizzy water on ice with a bit of mint and lemon slice.  Or try with gin or vodka or white wine.

Courtesy of the OH.

Phil

[quote user="Cassis"]
By the way, don't confuse it with ground elder which is uncannily similar in leaf and flower but grows on the ground!
[/quote]

Elderflowers have also a lovely scent and a very short season, soon all these lovely white flowerheads will turn into bunches of little blackish berries with which you can make jams/jellies with.

Groundelder is a weed, growing with a large underground root system, smells of nothing (if a slightly off putting smell), then will make seeds NOT berries.